Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutt Abul

Reaction score
Hey, super new here but would like to know (Since little experience) why my Ph. Crassipes will not eat. (Nearly 1 and a half Months.) She is moving in her burrow and NOT lying on her back for molting, but still not sure if she is in Pre-Molt. She is about 18 Months and almost mature.

Thanks,

Aiden

Don't stress.
Hard to tell without more details, but not uncommon for them not to eat for VERY long periods. Keep offering food and removing it if it doesn't get eaten. Keep a diary ( itl make it less stressful next time it goes for months without eating, you'll realise its not that uncommon)

Also though, what did you feed it and how big was it (food and spider) Most spiders will eat meals almost as big as they are, but don't expect them to eat again for ages. Best to keep the offering size down, spiders wont starve, the worst that will happen is they will grow slower but live longer. Age/size of spider and also temp will make a difference too obviously.

As far as being premoult, look for a bald spot on the back, but doesn't always appear on young spiders anyway. AS long as shes moving she should be OK. The only other thing ive had trouble with is crickets burying the entrance to the burrow if the spider isn't eating for a long time. Haven't really found a solution to that yet, I usually leave it for a couple of weeks and only resort to digging them out if I think its desperate.

Cant say im that experienced either yet, but as long as you have the basics right, you should be OK. Keep asking questions , and let us all know how you get on.

Good luck.

Hey mate, thanks for the response. My spider is about a child's hand fully stretched out (8cm).
I recently re-housed her and was really active, the reason on re-housing her was because we found mites which was only 3 days ago.
She was drinking water for a bit and later offered her male crickets only 2 cm big.
Still developing on the story about her eating since alot of webbing and can't see crickets in her big Hide/burrow (since these guys are prolific webbers).
But altogether not that sure if she has eaten the crickets.

Appreciate the help,

Aiden.

View attachment 320250
-Burrow/hide.

IMG_20170327_190602.jpg

IMG_20170404_161712.jpg
- current setup with heat mats.

Hello everyone viewing this.

Just recently found she moulted.

It's surprising,
I didn't expect this, I've never seen a spider take this long to moult.
I think my Sp. Crassipes moulted (I took out her hide to check if she was still alive today, and she was) because she was a dark bluey-black colour which only happens right after they moult, I took the crickets I had offered her out of the enclosure right away and am now leaving her be.

Thank heavens,

Aiden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I keep several T's and just wanted to offer a bit of advice, many species are obligate burrowers and therefore a heat source, like a heat mat should not be placed below their enclosure... A spider burrows to escape the heat, in your setup, the natural act of burrowing would bring them closer to the heat which is not ideal... I keep mine in an incubator at a constant 26 degrees. If you're going to use a heat mat to warm the enclosure, it should be placed on one side of it. Also, your substrate is way too shallow, it should be filled to within an inch of the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back