Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

Score after 1st round

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 1
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 2
soulweaver 2
staffsrule 1
Dicco 2
danep 1
munkee 1
newtosnakes 1
jonno 1
southy 1
junglemad 1
westaussie 1

What a great answers we have here. Impossible to judge fairly this first one.
I marked all post saying that 3 weeks is nothing and there is not concern with one point, and first 3 with sort of complete knowledgeable answer with 2 points
It was hard to mark, because there was so many and most of them well done. I pasted some answers to hints and tips. I like personally one from westie and one from JandC_Reptiles.
But his , newtosnakesn and some other complete answers came after first three and people would complain that people answering later had the advantage. I am sure that people posting later did not need to read the other post to come with complete answer as they did.

I apologize to all people who think that this marking is wrong. It is my fault not to use pm messaging for this task. I will improve in the future . Remember that this comp will go for long time.

Question 2

You notice that your snake's tongue is not forked. Both tips are pointing in the same direction instead of pointing to right and left as they should ? the tips look like they are glued together.

What is the reason why this is happening and what could be wrong with your snake?

Please e-mail your answer to [email protected]

Score after 2nd round

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 3
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 3
staffsrule 1
Dicco 3
danep 3
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 2
junglemad 2
westaussie 1
olivehydra 1
BUCK 1
KAHN 1

What a great answers again people. My e-mail was full on sunday and monday. I selected few best answers, and pasted them to hints and tips forum on our site. Lot of people forgot to mention quarantine in section where they reccomending people what to do.
From all answers We awarded 2 best with extra point.
Congratulation

This is question put in to comp by doc Rock. It is bit hard, but I think that if younger herpers do bit of research, they can beat the experienced in this question. I recommend to people who like to join comp to answer this one even if they don't know full answer.

Again sent answer to my e-mail
[email protected]

good luck with that one people.

Question n.3

This is my first suggestion for you as a question for our competition. Since morph breeding is growing around the world and lots of people talk about breeding albinos (including me!) I thought it was topical. It is not an easy one and will sort the boys and girls out ?..

Question: Who was the first person in the world to line breed albino snakes and prove that it was an inheritable and recessive trait. What sort of snakes were they and what other interesting facts can you add about this event and any other milestones in breeding albinos.

Score after 3th round

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 3 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 3
staffsrule 1
Dicco 4
danep 4
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 3
junglemad 3
westaussie 1
olivehydra 3
BUCK 1
KAHN 1

Well done again people. This question was hard and we alocated 3 points for perfect answer, but nobody was able to doit. Only Olivehydra have 2 points from doc.

I am leaving Sydney for 3 days tomorrow afternoon. This is reason why next question will be announced Friday instead Sunday. Dedline for this question will be Sunday evening.

My bike trip was canceled due to weather condition. But I will stick to previous announcement and start question for today instead Sunday to avoid confusion.

Question 4
What is caudal luring and in which Australian pythons does this most commonly occur?

This question should be answered by Sunday evening. Please e-mail me the answers and put your nicknames there so I know who you are.
Just remember, we are talking about Australian pythons only.

I will explain how this comp will be run.
Comp will have about 25-30 question in total. One question each week will be asked and correct answers are awarded points depends how hard is the task. for hard questions up to 3 points per question. On the end of this 25-30 question period we count the points.
Best 3 players will get chance to have a go on final task. Final task will determinate the winner, with out any difference how many points he have from previous answers.

That is why is still not late to start right now to join this comp. Best players at the moment have only 4 points.

Score after 4th round

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 4 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 5
staffsrule 2
Dicco 6
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 5
junglemad 5
westaussie 1
olivehydra 5
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo2
Kahn_10 3

Perfect answers acumulated 2 points.

Sorry about delay.

This question was asked by doc and right answer is:
Answer:- Caudal luring is the act of waving the end of the tail in a way to make a python?s prey species think it is a food item and so attract it close enough to be caught and eaten. This is most commonly seen in green tree pythons and woma pythons. Other python species will sometimes wave their tails when they are excited too.

question 5 Another one from docrock
What are the biological differences between a snake and a lizard?

Please ansfer before Monday evening

score after 5th round.

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 7 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 6 and half
staffsrule 3 and half
Dicco 7 and half
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 7
junglemad 8
westaussie 1
olivehydra 7 and half
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo4
Kahn_10 3

OK people question 6 is on now. Please answer before Monday evening.

question 6

Your snake have to be force fed. Your vet told you to use small rodent. Tel us how you will do this?

