Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4me

Reaction score
Hey so I just finished posting/reading on the thread Dora vs angle headed dragon in chit chat and was wondering do all southern angle headed dragons behave like that? And are they any good for a beginner reptile keeper? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting one for my brother. He wanted an iguana but that's obviously not going to happen so I thought for his birthday I might get him a southern angle headed dragon. He has kept 2 carpet pythons in the past so he has a some experience but as far I know that's the only experience he has.

They are a very cute lizard and while they're not hard to care for, they can be quite temperamental. when I say this, I don't mean feisty or whatever I mean they're sensitive. If you change one thing around they can often go into depression (i dont know what to call it) and sulk. Then sometimes they play dead.
Although they're easy to care for, assuming your brother is younger? (im not sure) I probably wouldn't recommend them as a kids first lizard. He probably would be ok but that's just my opinion. Honestly you can't go past a beardie as a first lizard and shingles and bluies are not bad either. Even a gecko (nephrurus and other basic ones: marbles etc etc theirs a huge variety of geckos.) is very easy and although they aren't the kind of lizard you'd handle, they are very cute and interesting IMO (and easy) But for all round temperament, handling basic needs and chilled nature you can't beat a beardie as a first lizard.

However it's your choice and I understand you have 7 years of experience particularly with lizards, so you could easily help him out with the SAHD's if any problems arose.

Hope this helped! and good luck with it.

Last edited:
How old is your brother?
Something like a Bearded Dragon would be more ideal, and still have the spiky-iguana type look.

Why don't you ask him what he would like? Take him the store and let him choose.

from what i have heard it is not the ideal beginner lizard
correct me if im wrong? woops lol
why don't you get him another carpet? im sure you'll be able to give him help to look after it, or geckos does he have a reptile license??

Last edited:
Actually he is more then twice my age, 28 years old to be exact. However when it comes to reps he is a bit of a noob but that's ok he has not been around animals his whole life;). He has done a lot to help me out so its time to return the favour and I'm sick of him asking about getting an iguana.

Don't worry I would have made the same assumption. Oh and thanks guy'S for the advice given so far.......

I would say a SAHD is a poor substitute for an iguana and would not fill the same role.
Why does he want the iguana? looks? size? being able to handle it?

In my opinion, they are more temperamental than Boyds. I wouldn't really recommend them as a first lizard. One of mine constantly sulks for the smallest of reasons. They also hate the heat and stress very easily if they don't have running water and a cool retreat. Mine is sulking again today as it is stinking hot here. You also have to be very careful of them developing MBD as they like to live under a canopy and don't get as much exposure to UV light as other basking lizards. Taking them out in the sun needs to be done in the milder parts of the day.

I would say a SAHD is a poor substitute for an iguana and would not fill the same role.
Why does he want the iguana? looks? size? being able to handle it?
Looks I think? And I don't think he realises how big an iguana gets or the fact that there are no species native to Aus so that rules out those factors. I don't want to get him a Body's forest dragon because I don't think he could handle it. I thought of the SAHD because 1. There a bit smaller then a Boyd's 2. I now where I can buy a SAHD 3. I think they are a bit more interesting and 4. The only reason I would get him a Boyd's is because they are the closest thing ,that I know of, to an iguana.

Last edited:
Looks I think? And I don't think he realises how big an iguana gets or the fact that there are no species native to Aus so that rules out those factors. I don't want to get him a Body's forest dragon because I don't think he could handle it. I thought of the SAHD because 1. There a bit smaller then a Boyd's 2. I now where I can buy a SAHD 3. I think they are a bit more interesting and 4. The only reason I would get him a Boyd's is because they are the closest thing ,that I know of, to an iguana.

Sounds like none of the reasons have the intended lizards best interests at heart :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

However when it comes to reps he is a bit of a noob but that's ok.
Ooh the irony, I guess we are fortunate he doesn't make an account on here also.
As the expert reptile keeper of the family you should know that they are not the best choice of present for your brother.

