Species that would make the most of...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_STATS

I'm trying to decide what would make the most use of a 5 foot long by 2 wide by 3 high wooden enclosure. It was originally for my Jungle but she's still a baby and this enclosure screams lizard. I'm at the point in construction where I must make a final choice so as to continue down the specific animal's requirement path. I have thought of Beardies, Blueys and ridge tailed monitors. I have experience with Beardies but they don't really go well together and it seems too big for one. I have much experience with Blue tongues so they may be the best choice as they are wonderful little animals who give birth to live young and that would help start my breeding goal. But then Ridgeys are simply awesome and I can easily see a couple of them at home in there but I have never kept a monitor... Ha ha opinions?

What about a couple of SA Shingle Backs, i have seen some awesome variations available or maybe a Land Mullet or 2. :) ..................................Ron

Shinglebacks are Purdy. Never kept one. Do those 'shingles' make shedding a nightmare?

I'd probably go for a small monitor or some skinks, like blue or pink tongues,hosmers or Cunninghams. Shinglebacks are easy to keep, and they shed just the same as other lizards.

Don't think a Shingle could get close enough to the UV light fixture. Or a Bluey now I've thought about it :(

You don't have to have UV for shinglebacks, most keepers keep without. So the little bit it does get would be more than enough!

Small monitors, water dragons, southern angle headed dragons, tree skinks ect. Their are some great small lizards out their the love to climb. Could divide it up more and add some fancy geckos if thats what floats ya boat.

Alot of animal will make the most of it and 3ft isnt overly high considering substrate depth and the ability to add a fake rock wall.

Find a species you like the look of, do your research and setup the enclosure to suit.

Rick

Although I love love love shingles I'd say Ackie!!!! They are so awesome, especially the sandfire ones ^.^ And a much more entertaining feeding response! :D

My thermostat only goes up to 50 degrees celcius though. I hear Ridgeys need 50+ :(

My thermostat only goes up to 50 degrees celcius though. I hear Ridgeys need 50+ :(

Hot spot and ambiant temps are totally different. Hot spot needs to be 50-70 c but ambiant shouldnt exceed 34c. Run a IMIT thermostat set at 32c that will turn off if the ambiant temps get too high, as with most species basking temps should be stable.

Rick

What about having the sensor just out of the basking area? I could use my temp gun to get an estimate of where to have the sensor?

What about having the sensor just out of the basking area? I could use my temp gun to get an estimate of where to have the sensor?

With enough ventilation and lights fit for size of enclosure you shouldnt need to be running a thermostat on you lights.

I check my temps every couple days to make sure nothing has changed, ambient temperatures in summer is the only problem i had and i down sized my globes.

Maybe run small wattage lamps for a hotspot (globe close to basking site) and run a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat.

Rick

I'll have to post some photos of the enclosure when I've installed the last light. Once there's only decoration left. See what you think if that's okay?

Just for the record, a thermostat is a good idea. It stops overheating and reduces the risk of cooking your animals. Or burning your house down!

Just for the record, a thermostat is a good idea. It stops overheating and reduces the risk of cooking your animals. Or burning your house down!

Yes and no, a 50w globe will only get so hot. If you were running a 250w globe in a 2x2x2 enclosure yes it will overheat. Sizing a bulb for an enclosure is important, with a suitable wattage globe in the correct sized enclosure you wont need a thermostat.

Not having a thermostat isnt going to burn down you house.....

Rick

Yes and no, a 50w globe will only get so hot. If you were running a 250w globe in a 2x2x2 enclosure yes it will overheat. Sizing a bulb for an enclosure is important, with a suitable wattage globe in the correct sized enclosure you wont need a thermostat.

Not having a thermostat isnt going to burn down you house.....

Rick

Whilst I completely agree with you in most respects, I just prefer to be safe than sorry. Thermostats as just added protection for you and your animals. It also allows for more stable temperatures. No matter the ambient temperature of the room is, you will always get stable enclosure temps. Everyone keeps differently and believes different things, I personally wouldn't risk it but I definitely won't criticize those who prefer not to use them.

Prior to having the thermostat on my GTP enclosure, his temperatures fluctuated from the mid 40's all the way down to low 20's just depending on the ambient temperature of the room. The thermostat has added stability and the recording thermometer I use stays within 3 degrees of optimum at all times, even when I go away for the weekends and can't monitor it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back