south american turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsrx

Reaction score
not sure which section this would best be suited in, but im wondering if anyone knows if there are any south american types of turtles available at all in australia?, or if im just on a wild goose chase?.

thanks mark~

oh well thought id ask anyway.

thanks for the quick reply =].

lol yeh, but if you buy one who's gonna get you in trouble for it, most people wont even know.

if you did get caught with one, which is highly unlikely, whats the general punishment?.

thanks mark =P

lol yeh, but if you buy one who's gonna get you in trouble for it, most people wont even know.

if you did get caught with one, which is highly unlikely, whats the general punishment?.

thanks mark =P

The penalty is encouraging foreign diseases within Australian Reptiles, not cool!

Possible fines and imprisonment of $100 000 and 10 years respectively. Coupled with the knowledge that you are a tosser for putting our native animals and environment at risk. ;)

thanks mark =P

Check the Punishment for Cornsnake Possesion thread. You can be caught. A member on here was dobbed in by another member, and another bloke by his neighbor. My local petshop owner dobbed a bloke in when he found out the mice (live) he was buying were being fed to a corn and a boa.

Why encourage the trade of exotics mate. The animal will have been smuggled here in substandard conditions, could harbour disease etc etc etc. There are a million threads on here re exotics. To cut it short................dont do it.

We have some spectactular turtles native to Aus, that you can keep, and show off. Why own an exotic that you have to hide, when you could have a Krefts or something. ;)

Thats my rant for the day :D

google the red eared sliders effect on our native waterways.

better yet, email 'Craig Latta' and tell him you want to buy a slider, or snapper.. even tho its illegal.

I dont condone exotics but just take a second to think???
Exotics have been in australia for decades, if they were going to kill all our natives we would have none left by now.

But in my opinion we have the best turtles here, GET A LICENCE and buy a PIG NOSE TURTLE OR A PAINTED TURTLE, Fantastic animals

Exotics have been in australia for decades, if they were going to kill all our natives we would have none left by now.

But in my opinion we have the best turtles here, GET A LICENCE and buy a PIG NOSE TURTLE OR A PAINTED TURTLE, Fantastic animals

Do you have ANY knowledge AT ALL on the effect of sliders on our native waterways? CLEARLY you do not.

or perhaps the cane toad?

It usually takes them awhile to get established before any serious damage is done, so that is a very naive comment.

difference being cane toads etc were released straight into the wild. yeah exotics of all sorts have been here for decades and decades and i believe the risk of them harming our wildlife through disease is slim. they definatly would have an impact if relesed (accidently or purposely). ive heard of/seen stcks of different species of exotics here including burms, retics and vipers. imagine if burm and retics were able to establish themselves in the wild (which wouldnt take much). i cant think of many if any animals that could stand up to full grown burm or retic. theyd have a MASSIVE impact.
if it could be guarenteed that exotics would never make it into the wild id be all for them, but there is no way in the world tht can ever be guarenteed or even close to

Do you have ANY knowledge AT ALL on the effect of sliders on our native waterways? CLEARLY you do not.

or perhaps the cane toad?

I do. I let my pet cane toads swim with my flock of sliders all th time. They love being together. :)

Isn't there supposed to be a population of Sliders in the creeks around Mango Hill, north of Brisbane?

I've caught sliders at Macintosh Island on the Gold Coast (the park where the indy track start/finish line is).

There's plenty of them in the big main pond with the island in the middle.

There used to be a fairly large native turtle poulation there until the red eared sliders got in there. Not reccomended, they're a good example of a posterchild for exotic pest species that took over our natives. I dont condone keeping them at all - but people will do what people want to do so, thats where they are.

Cool. That is where I let all of my cichlids go when I was getting out of them. With all the Sliders in there, the cichlid numbers should be kept down so they don't take over.

thanks mark =P

very stupid comment there.

i am not pro or con exotics. but while it is illegal i dont see why ppl seek them out. red eared sliders, or any other of that group are very mancing pests. coming from the UK where there was a craze of these 'penny turtles' years back, now you get ponds where there are no ducks. the sliders grow big enough to take ducklings under and eat them. it is too cold in the UK for them to breed thank god, but here it isnt. they are such prolific breeders and will eat literally ANYTHING.

i didint mean to cause a stir, it doesnt mean im going to actually go out and get one, im much to lazy for that even if i wanted to lol.

but yeh sorry about the stir i was just really interested if people do get caught, and what the punishments were.

ive never kept any illegal imported animals and dont plan to, i just keep my south american cichlids, and was just interested if it was possible for some turtle friends thats all, and i wanted to keep it biotope with south american turtles hence why asking about them in particular.

thanks mark~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back