Stimson python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess_tiarna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I got my first snake at the end of last year (a 1-year-old Stimson Python) who is now almost 2. I am getting a little concerned because the last time she ate was the 24th of august this year, so it has been about 2 months since she has last ate. I thought maybe because it is was recently winter in NSW (i have noticed that she is a lot less active at night) and the weather is still quite cold. Her tank temperatures are pretty spot on (33 - 35c hot end - 24 - 27c cool end) and the humidity is sitting around 40%. From the research I have done, Stimson pythons can go off food for months at a time, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn’t anything wrong. She looks really healthy, sheds regularly, and has never refused a feed until now.

Last edited:
I have a 9 month old that last ate on July 3rd at 5 months old. I have been told on here it's just brumation and entirely normal and he will eat when he's ready. I had hoped he would eat in spring but now I'm just hoping he eats in summer. It's anyone's guess really.

Last edited:
Usually, Stimson Pythons go off food for up to 6 months during the cooler months. I have also found they don't eat much during mating season, especially females. If you have the correct temperatures, they should come back soon. Check the food is not too warm, they are not so fond of Broiled Rat or Ratcicles. Another thing to try is leave the food in an obvious area for Python to find, I have one that takes his time to sniff the rat up and down and then he will eat it. If it hasn't taken it after an hour, give to another Snake if you have one. They can be finnicky eaters, you can change it up with some Quail or Chicks to get them to eat, then swap back to Rats again if you want. Usually when they are young, they will eat like there is no tomorrow, I have a Spotted that I feed two Fuzzy Rats, she is around 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

I hope some of this might help

Back