Spotted Python Care Questions!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayrinarasauce

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a new reptile owner, and I am getting a spotted python in about a month.
I have been researching for many months but I have some questions about the temp/humidity/equipment, because the internet has so much information that contradicts eachother I no longer know which sites are correct!
I am planning to use a heatmat and the thermostat that comes with it. I have been told that I should buy a seperate thermostat, and getting 2 thermometers for each side, is this true?
I have heard the warm side of the enclosure must be at 32-35˚C, cool end 22-26˚C, and the humidity about 50%-70%? (my enclosure is plastic/glass)
And about the day and night cycle, I was planning 7am-7pm, but after 7pm, can I keep the room lights on, or will that disturb the snake? And if it will, can I cover the enclosure with a cloth, or is that stressful to the snake?
I hope these questions aren't silly, I just want to make sure that my snake is safe and secure when I take him/her home!

Thanks

Hey, welcome!
They arn't silly questions, it can be really difficult to find consistent info online.
Everything you described sounds perfect to me. I for sure recommend using a thermostat with any heating element you use, it will prevent things from getting hot enough to cause burns so thats a must. Having a thermometer on the cool side is a good idea as well just to make sure you're providing them with a good temp gradient. The temp ranges ranges you said sound good to me as well, I keep mine at about 32 but bump up the temps closer to 34 after they've had a meal. The humidity ranges also sound good, I also bump up the humidity closer to 70% when they're about to shed. You can buy cheap little hygrometers that will help you keep on top of this. Although, since your enclosure is plastic/glass it will be a little more difficult to maintain heat/humidity levels - lots of people use glass but if you can upgrade in the future wood enclosures seem to eliminate a lot of hassle.
12hrs day/night cycle is standard so that sounds good. I keep my snake in my room and keep my room lights on until about 12am most nights, it doesn't seem to bother her as the enclosure is still pretty dark. Since your enclosure is glass obviously more light will get in, but generally it should be fine, it doesn't need to be pitch black just relatively dark. If you cant keep it dark enough covering some of the enclosure with a blanket or something would work fine - just make sure you don't cover up the vents so the enclosure still gets air.
Ultimately if something isn't working for the snake it will show you in some way or another, and you'll often have to experiment to see what works best, its very difficult to get everything perfect on the first go. You've clearly done your research so I'm sure everything will work out great, good luck!

Hey, welcome!
They arn't silly questions, it can be really difficult to find consistent info online.
Everything you described sounds perfect to me. I for sure recommend using a thermostat with any heating element you use, it will prevent things from getting hot enough to cause burns so thats a must. Having a thermometer on the cool side is a good idea as well just to make sure you're providing them with a good temp gradient. The temp ranges ranges you said sound good to me as well, I keep mine at about 32 but bump up the temps closer to 34 after they've had a meal. The humidity ranges also sound good, I also bump up the humidity closer to 70% when they're about to shed. You can buy cheap little hygrometers that will help you keep on top of this. Although, since your enclosure is plastic/glass it will be a little more difficult to maintain heat/humidity levels - lots of people use glass but if you can upgrade in the future wood enclosures seem to eliminate a lot of hassle.
12hrs day/night cycle is standard so that sounds good. I keep my snake in my room and keep my room lights on until about 12am most nights, it doesn't seem to bother her as the enclosure is still pretty dark. Since your enclosure is glass obviously more light will get in, but generally it should be fine, it doesn't need to be pitch black just relatively dark. If you cant keep it dark enough covering some of the enclosure with a blanket or something would work fine - just make sure you don't cover up the vents so the enclosure still gets air.
Ultimately if something isn't working for the snake it will show you in some way or another, and you'll often have to experiment to see what works best, its very difficult to get everything perfect on the first go. You've clearly done your research so I'm sure everything will work out great, good luck!
Hi personalisedtote!
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it
I will take your advice to heart, and keep researching to make sure my snake is as comfortable as possible when it arrives!

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help a newbie :D

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your spotted python. Will you update us when you have it?

Latest posts

Back