Soil recommendations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auguriim

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I plan to attempt bioactive or just partial bioactive for my blue tongues and for the longest time I’ve been searching bunnings and can’t find anything that looks safe. I heard organic fertilisers like bone or blood etc are ok as long as it’s not manure. Is this true? If not then I’m at a loss because ”fertiliser free” doesn’t seem to exist.

Is this brand good? If not please tell me what other brands are safe?

I’d also like to know what plants can take a beating without dying and doesn’t require an expensive LED grow light if possible?

Attachments

• C9905081-CE21-4F5C-9494-BC0DF6BD0DF1.jpeg
    C9905081-CE21-4F5C-9494-BC0DF6BD0DF1.jpeg
    659.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey mate, most of my guys are on bioactive although my bluey isn't but here's the recipe I've used in the past for bioactive setups (i will say this mix is made with highish humidity in mind so maybe take that into account and change some stuff up or alternatively just keep an eye on overwatering/mould or whatever).

i don't recommend using just one product for the substrate, Idk why but none of the commercial products have a good consistency to them and tend to retain A LOT of moisture and become easily compacted - you want to make sure the substrate stays aerated despite having a heavy lizard constantly stomping on it (you also want plants to thrive obviously)

There are loads of recipes online, the most common you'll see is the classic ABG mix - this mix is near impossible to make in aus due to the scarcity of tree fern fibre so I use a sort of trial and error spin-off of the following:
- 2 parts organic compost
- 2 parts wood chips (i used orchid bark but it's pretty up to whatever you prefer just try to avoid cedar, eucalypt and pine as these may be toxic)
- 2 parts coco coir
- 1 part sand
- 1 part sphagnum moss.
I also threw in a bit of organic fertiliser with trace elements included to boost the plants.
(all this stuff you can grab from bunnings)

as for plants the only thing ive got with my bluey atm is some aloe vera - just because he will eat literally anything and everything and its the only thing i knew off the top of my head was non-toxic. If you research some other lizard-safe plants lmk!

Thanks! I‘m gonna do a mix anyway just curious if this soil would be good with like coco peat, sand and euci mulch. I don’t think eucalyptus is toxic, been using it for years bedding and branches and never had an issue though, might become an issue if there’s poor ventilation I think.

I’ve heard of aloe vera but I’m honestly not a fan of succulent plants anymore because they’re so overused now in “arid” bioactive setups lol. I know spider plants and some grasses like carex grass are safe and fairly hardy so I might consider getting those.

Thanks! I‘m gonna do a mix anyway just curious if this soil would be good with like coco peat, sand and euci mulch. I don’t think eucalyptus is toxic, been using it for years bedding and branches and never had an issue though, might become an issue if there’s poor ventilation I think.

I’ve heard of aloe vera but I’m honestly not a fan of succulent plants anymore because they’re so overused now in “arid” bioactive setups lol. I know spider plants and some grasses like carex grass are safe and fairly hardy so I might consider getting those.
yeah just did some more research I think you're right about eucalyptus, I had a vet tell me years ago to take it out of a shingleback enclosure because it's toxic and never thought to question it (since learned most vets don't know anything about reptiles lol). Forget what I said about that haha I might even go out and buy some myself.

Read your post a bit better and realised you were only looking for specific products sorry, I never had any luck finding anything fertiliser free at bunnings, in the end, I've always opted for mixes that just say 'organic' or contain 'organic fertiliser' honestly I don't think its a massive issue so long as the lizard isn't shovelling huge amounts into their mouths. I've used the garden basic 25L organic compost from bunnings as well as the one you posted mixed into other stuff with no issues to date if that helps at all :)

totally get where you're coming from with the aloe thing, post whatever you end up using i'd be interested to see and get some ideas!

Aged Eucalyptus isn't toxic to "Australian reptiles and amphibians" they've spent the last few thousand years evolving with it, but common sense should be used in replicating natural habitat - eg. So you wouldn't load up an enclosure with Eucalyptus for a reptile naturally occurring from spinifex country but we do use it with 9 different species of Australian frogs and everything else we keep that naturally habits Eucalyptus forests, it's very beneficial in keeping the enclosure sanitary plus a lot of good bacterias that occur in Australia will thrive on it.
Bluies are prone to having a dig and burrowing so keep this in mind with the layout of the bioactive tank, you don't want him down in that soil layer.
Also a worthy mention is that Lomandra confertifolia is tough little native plant, it can deal with all sorts of light and heat levels. It thrives in our woma and energia bioactive enclosures.
Agree with @ameliasark on making your soil mix, sphagnum peat not coir is totally underated too as it has natural anti bacterial properties and would also add some gravel or river sand to keep it well drained, it should be light and airy.
I'm actually coming to the end of a two year bioactive study that involved some of the best soil scientists, pedologists, hydrologists and zoologists in the world and we will be launching a black label bioactive substrate business strictly for Australian keepers at the Brisbane Reptile expo in April 2023.
Good luck, sounds like a fun project.
20221022_093036.jpg

I plan to attempt bioactive or just partial bioactive for my blue tongues and for the longest time I’ve been searching bunnings and can’t find anything that looks safe. I heard organic fertilisers like bone or blood etc are ok as long as it’s not manure. Is this true? If not then I’m at a loss because ”fertiliser free” doesn’t seem to exist.

Is this brand good? If not please tell me what other brands are safe?

I’d also like to know what plants can take a beating without dying and doesn’t require an expensive LED grow light if possible?
Hey, I know this is a bit of a stretch seeing as you posted this in 2022, but I'm trying to set up a bioactive for some marbled geckos and was wondering if the soil from bunnings (if you used it) worked for you, and if not, if there's any other soil like substrate you could recommend that isn't coco peat as that would likely make the humidity too high

Latest posts

Back