Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_Belle_X

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 2 year old Murray Darling. He’s been doing really well, good sheds, eating great, pooping etc. Today I saw he had his mouth open like he was yawning. There’s been no signs of sickness or anything like that and he seems his usual self. Is this normal (it’s the first time I’ve ever seen him have his mouth open when he wasn’t eating so I immediately got worried)? He last ate about 5 days ago (Jumbo rat) and he did poop today. Should I be worried?

Some videos and photos of the snake in question. (Also the breeders choice litter in the enclosure is temporary for this week until I can get to the shop for some proper substrate)

Attachments

• IMG_2885.MOV
    43.3 MB
  • 24801D2A-E39D-4553-A211-78517A39DBD3.jpeg
    24801D2A-E39D-4553-A211-78517A39DBD3.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 42CBFCD2-C8BE-4743-8383-5039C9933503.jpeg
    42CBFCD2-C8BE-4743-8383-5039C9933503.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 20
Is this the first time you have ever caught him yawning?
Unless you can see some type of injury or something stuck in his mouth like a piece of woody substrate I can't see any reason to be concerned.

I have multiple snakes and I rarely catch them yawn but they all do, usually you will see them do it after they eat to "reset" their jaws, but from they will just yawn too.

I try to catch them on film when ever I see them but usually I miss it.
I find it really cool because it's the one chance you have to see all their teeth.
See my coastal below mid yawn.

Such a beautiful young boy you have their, I have an MD too, a little older than yours at around 12 years.
They have such a menacing and chunky look to them whilst having such a calm personality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-214156_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-214156_Gallery.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210407_174429.jpg
    20210407_174429.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 14
Is this the first time you have ever caught him yawning?
Unless you can see some type of injury or something stuck in his mouth like a piece of woody substrate I can't see any reason to be concerned.

I have multiple snakes and I rarely catch them yawn but they all do, usually you will see them do it after they eat to "reset" their jaws, but from they will just yawn too.

I try to catch them on film when ever I see them but usually I miss it.
I find it really cool because it's the one chance you have to see all their teeth.
See my coastal below mid yawn.

Such a beautiful young boy you have their, I have an MD too, a little older than yours at around 12 years.
They have such a menacing and chunky look to them whilst having such a calm personality.
Thank you so much ☺️ Your MD is absolutely gorgeous! They’re such amazing snakes everyone always comments on how calm and tame he is! It’s been the first and only time I’ve ever caught him doing it. I definitely overreacted a bit but I love him so much I want to make sure nothing is wrong!

Unless you see mucus or something in its mouth or it does it often, it’s not something to worry about

And can sometimes be a sign that a slough is approaching or adjusting jaw after a big feed

Unless you see mucus or something in its mouth or it does it often, it’s not something to worry about

And can sometimes be a sign that a slough is approaching or adjusting jaw after a big feed
So we learn something new, just for my own understanding, how is yawning a sign of sloughing?
Do we see the blue eyes then the yawning comes after as a secondary sign or are we saying that yawning is another sign of immediate shed such as rubbing our face?

(Sorry I have never heard that so I'm curious)

So we learn something new, just for my own understanding, how is yawning a sign of sloughing?
Do we see the blue eyes then the yawning comes after as a secondary sign or are we saying that yawning is another sign of immediate shed such as rubbing our face?

(Sorry I have never heard that so I'm curious)
Just from personal experience I’ll notice “yawns “ either right before shedding or after a bigger than normal feed

but for example I saw my coastal “yawn” yesterday afternoon, woke up this morning to a nice old slough 2767497E-CF1E-4477-A364-F5096BA0C083.jpeg

Just from personal experience I’ll notice “yawns “ either right before shedding or after a bigger than normal feed

but for example I saw my coastal “yawn” yesterday afternoon, woke up this morning to a nice old slough View attachment 332744
Ahh ok, cool cool, I understand.
Mine do the same, I take it as a stretching thing.
Thanks for that.

Latest posts

Back