Stimson Python - Compact UVB Bulb Safe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know Stimsons (and most?) pythons don't really need UV. I have put a ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB compact bulb in my Stimson python's enclosure because it's low wattage (only 26w) and thus doesn't generate much heat, and because it is a really nice bright white colour. I've tried some other, cheap bulbs from Bunnings, etc however they're all too high wattage and heat the enclosure up too much and I haven't found anything with a nice colour temperature.

My question is, is the above bulb safe to use? Especially considering my python seems to like wrapping himself around the light cage.. I know UVB isn't necessary, but again the light works well and is left over from my old bearded dragon enclosure so I thought I may as well put it to use.

In addition, are there any issues with it being a bright white? I take it like like most animals, they don't like staring into the sun.. But again, he seems to like sleeping up around the light cage.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm sorry I don't know about UV lights, but I do have a 2 yr old Stimmie and I simply don't use a UV light....like you said, most Stimmie owners don't. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

yes uvb10. at close range like that put out a fair whack of UV and cause some serious eye problems not sure about skin problems ive never researched into the snake side of UV as snakes dont need it, unlike most lizards but could not imagine it would be good

you can use a philips cool white its like a 23 or 24 wat produces nice clear light not yellowish = 100wat globe since its CFL (energy saver) it produce barely any heat unlike a incandescent and a heck of alot cheaper then buying UV lights when they are not needed and be

Thanks for the replies. I'll try find one of those Phillips bulbs.

i know bunnings at kotara has a tonne of them in the BC and ES fitting if thats any help to you cheers

Yep sure does, I was planning on going there after work to see if they had em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back