Stimson’s Advice Please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanDanT

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Have just got a Stimson’s Python and have some questions about temp and humidity. Seems like our heat mat isn’t big enough and/or the cheap temp gauge we already had isn’t super accurate. Keeps saying the middle of the enclosure is between 23 & 25c even though the Python so far seems active and happy enough (also handling well but very mobile, and fed today for the first time since buying him). Humidity reading was only 10% though, so this arvo I rearranged the enclosure and ended up inadvertently putting the water bowl above the heat mat. Next time I checked there was condensation everywhere, and the gauge said 50% humidity!!! Also absolutely crapped myself when I saw it also said 48.5c, but when I rushed in with my hand to check it definitely didn’t feel anywhere near that, so I’m pretty sure the extra moisture in the air just Malfunctioned the gauge rather than me actually doing any damage to the animal. Am currently mopping up the condensation and replacing the substrate (paper towel), while also doing my best not to disturb him post meal. Long story short, a) will a few hours worth of super moist air have caused any immediate health problems? b) what temperature gradient do experienced keepers aim for with Stimson’s? c) has anyone got any particular brands/models/styles of gauges that they swear by for accurate, reliable temp & humidity measurement? Thanks in advance - I’m stressing more about getting things wrong than I was when 2/3 of my own kids were born!

Hi everyone. Have just got a Stimson’s Python and have some questions about temp and humidity. Seems like our heat mat isn’t big enough and/or the cheap temp gauge we already had isn’t super accurate. Keeps saying the middle of the enclosure is between 23 & 25c even though the Python so far seems active and happy enough (also handling well but very mobile, and fed today for the first time since buying him). Humidity reading was only 10% though, so this arvo I rearranged the enclosure and ended up inadvertently putting the water bowl above the heat mat. Next time I checked there was condensation everywhere, and the gauge said 50% humidity!!! Also absolutely crapped myself when I saw it also said 48.5c, but when I rushed in with my hand to check it definitely didn’t feel anywhere near that, so I’m pretty sure the extra moisture in the air just Malfunctioned the gauge rather than me actually doing any damage to the animal. Am currently mopping up the condensation and replacing the substrate (paper towel), while also doing my best not to disturb him post meal. Long story short, a) will a few hours worth of super moist air have caused any immediate health problems? b) what temperature gradient do experienced keepers aim for with Stimson’s? c) has anyone got any particular brands/models/styles of gauges that they swear by for accurate, reliable temp & humidity measurement? Thanks in advance - I’m stressing more about getting things wrong than I was when 2/3 of my own kids were born!
A) A few hours of high humidity would not have hurt

B) I think its 26 cool and 32+ warm

C) dont stress; do ya best; snakes evolved as survivors

I'll click POST now and come back to this with some links.
[automerge]1626445871[/automerge]
Heat mats advice incoming;
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/juvenile-antaresia-python-enclosure-help.228120/
And

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/childrens-python.228175/
And also a few other places in this website.

Last edited:
Hi IanDanT
Constant high humidity is what you need to avoid. I keep my carpets at around 30 - 35% and never have any issues. Better a little to dry than to humid in my opinion. My hot end temps drop down to low 20s overnight and low to mid 30s during the day. Antaresia would have same requirements. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back