Something to be worried about or not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nachothesnek

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post but just wanted to check. We have a young Darwin who’s getting use to being handled still so occasionally we may get a nip. Got bitten myself for the first time (and probably not the last) but it got me thinking. I’m currently pregnant, should I be avoiding getting bitten? I’m a vet nurse so use to bites and scratches of all kinds so not phased at all but didn’t know if it was something I should be worried about. I was trying to handle him a bit closer to his head today so ultimately I know why he struck.

Hello and welcome. Have you reached out to your OB?
Guys more knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your question.

I don’t have an appointment for another 4 weeks sadly and it’s just with midwives. I’ve tried to Google and most of it is about venomous snakes and not so much about household pets so figured snake experts may give some insight. I’m thinking about maybe getting some gloves to wear when handling just precautionary (I honestly don’t mind him biting me as he’s still learning). I’ve given it a good clean anyway so I’m sure it will all be fine I’m hoping!

Discussions with random strangers online aren't usually the best place to get medical advice, but personally I wouldn't see it as worth having on your radar of things to be concerned about. It shouldn't be a concern unless the snake is also biting other people who might be carrying bloodborne diseases (in which case you should be concerned whether or not pregnant and it's something people don't usually think of), and there are countless other things which are far more dangerous which you are no doubt not even thinking about or probably even aware of.

When thrown an oddball question, professionals generally just go with 'You shouldn't do that, better to play it safe'. In a litigious society they can not be in trouble for telling people to be safe and can potentially be in hot water if they say something isn't likely to be a problem. Since an OB is almost certainly going to have no clue about snakes, they'll most likely just err on the side of absurd irrational paranoia and be extremely unlikely to give any advice with any actual basis.

Unsure if you're aware but captive snakes can carry salmonella (unsure if it's rare or common) just like their wild counterparts so just make sure you are cautious when cleaning up any waste ☺️ That goes for anyone, pregnant or otherwise.

I think the risk would be minimal but I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.

Unsure if you're aware but captive snakes can carry salmonella (unsure if it's rare or common) just like their wild counterparts so just make sure you are cautious when cleaning up any waste ☺️ That goes for anyone, pregnant or otherwise.

I think the risk would be minimal but I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah I’m aware of the salmonella which is why I was curious if anyone had heard that I should avoid. Husband is doing all the enclosure and waste cleaning (for both snake and the cat) so on that front we are all okay :)

Latest posts

Back