Spotted Python - 30cm cube Night Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benji Chaffey

Reaction score
Hey all, Ive got a baby Spotted at home and was wondering what i should use to heat it at night time and throughout the day.
Ive got a small heat mat on one side under a hide. The tank also came with a ballast and a red globe which i know i cant use throughout the night. It can get very cold where I am through autumn and winter, like minus 5-10 C°.
I have a dimmer stat and I was thinking of using a ceramic heat globe however i know this affects the ability to have a heat gradient.
Also, is it okay to use newspaper as a substrate until i upgrade to a large tank?
Any ideas and suggestions?
Cheers heaps

Hi,
Newspaper is fine for a non-permanent option. In terms heating, i like to leave non light emitting heat sources on at night as they naturally come out in the early evening to go onto roads and rocks that have been heated by the days sun and thats were they get there heat. Try to put a thermometer probe near were the heat mat is sitting and monitor the temperature it gets to at night. Ideally the hot spot should be between 28-35 degrees celsius.
Hope this helps

Hi,
Newspaper is fine for a non-permanent option. In terms heating, i like to leave non light emitting heat sources on at night as they naturally come out in the early evening to go onto roads and rocks that have been heated by the days sun and thats were they get there heat. Try to put a thermometer probe near were the heat mat is sitting and monitor the temperature it gets to at night. Ideally the hot spot should be between 28-35 degrees celsius.
Hope this helps
Cheers for the reply mate.
So a ceramic globe would work? I also have Aspen substrate but i thought newspaper might be better and easier since its quite a small tank.
Would you also recommend another thermostat for the heat mat? I have one dimmer/lighting thermostat but i heard that you can run a mat without it being plugged into a thermostat because it supposedly heats from ambient temperature.
Cheers

I agree re the newspaper, as Alex5 has said.

Your set-up sounds a bit like overkill for a "baby" snake, but you've got it now and so my suggestion is probably of little value. But a baby snake would be quite okay in a decent size plastic tub with ventilation holes melted in. 15W heat cord under one end, left on permanently (check temps before putting the snake in, of course. If too cold, loop another length under the end of the tub; if too hot, reduce by a loop and check again until right), water in a bowl at the other end with one or two hides, climbing branch, done. It's a cheap but effective option to house a baby snake over winter.

Last edited:
Your set-up sounds a bit like overkill for a "baby" snake, but you've got it now and so my suggestion is probably of little value. But a baby snake would be quite okay in a decent size plastic tube with ventilation holes melted in. 15W heat cord under one end, left on permanently (check temps before putting the snake in, of course. If too cold, loop another length under the end of the tub; if too hot, reduce by a loop and check again until right), water in a bowl at the other end with one or two hides, climbing branch, done. It's a cheap but effective option to house a baby snake over winter.
Cheers for the reply.
Yea i had a mate who was going to throw the tank and gear out so I figured I may aswell take it. Can reuse most of it in the bigger tank anyways.
I will keep your suggestions in mind mate, cheers heaps

Cheers for the reply mate.
So a ceramic globe would work? I also have Aspen substrate but i thought newspaper might be better and easier since its quite a small tank.
Would you also recommend another thermostat for the heat mat? I have one dimmer/lighting thermostat but i heard that you can run a mat without it being plugged into a thermostat because it supposedly heats from ambient temperature.
Cheers
A ceramic heat emitter is a great idea definitely needs a thermostat for heat emitter, most heat mats will switch themselves off if they get to an overly hot temperature. You cant go wrong with thermostats but it may be overkill for a heat mat. What brand of heat mat are you planning on using? I know that the reptile one does the automatic cut off once it hits a certain temperature. With this it may be trial and error testing different heat sources to see what gets you the desired temperature, as well as keeping an eye on the snake’s behaviour and making sure it doesn't overheat.
Cheers

Your set-up sounds a bit like overkill for a "baby" snake, but you've got it now and so my suggestion is probably of little value. But a baby snake would be quite okay in a decent size plastic tube with ventilation holes melted in. 15W heat cord under one end, left on permanently (check temps before putting the snake in, of course. If too cold, loop another length under the end of the tub; if too hot, reduce by a loop and check again until right), water in a bowl at the other end with one or two hides, climbing branch, done. It's a cheap but effective option to house a baby snake over winter.
Cheers for the reply.
Yea i had a mate who was going to throw the tank and gear out so I figured id take it off his hands
A ceramic heat emitter is a great idea definitely needs a thermostat for heat emitter, most heat mats will switch themselves off if they get to an overly hot temperature. You cant go wrong with thermostats but it may be overkill for a heat mat. What brand of heat mat are you planning on using? I know that the reptile one does the automatic cut off once it hits a certain temperature. With this it may be trial and error testing different heat sources to see what gets you the desired temperature, as well as keeping an eye on the snake’s behaviour and making sure it doesn't overheat.
Cheers
I use the Exo Terra 10 x 12.5cm heat mat.
But yea that clears a bit up for me, cheers mate

Latest posts

Back