Steindachneri help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PilbaraPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Please can anybody help us with any information in regards to
determining the sex of individual steindachneri's. It seems that this
particular species have extremely short tails compaired to
Longicollis. So much so that I am having trouble telling the
difference. At first I suspected that we had found only females but
now I have doubts that this is the case. I am noticing however a
slight difference in curvature around or across the humeral scales
between individuals and are hopeful that I am on the right track.
If any body can even give me a name or contact number of somebody that
may be able to help me, it would be very much appreciated. I have
posted questions on Steindach's on other sites but have had no replys
or comments. It makes me wonder if we are the only people in the
country keeping and enjoying these awesome little turtles.

Cheers David Mackintosh
Pilbara Pythons
08 91401156

Hope this helps, from google....

Sexes are difficult to distinguish until the turtle has reached maturity, which may take three to five years. Shortneck turtles can then be sexed by the length of the tail, with sexually mature males having a much longer and thinner tail than females. Long neck turtles can be sexed by carefully examining the underneath of the shell where the tail emerges. Males have a triangular edge to the shell (right), while females have a smoothly curved edge (left).

Thanks for your input Anglerose
To my knowlegde and judging by the sizes, these are all adult turtles and yet for the life of me I can not find any thing really different around the anal scutes, no differernce in tail lengths,and unlike alot of other turtles no difference in the general shape of the plastron. I have since sent photo's of plastrons to John Canns to see what he can determine. John seems to think that we are indeed the only people keeping the Steindachneri's so we hope to learn abit more about this turtle to share with every body. John did say that the females often had scratches evident on their carapace but I haven't found any yet.

I've included the first species as it mentions sexing.

T. sinensis : The Chinese Soft Shell Turtle was first described by Weigmann in 1834. The carapace, head, and limbs of this species are grayish green in adults and patterned in juveniles, whereas the plastron is white in adults and has black blotches in juveniles. This is the closest living relative to the Wattle Neck Soft Shell Turtle and can be differentiated by the presence of a dark line radiating from the eye and the absence of a dark bordered pale strip passing through the eye. Characteristic of soft shell turtles males are smaller than females and have longer thicker tails. Though little is known about the natural behavior of this species, individual in captivity hibernate in the mud at the bottom of ponds from October to April or May, however it is thought that in Hawaii hibernation is not necessary. Sexual maturity occurs between 4 - 6 years depending on the region of origin. Breeding usually occur in March or April and nesting follows in May (approximately 60 day incubation). Mean clutch size is approximately 75 eggs. One turtle raised in captivity lived for 24 years, however longevity in natural populations is unknown. This species feeds primarily on fish, crustaceans, mollusks, insects, and seeds of marsh plants. Little is known of natural predators though it is thought that there are predators of both juveniles and eggs. Additionally adults have been observed eating their young. The Chinese soft shell turtle is most commonly found in rivers, lakes, ponds, drainage canals, creeks, and marshlands (Ernst et al. 1994).

T. steindachneri : The Wattle Neck Soft Shell Turtle was first described by Siebenrock in 1906. Color variation in this species ranges from brown to olive in adults and orangish brown with black a pattern in juveniles (carapace). As the name suggests the most distinctive characteristic of this species is the presence of a large clump of course tubercles at the base of the neck, known as wattles. Basking behavior is not well studied though it seems that these turtles are active year round. Nesting occurs in June and hatching follows in late August and September. Clutch size varies from 3 - 28 eggs. This species is primarily carnivorous, specific dietary needs are only known to individuals in captivity. Little else is known about this species and extensive studies need to be conducted in order to better understand the natural history of the Wattle Neck soft shell turtle (Ernst et al. 1994).

For those that don't know anything about the temperament of the Steindach, they are extremely friendly and as an example some were taking food offered in aquarium immediately after capture. For wild caught turtles I have never seen a more friendly species. My experience with keeping other species to make to many comparisions though is some what limited.

Expansa1 will know im sure, but chelodina in general, males tale is longer than the females and his tale is thinner toward the tip. plastron slightly concave, nails longer, "v" of the plastron (anal curve) is more triangular in males and females is more rounded. Females are normally a bit larger than males. I think these traits a[pply accurately to flat shells but Craig is sure to have the skinny on em. :wink:

PP, with your experience alone, and your saying you cant spot any differences, i am led to a soft conclusion that you have all of one sex.... but i know nothing about turtles, so there you go. It would be easier if all species had a visible innie and outtie like humans..... :(

Angel

I have always known how to spot the difference in eastern long necks ie: slightly curved plastron, longer tail, etc. But all of these Steindachneri's that we have completely flat plastrons and very short tails. It may very well be a case that we have all of one sex and possably female, but I find this unlikely. It may be a case that Steindach's don't need or have a curved plastron because they are after all called the flat shelled turtle for obvious reasons. I will try to speak to Craig soon and I am sure that we will get to the bottom of it. Any other help please keep it rolling as we really appreciate it.

Are they all from a similiar area, as the ones i have and see have really dark shells. I expect i am looking a fair way from you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back