Snakes suitable for younger children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talanthas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on suitable snakes for handling by young children. My grandson is almost 5 and I would like to have a snake that he would be able to deal with. Obviously under supervision. I was thinking Children's python as the obvious choice but would love to hear from more experienced people.

Thinking of getting an adult or a hatchling?
I have a yearling ghost childrens, my dad got a yearling T+ stimsons. Both are tiny animals (mine was 50cm Dads little guy had slower start and is only 35cm) and this is a big concern for me with my youngest who's 7, he's not the... gentlest/most aware child??? and obviously always supervise, but even with that I worry when he's not paying attention that he'll hurt the little noodle, never intentional just not being as careful as he should. They're very delicate creatures, depends on your child, my 9yr old is a natural at handling snakes and does it deftly without any concern that he's going to hurt it, not an age thing more a personality thing.
Depends on how big an animal you're after full grown also, Anteresia (childrens stimsons spotted) only get 1m to 1.2m bit over as adults, and at fattest part 50c coin. So for me that's what I wanted as first snake (I know more are to come in future now that I've given in to it), to grow with the kids. Dad got his too knowing that it will one day end up at my house as he is older in years and won't be around for whole life of the snake. If you want something bit bigger when it's older go a woma or blackheaded, or carpet of one kind or another, you can get them as a hatchling/yearling and handle it up lots and it'll grow with your child and start at a more... robust size?
Again it all depends on your situation, your child's interest.... I assume realistically that the snake will be yours. So get what YOU are interested in and able to confidently handle, get it young so can handle it up loads and be happy with it, your grandson can handle it too and grow in confidence as it grows etc.

I am planning on making my own enclosures with the intent to get a bearded dragon and a diamond python. It's not that much more to make a third enclosure. It was a bit of an idle thought to get a smaller snake that a 5 year old could handle. No way I would let him handle a hatchie of any kind. That would be a strictly look and not touch reptile. I will have to reevaluate the thought process behind it.

Any docile and well-handed snake can be good with kids, but the Antaresias (Childrens, Stimsons and Spotteds) are definitely better for the little ones, due to their small size.

Back