Please email your answer to [email protected]

Remember question is how to forcefeed small rodent
not how to f.fed hatchling.

Thank you all for participating. This scoring was done by peterrescue. I am trying to get scoring done by different people to keep it as fair as possible.

Score for question 6.
hi Jan, this was hard. they are all deserving.
but here goes
Staffsrule 1.5.
Soulweaver 3
Southy 2.5
JandC 3
Olivehydra 2.5
Robbo 1.5
Junglemad 3
Dicco 2

score after 6th round.

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 10 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 9 and half
staffsrule 5
Dicco 9 and half
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 9 and half
junglemad 11
westaussie 1
olivehydra 10
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo 5 and half
Kahn_10 3

this 7th question is easy becaose christmas holidays.
this time we are erly for question during the holiday season.

Question 7.

Your snakes was infestated by mites. Snake just shed his skin. What you should check after shed in this situation.

Please answer by Monday evening to email [email protected]

This is the answer i Was looking for

Ensure that the snake had a complete full shed. Mites attack skin and some parts can retain on snake.
Check the snakes underside, tail and head for any skin remaining.To many animals get shed skin still left on their tails and end up with amputation and stumpy tails.
check headpeice of shed and look for both eye caps (brille) are there.

This are your posted answers.
staffsrule
I think what you should check for when snake has shed after having mites is that it is a complete shed. Cause mites cause damage to the snakes scales it may cause problems in shedding. Mite infestation can also cause shedding as well.
I guess another thing to check for would be the presence of mites still on the snake as well. Particuarly in under the chin and around the mouth, under the anal plate etc. Mites have cycles and often one treatment is not enough to completley rid the snake of mites. There still my be mite eggs in the enclosure etc, that can hatch and re infest the snake.
infestations of mites are known as acariasis and can be one of the gretest killers of captive snakes.
Staffsrule.

