Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

All those in the Newcastle, Central Coast and Sydney areas, do not forget that the SOFAR reptile expo is on tomorrow(21/11/04) at the Wet Lands centre at Newcastle.

It was a great day last year, and this year should be even better. If you have nothing on tomorrow why not come along and support this great event.

I was going to go with a mate of mine but I am unable to now. :(

Yeah I plan to head up there, looking forward to it...Does anyone know what the times are?

Sounds interesting, but I have no idea what SOFAR is, or where the wetlands center is...can anyone fill me in with some details? I'd like to go and check it all out.

Vat69

SOFAR(society of frogs and reptiles) is the Newcastle based herp club. The expo will be held at the Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland.
from about 9 till about 5pm.

Thanks, much appreciated.

If anyone takes photos of the event, PM me and I'll create a photo album to post them to in APS gatherings. Maybe we should rename that gallery to "APS Gatherings & Other Events"?

Just got back from the wetlands centre. Shocking weather unfortunately...too drizzly. I don't think it would have been unreasonable to rename it the SOFAR Diamond Python expo. If I saw one, I saw a thousand today. Not much variety in lizards which was a bit disappointing for me, but not sure it mattered to most people. A few jungles, womas, blackheads, bredli. A coupla frogs, geckos, childreni, maculosa, etc.

Mick from Reptiles 'r Us had some beautiful little Water Python hatchies. If I had an enclosure ready I would have bought them...they were awesome. I actually find Mick a really good bloke and full of great info....it's a shame when potential customers question so much of what he says (which happened last year when I happened to be at his stall).

I also happened to see the 2 biggest Shinglebacks I've ever come across...these things were huge.

While I was only there a short time, I chose not to check out the pit show, instead went to a talk by Gerry Swan. He spoke about some work he did over the last 4 months where his job was pulling animals out of a trench that had been dug for a 460m gas pipe in QLD. He rescued over 3500 animals with Steve Wilson. Much to everyone's delight, all Cane Toads found in the trench (at least thousands) were left to effectively dry out from the sun and die. 6 cats were killed in the making of this production. Also I bought a copy of his "A Field Guide to Reptiles of New South Wales" and got it signed :)

The day was good but I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the animals displayed.

Simon Archibald

And also I was incorrect...the work Gerry Swan and Steve Wilson did went from March to August, not the last 4 months.

Simon Archibald

2 far for meeee

Redline, why in every topic that involves travel or a sale do you say something along the lines of "to far for me". There is no point in doing this, and it just wastes peoples time.

Regards Alex

Just got back from there myself...had quite an enjoyable day. Saw bigguy and watched him do a few of his shows (must of been getting sick of me, sorry mate ;)), very well done and informative. Was good to meet some of you :) Always nice to put a name to a face.

sofar

Howdy, took the kids down for a look today and ended up staying half the day! I thought it was great. Such an event must be a huge amount of work for just a few guys, congratulations guys - and girls.
Everything there portrayed professionalism and was a great promotion of our hobby. (everything was great that is except the jazz band - it drove me and anyone else actually trying to talk absolutely nuts!)
The kids were well catered for and had a great time. Amongst the pythons on display were woma, black headed, jungles, diamonds, scrubbies, childrens, hypo bredli. Some of the lizards were gilleni, beardies, water dragons, stumpies, southern leaf tailed geckos, what I think were nephrurus levis? Got a photo of my kids with Bigguys awesome spencers - what a placid critter hey!
You are one hard man to please Simon!!! No glauerti there mate what a pissa.
My little fella got himself a "sick" hermit crab and a bud bought a pretty little girl MD hatchy from Pets r us.
Was a good day, good on you guys - and girls.
Bye, Steve.

RE: sofar

Fishead,

You are right, Simon is hard to please. I thought it was a great day except for 2 things. One, it rained for the first hour or so and TWO. That bloody Jazz band. I had a headache that could kill a horse and that bands music went through my skull like a drill.

Congratulations to Brad and the SOFAR group for another sucsessful day. Well done guys. Great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back