Spreading the reptile love to others!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ingie

Reaction score
If anyone had to say a few things to describe me "loves animals especially reptiles" would be number 1... I love them so much that I can't stop talking about them and I am excited to say that my passion is spreading to my friends!

Being new to Brisbane last year I've been meeting a lot of new people - and when they hear of my 'unusual' pets (ie not dogs, cats and birds) - First reactions are often things like - "Oh I hate snakes they are so scary!", or "I like that you like them so much - but I don't".... One friend actually screamed and asked me: "Do you have to kill them when they get over a certain size?"... Being used to these kind of reactions I didn't take offense - but tried to get them all over to my house to see why I love them so much!
I am happy to announce that one by one my friends have fallen in love with my reptiles and are now planning to get their own!! The first time I had a bunch of people over I was trying to convince them to hold a snake - Now I have to decide who can go next so they don't argue haha

Is anyone else experiencing this spreading of the love?? :p

Not quite as full on as you, but yes :D
My son started with one snake when he was 11 (3 1/2 years ago) he has 8 now, plus a pair of Smooth Knob-Tail Geckos.
Most people at the time were not absolutely horrified, but were more like 'yes that's lovely, keep it on the other side of the room' :lol:
Hell, I was like that when he first got one! :lol: Now one of his sisters and her partner are well on their way to becoming addicts, and a couple of their friends have voiced an interest :D
My boss liked the idea of the geckos for his children who are 5 and 7, but he is the kind of guy who really shouldn't own anything more demanding than a goldfish, so I am glad he didn't pursue it :lol:

Last edited:
So a group of girls who at first didn't want to touch your snake, now they argue about who is going to hold it next?
The first part sounds familiar, the second part sounds like a dream I had as a teenager....

Nope lol My friends still just think I'm weird.

Hahaha Snowman, yeah ok, just as a teenager ;)

Last edited:
yewp! i can 2nd u on that. i am flat out been called a nerd from my mates (and me gf) haha. and if im guna be called a nerd for lovin my reppies well aaaaaaaah well!

even if i get up throughout the night i always make my way back to bed via my tanks to check up on me reps. lol. its just as addictive as ink!

My housemate doesnt want me to get rid of my beardie at the end of the year, so thats a start. Plus he likes holding my older CTS and jungle male, also has said he wants to have a go at turning an axalotyl (bad spelling i think but its been a long morning) into a salamander and has started research into that and has a set-up all ready to go. I have three friends that now want snakes (in particular jungles) but not enough to actually get their liscence and set up an enclosure im afraid. More of a "i want one when im looking at one, but forget they exist when im not in the same room" kind of enthusiasm. Really not what i would call a perfect attitude towards getting a new pet, but its more acceptance than most had at the beginning.

Sye

Yeah I'm weird toall my family and most friends. But I can usually turn most kids that come to our place. By the time they're leaving they're nagging parents to get them something! Some nights you can find me sitting on the floor of the herp room in the dark waiting for the geckos to come out or watch the frogs splat themselves on the glass walls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back