Junglemad

First thing i would do is wrap the shed skin up and burn it or put it in the garbage bin after spraying it with insecticide.
http://www.vpi.com/9VPITipsAndTechs/thewaragainstsnakemites/Mites-TheBattlePlan.htm
here is where i found my answer.
Mites were around before the invention of these chemicals and they will be around for years to come. In the old days mites were controlled with water. It still works today. Mites drown in water so soak the snake until all the mites drown in soapy water. The soap is the key, it reduces the surface tension of the water and makes the water and the snake wetter so the mites drown quicker.
Place the snake in a container with water just deep enough that the snake can barely submerge when resting on the bottom. An inexpensive five or ten gallon aquarium will work great for most snakes. A plastic 30 or 39 gallon trash can is good for fairly big snakes. RubberMaid makes a great inexpensive 50 gallon plastic storage box thats adequate for snakes up to 14-17 feet in length. Remember, were not talking very much water for a small snake. When soaking snakes, dont make the water so deep that the snakes have to swim to be able to breathe; they may become exhausted and drown. Its important to regulate the temperature of the bath of the snake so that it does not chill below the normal temperature to which the snake is accustomed. For most snakes, water temperature of 80-84 0F is a good range. Dont guess the temperature, measure it.
After the period of soaking, we check around the eyes of snakes to see if there are any mites surviving there--they may have been high and dry throughout the soak if the snake has kept his head out of the water. If we feel there may be mites high and dry around the eyes of a snake that is soaking, we will wipe some dilute soap around the margin of the snake's eyes. With a cotton swab, one also can wipe a little Vaseline into the space around the margin of the eyes of a snake; the "grease" of Vaseline will asphyxiate any mites present or that wander in later.
Soaking may not be possible if the snake is ill or uncoordinated, or for any reason seems at risk for drowning. Soaking may not be a good idea if the snakes are in their wintering period and are at cool ambient temperatures when the mite are discovered.
Treating a Snake Cage for Mites
Getting mites off a snake is easy. But it requires some effort to exterminate the mites in the cage of the snake. It is necessary to consider two points to successfully get rid of mites from an infested cage. First, all five life-stages of mites are probably in the snake cage, while only two of the life-stages are on the snake. Mites take nourishment from snakes in the form of blood meals. But then mites usually drop off a snake and go walking around to find a mate or some suitable other place to lay eggs. Often mites climb up the cage sides, stopping at the first corner, knothole, or seam to deposit eggs.
The second point to consider is that mite eggs may be more difficult to find and kill than the mites. In fact, when battling mites it's best to assume that some eggs will survive all your efforts and hatch out. Its no big deal as long as you realize the eggs usually hatch in 1-4 days and you take appropriate measures to be ready for them.
Now put on your latex gloves and get to work while the snake is soaking. Use a 1.5% Neguvon spray to wet the area around the infested cage, where you are about to work. Clean every thing out of the cage. If youve been using aspen bedding, bark chips, mulch or some similar substrate, dump it or carefully scoop it into a trash can, making as little dust as possible. [Any dust you create will possibly carry with it nymphal mitesdont spread your problem.] Put a moth ball in the trash can, tie the trash bag shut and get it as far from your snake collection as you can. Throw away everything thats not plastic, glass, metal or ceramic. Take everything that you are saving to reuse in the cage, such as the water bowl and hide box, and soak it in a strong disinfectant solution. We use Basic G as our disinfectant. A 10% bleach solution will work just fine.
Wash out the cage with a strong disinfectant solution, scrub it thoroughly top and bottom, every corner and nook. Most good disinfectants regularly used in cage maintenance will kill mites of any age on contact. We use Basic G (from Shaklee) mixed at oz per gallon. A 10% bleach solution can be used. Then, while the cage is still wet, take a soft bristled brush and scrub the inside and the outside of the cage. Carefully scrub the corners and seams and other possible egg laying sites. On a light-colored surface, the eggs of one female mite will appear as a tiny, tan smudge, almost invisible to the unaided eye. Often many female mites will lay their eggs in the same location. The first wash may not dislodge the eggs and the disinfectant may not kill the eggs, but the eggs are easily scrubbed free with some elbow grease and a brush. They can then be washed out of the cage.
Rinse and dry the cage. No mites should be present in your cage or on your snake at this point in your treatment. When the snake has completed his soak, put him back in his scrubbed cage. But, making the conservative assumption that, no matter what, a few mite eggs may remain behind, place the appropriate amount of pest strip in the cage for at least a week. In actual practice, we keep pest strips in the cage for three weeks. At this time, according to the battle plan, there are no mites on the snake or inside the cage--what were trying to do is block the return of any mites that may return from outside the cage. It only takes a single virgin female mite to start another infestation.
REMEMBER, snakes exposed to too high concentrations of fumes from pest strips will suffer a variety of problems, including anorexia, convulsions and death.
Treating the Snake Room for Mites
There is that last set of mites that you must consider to effect the total eradication of mites from your collection. If your snake has mites, then your snake room likely has mites. Mites, even pregnant female mites, sometimes leave your snake cage and walk around. A pregnant mite can travel dozens of feet in an hour. At that rate a mite can probably walk several times around your snake room in one night. They're certainly capable of changing cages on their own power.
When mites travel, they tend to avoid light, climb upwards, and move toward the scent of snakes. They have an amazing chemosensory ability to detect the odors of snakes. If they have gotten out of the cage with a known infestation, they likely are headed toward another one of your snake cages like tiny little black vampire bloodhounds.
Here are some suggestions for treating a mite problem in your snake room: First, protect any non-snake animals that may be sensitive to some of the chemicals youve used. Take out of the room any tarantulas, scorpions, hissing roaches, food crickets, birds, fish, small frogs, or small lizards. Remain vigilant and be on the lookout for the mites to crop up in other cages. Carefully check your other snakes' water bowls, looking for that single little fleck of black pepper that tells you the enemy is there. You will almost always find a soggy mite or two drowned in a water bowl before you see them on a snake.
After you have cleaned your infested ages, bring in your vacuum cleaner or wet/dry vacuum, first suck up a couple of moth balls into the dust bag, and then carefully vacuum the entire snake room. Carefully vacuum around each snake cage. This is especially important if you have a carpeted snake room (better known as a spare bedroom.) Vacuum the room every day for a week.
After the first vacuuming session, spray a fine mist of 1.5% Neguvon all around your room, around the infested cage(s), the baseboards, the tops of cages and racks, the undersides of shelves, all over any carpet, and especially around other snake cages. We use a 1-gallon or 2-gallon garden sprayer. Just the lightest spray will do, you don't have to soak the carpet. Neguvon smells like pesticide and I don't know that I would use it in a bedroom/snake room--but it works. Repeat the spraying in three days, and then again in a week. Put one moth ball in your snake room trash container, take out the trash in sealed garbage bags every day.
You can spray 1.5% Neguvon in the snake cages nearest to the infested cages, even spraying the snakes in their cages. However, be careful, some snakes may react badly to Neguvon; don't get carried away. Put appropriate-sized pieces of pest strips in those cages, and keep them fresh for three weeks.
We have heard from friends and read on the forums that some of the new commercially-available mite sprays and treatments are effective. We have experience with only a few and found them to be ineffective. Some are very dangerous to snakes when used inappropriately.
There's nothing particularly difficult about getting rid of mites, which is not to say that it's fun or quick. Snake mites are well-designed to thrive in captive snake collections, so it takes a good battle plan, some work, and some disciplined follow-through to eradicate them. Anyone who's had mites in their collection has learned the value of proactively treating new snakes for mites and then quarantining them for at least a couple of weeks.