Trust me if he screws up I will take it off him and get him a garden skink and I will look after the little guy until he learns how to look after him as friend and not just as another thing of his. Hopefully this will not be the case.

Trust me if he screws up I will take it off him and get him a garden skink and I will look after the little guy until he learns how to look after him as friend and not just as another thing of his. Hopefully this will not be the case.
Where can you get them?, I am after some.

Why dont you get him a Water Dragon, being Australia's biggest dragon and also having basic husbandry surely that would be a good choice

Yeh but I'm not sure he wants one, I'll ask him. I'm trying to make sure he does not suspect anything it's meant to be a surprise gift but water dragons are still interesting yet they can be a little to skittish, I don't think he is to worried about that he is married and his wife will gat a little to freaked out if it becomes aggressive though.
P.S any other advice would be great.

Last edited:
Yeh but I'm not sure he wants one, I'll ask him. I'm trying to make sure he does not suspect anything it's meant to be a surprise gift but water dragons are still interesting yet they can be a little to skittish, I don't think he is to worried about that he is married and his wife will gat a little to freaked out if it becomes aggressive though.
P.S any other advice would be great.

Did you pay attention to my Nephews video? Angle headed can be quite skittish as well + are not as hardy as Water Dragons.
Just get him a Beardy

i reckon they should put AHD's back on a R2 licence. i am totally against AHD's being a persons first pet dragon. they are NOT easy to keep. they sulk ALOT, they play dead, even moving 1 fake plant around they could start sulking and refuse food for days even weeks.

i know all to well, i bought 2 last year off a guy who was not expirienced and the male was that underwight his ribs stuck out, the female i did not notice till later on had a mouth infection, i took them on and payed for them even though i knew the male was underweight and had to pay a big vet bill, and still am pay for them to get seen to by a vet.

the reptiles wealther must come first and buying a "noob" an AHD is not in the reptiles best interest.

a bearded dragon or eastern water dragon is a better alternative.

i reckon they should put AHD's back on a R2 licence. i am totally against AHD's being a persons first pet dragon. they are NOT easy to keep. they sulk ALOT, they play dead, even moving 1 fake plant around they could start sulking and refuse food for days even weeks.

Completely agree!!!
I got them as one of my first animals and five died out of nine to get a stable colony and in all truth I could go 1 less
as it shows minimal MBD and is quite skinny. The only people I know who find it relatively easy to keep them are the people who live where they come from and keep them outside. On top of being very heat sensitive they also need a fair space for each individual to live in. As far as sulking I've had to put a sheet over the front of the enclosure to stop this so as you can tell I get to look at them heaps!!!:rolleyes:
Now I have nailed everything else about them they are readily breeding for me and here comes a new problem. They prefer incubation temps at about 24*C and can stand spikes up to 29*C for short times but keeping temps at a steady 24*C also leads to poor incubation rates. More fun!!!

I am far more experienced with them now (3 years later) and keep these for 2 main reasons.
(1) The are gorgeous looking little dragons with comedic antics (when I can catch a look).
(2) I hate making life easy for myself and enjoy a bit of a semi-scientific endevour so these little buggers keep me on my toes.

Neither of these reasons are good enough in my opinion to keep them as a first animal and risk animal welfare.

We first got Eastern Water Dragons because I think they look the most like Iguanas in Australia and If you can get a male/female pair you will find with handling that the males become quite tame and you can basically let them run free as they wont go to far from their harem or beginings of. If we take ours in public we have a harness for them (and a pocket full of tissues for the ultimate poop coming your way).

Hope this helps and please remember animal welfare combined with the fact that SAHDs are less than 20% the size of an Iguana so looking alike is kind of reduced.

P.S-Do you mean Iguana or Chameleon because IMO SAHDs look more like Pygmy Chameleons than Iguanas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back