Southy
ensure that the snake had a complete full shed, check the snakes underside, tail and head for any skin remaining, if not complete shed, soak the animal in water, not enough for the snake to accidently drown in and snake should be watched as too much water could lead to skin rot down the track, then genly peel excess skin off, to many animals get shed skin still left on their tails and end up with amputation and stumpy tails. also check headpeice of shed and look for both eye caps (brille) are there, if not, remove most of the stickiness from a piece of tape by pressing and removing it from a clean surface,then lightly touch the snake's eye with the tape, trying to grab the brille cap and remove it,moistening the eyecap with water or mineral oil first may help. if the eye piece is left, blindness and infections could become of this.
southy

robbo
my answer to qustion 7 is
once the snake has shed you should check the shed skin for any mites than check the snake especially around the eyes and anal scale for them
then i would carry on with the treatmet i am using to get rid of the mites til their breeding cycal has been broken
robbo

Soulweaver
Your snakes was infestated by mites. Snake just shed his skin. What you should check after shed in this situation.
After your snake has shed, you should check to see the eyes have shed as well. Mites burrow into the cavities around the eyes, causing the eye skin not to shed with the rest of the body.
Also check the cage for mites that maybe still alive and can jump back on the snake. They often hide in small dark places within the cage make-up.

JandC_Reptiles

QUESTION: Your snakes was infestated by mites. Snake just shed his skin. What you should check after shed in this situation.
ANSWER: I presume the entire collection, enclosures & the Herp room itself have already been treated than? We will assume that the above have in-deed been treated using EG: Top Of Descent or Orange medic & the animals have been quaruntined:
After an animal has shed (in this case 1 snake) I would be looking for signs of any straggling mites that may have been retained or new mites that may have hatched from their eggs that were not removed earlier. Majority of the the harder to get mites or freshly hatched mites may well of been sluffed off along with the shed skin, However it is better to be safe than sorry so I would do this treatment regardless. A final inspection is well worth the effort also. If there is any retained mites they will be at the surface of the new skin in easy to get spots & may be seen. A liberal rub down of the animal with a towel moistened with mineral oil should eradicate them. Once finished rubbing the snake down I would return it to its enclosure in the Quaruntine room (disinfected & sterile condition) After another 10 days in the quaruntine enclosure I would rub down the above mentioned snake once again, completely disinfect its vivariums (collection & quaruntine) then repeat the origin!
al treatment for mite removal (whether you used Top of Descent - Orange medic etc on the animal, & its quarters) Once this has been completed & assuming you have treated the enclosures in both the Herp collection room & the Herp quaruntine room whilst treating the infected snake, it will now be safe to return the animal back to the Herp room.

Score for question 7

Staffsrule 2 and 1/2
Junglemad 1
Southy 3
robbo 1/2
soulweaver 2 and 1/2
JandC_Reptiles 1/2

score after 7th round.

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 11 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 12
staffsrule 7 and half
Dicco 9 and half
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 12 and half
junglemad 12
westaussie 1
olivehydra 10
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo 6
Kahn_10 3

Question n.8

The tips of snakes ribs can separate widely to alow a large prey item to move down into the body.

Tel me why is this possible, is there something different in snake bone structure to allowe that happen?

Please answer by Monday evening to email [email protected]

Question 8
The tips of snake?s ribs can separate widely to allow a large prey item to move down into the body.

Tell me why is this possible, is there something different in snake bone structure to allow that happen?

Right answer for this question was:

Snakes do not have a sternum, the ribs are hinged at their base and joined at the tips by ligaments, allowing the passage of very large prey into the gut.

Your posted answers:
The reason a snakes ribs can *stretch* so far is because snakes dont have a sternum, the ribs are hinged at their base and joined at the tips by ligaments, allowing very large prey to be swallowed.
To allow the snake to breathe when swallowing large prey the reinforced windpipe is pushed forward to the front of the lower jaw while they are feeding.
Staffsrule

quite simply the snakes atonomy is missing a sternum, which in turn gives the snake the ability to swallow large prey items and allows the ribs to expand to accomodate the meal. if snakes had a sternum, their prey size would have to be much more precise because if the meal was to big, the ribs wont expand and the snake would go hungry until it found something that is suitable. evolution has showed that snakes adapted better to the environment without a sternum so it can swallow larger prey items and the ribs can seperate to accomodate any meal swallowed.
southy

Snakes do not have a sternum, the ribs are hinged at their base and joined at the tips by ligaments, allowing the passage of very large prey into the gut. There are tremendous advantages in being able to consume large meals as snakes can (and do) go for many months without feeding.
By JandC_Reptiles

Snake bone structure is different in that snake ribs are not connected to a sternum bone like us for example so the tips can spread widely. The ribs are joined in pairs to the backbone by ligaments which allow the ribs to pivot further than many animals allowing them to swallow large prey items and also to coil tightly.
Junglemad

Yes. Snakes have backbones, they are classified in the same group (vertebrates) as fish, mammals, birds, and people. The snake?s skeletal system is unique. Snake bones are very light and highly movable. The lower jaws and skull are connected by a piece of stretchy material (ligament). This allows the snake to open its mouth very wide and move each jaw independently. Thus, a snake can swallow prey much larger than its head by ?walking? its mouth around the food from side to side in a forward movement.
Soulweawer

Points for this question;

Staffsrule 3
southy 2
JandC_Reptiles 3
Junglemad 3
Soulweawer 1

score after 8th round.

steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 14 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 13
staffsrule 10 and half
Dicco 9 and half
danep 5
munkee 1
newtosnakes 2
jonno 1
southy 14 and half
junglemad 15
westaussie 1
olivehydra 10
BUCK 1
Memphis_Tank 1
robbo 6
Kahn_10 3

Answers for question n. 9

JandC_reptiles
Pin-worms
round-worms
hook-worms
whip-worms
tape-worms
lung-worms
protozoa
Ticks
Mites
Flukes
Trypanosomes
Trichomoniasis or Trichomonas
Amebiasis
Bacteria
Malaria
Dracunculoidea
Ascaridida
Spirurida
Oyurids
Dracunculoidea
Filarioidea
Kalicephalus
Capillaria
Bothridium
Ophiotaenia
Rhabdias
Hirudinea
leeches
Helminths.

As the question was "please name parasites you can find on or inside of snake body" The answers should not be held for AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS ONLY, but snakes worldwide.

Robbo
internal
- amoebae
- flagellates
- protozoa
- round worms
- tape worms
- flukes

external
- mites
ticks

Junglemad
Inside a snake may have a varity of protozoa

Flukes will effect the repiratory and urinary tract
Tapeworm in the digestive system
Roundworms in the digestive system as adult and other organs when in the juvenile stage of growth, particularly the lungs
Amoeba from contaminated food and water cause Amoebiasis
Trichomonas from rats and mice result in a condition called Trichomoniasis

The outside of a snake can harbour mites and ticks.

Southy
internal parasites

Protozoan infections:
Amoebae- death can be the first systom shown of an infection. signs to look for are lethargic muscles, reguritation of meals or not interested in feeding, unseemingly endless thirst for water, and watery-green or bloody diarrhoea or constipation. if a constipational blockage, it can be felt as a very large, hard lump usually between 3/4 to cloaca down the snake. also snakes tend to coil loosely. if any of these other symptoms dont stand out, faecal examination can be determine amoebae and flagyl is the antibotic given orally. the most comman way these infections start is through feeding infected food items. it is highly contageous and animal should be isolated immediately.

Flagellates:
can cause such diseases as necrotic enteritis. outbreaks of intestinal flagellates are often prompted by inadequate cage conditions or stress. some flagellates eg trichomonads, are that contagious that if introduced into a collection, will spread regardless of cage condition. the symptons are that simialar to amoebae. treatment involves oral administration of emtryl. if the reptile can be trusted to drink regurarly, the drug can be added to the water.

round worms:
round worms or nematodes are unsegmented and cylindrical in cross section. some round worms inhabit the digestive tracts and can reach dangerous numbers. because some worms attach themselves to the gut wall, local ulcerations that become infected can occur secondarily. you may see some ascarid worms in the faeces if in moderate numbers.worm eggs can be detected by a vet by faecal eximination. ascarid nematodes are elimated with piperazine given orally at a dosage rate of 110mg/kg. hookworms are treated with mebendozole at 50-100mg/kg.

tapeworms or skinworms:
tapeworms are parasitic flat, ribbon like worms. adult worms live in the gut and their long ribbon like body consists of a chain of segments. in this adult stage, they are usually detected in the digestive tracts. like round worms, numbers in capivity can become extremely high and cause ulcerations. they also sap the energy out and can cause malnutrition or intestinal blockages. faecal eximination again will determine the presence and will be treated with droncit at 2-7mg/kg given orally with smaller animals given higher dosages. the larvae of some tapeworms are found as cysts beneath the skin particually frog eating snakes.they cysts are harmless but for aesthetic reasons are removed by a small skin incision, then squeezed partially out then grasped by foreseps and pulled out.

flukes:
flukes are parasitic flatworms also known as trematodes. adult may live in the liver, gut, lung or blood vessels where they cause serious disease. swamp inhabiting snakes usaully have lung flukes. treatment can be difficult since the killing of the flukes can result in a more serious problem when they ldoge in respiratory tracts.

external parasites:

ticks:
ticks are usually found on wild animals. can be removed with dabbing alcohol on them, with tweezers carefully making sure not to inject poisen in. found under the scales, if not removed, will drop off eventually then may lay eggs or move onto another host.

mites:
the snake mite ophionyssus natricis is believed to be an exotic species coming with exotic imports. often the most common yet can be fatal parasite known to captive snakes, it is one parasite that all reptile owners don't want. mites like the warmth and darkness. by day the hide, while at night get under the snakes scales and sucks blood. under good conditions, they will breed when a few weeks old. a mite full of blood can fast for more than 14 days or more . the nymphs hatch out at 10-35 days, depending temperature. in no time an entire collection can be infested before you know it. they are particually dangerous to small or juvenile specimens and could end up in the death of the snake. some spectulations has it that they also carry diseases but not yet proven. once in a collection are very hard to erradicate, often with outbreaks from time to time. they can be controlled to an extent, by keeping cage conditions clean, putting new snakes through a "quarantine" process. they are so small to the naked eye are very hard to see. eye inflamination, inflamination beanth body scales, blood gorged mites and cage floor or soaking in water bowl for long periods of time. usually if soaking in water, the mites can be seen at the bottom presumably drowned. if no water bowl, may be constantly on the move rubbing against cage furniture. be careful if your snake soaks in water too long as scale rot, canker or respirartory infection may occur and make problems more serious. there are many ways to treat mites through "fogging" rooms with d-phenothrin, shelltox pest strip, dri-dir 67 powder, top of decent spray or neguvon spray. most if not all of these require the animal not to be in the room when treating and ALL food, water bowls and water sources removed. ive used top of decent before, found best used at night when the mites are active and sprayed every 3-5 days for about 6 weeks to ensure any eggs that were laid, are killed when hatched so that don't get old enough to breed and cause new outbreaks. i would meantion the other methods but i would be here till next week.

Stafsrules
Ok, on the outside of your snake you can get mites and ticks. Both of these little nasties will embed themselves under scales and around eyes ect.
Internal parasites - Roundworms, tapeworm, lungworms and flukes. These little nasties actualy live off the food your snake is trying to ingest, robbing him of much of his needed nutrients.

Both internal and external parasites can be easily passed from one reptile to another.

Points for this question;

Staffsrule 1.5
Southy 2.5
junglemad 2.5
robbo 2.5
JandC_reptiles 3

score after 9th round.
steve6610 1
JandC_Reptiles 17 and half
craig.a.c 1
OuZo 3
soulweaver 13