Stimson Python Not Eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyeisdrowning

Reaction score
Just for beginners i'm pretty new to pythons and I have no idea of this is normal or not!

But I have a young stimson python (1 1/2 years old) that hasn't eaten since early December and I can't find much reasoning as to why he isn't eating.

We switched his enclosure to a bigger tank and UV light (used to be just a heat) in early December but he seems to be enjoying it now so I don't know if it's stress this far down the track. I live in South Aus and he's been getting a little skinnier but not too much. Been trying to feed him every week but going to switch to fortnightly as the results haven't been good. Hopefully, someone can shine some light on this issue or I'm worried I'll have to take him to a vet soon enough.

What are your temperatures at?
Do you have a belly heat option for him?
Have you tried going back to fuzzies/1 day old chicks/dipped in egg/spiked the brain?
Has he pooped since his last feed. Is their a lump near his rear end?

also try not to handle home for a few days before hand

temp sits about 28 degrees currently
don't have a belly heat option for him currently
I've gone back to pinkies at this rate from fuzzies and i haven't spiked the brain yet, will try next week
and no he doesn't have a lump near his rear end

ty for the response and advice!

Get the temp up to 34°C - 36°C in one area (hot end). 28°C should be on the cool end. That will be your heat gradient so he can regulate his body temp. He isn't really adult yet so the temps are to cool for metabolism so feeds will be close to monthly.

My gradient is 36°C on the branch
32 around the rock.
Heat under the tank heats the ground to 34°C in the hide.
28°C behind the Spinifex
Give or take a few degrees with ambient temps and extra heat for when the aircon is on

Attachments

• IMG_20230303_175950.jpg
    IMG_20230303_175950.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 2
Get the temp up to 34°C - 36°C in one area (hot end). 28°C should be on the cool end. That will be your heat gradient so he can regulate his body temp. He isn't really adult yet so the temps are to cool for metabolism so feeds will be close to monthly.

My gradient is 36°C on the branch
32 around the rock.
Heat under the tank heats the ground to 34°C in the hide.
28°C behind the Spinifex
Give or take a few degrees with ambient temps and extra heat for when the aircon is on
Been following this advice but he still hasn’t been eating, been leaving his light all day then turning it off at night, he’s been enjoying the additional heat but I still can’t get him to eat

Try a bigger food item if you’re only trying pinkies or fuzzies still

@ 1.5yrs old, should be on Atleast hopper mice

Will try this out next feeding, will reply with results! Thank you

Worked like a charm!

Thank you for the help it’s incredibly appreciated

Been following this advice but he still hasn’t been eating, been leaving his light all day then turning it off at night, he’s been enjoying the additional heat but I still can’t get him to eat
Prep food.
Place in fridge to defrost the day before.
Remove and leave out to warm to room temp.
Run the hot water and adjust the temp to 50°C.
Warm feed in water and replace the water when it cools to 40°C... Do this a few times to get the temps up in the middle of the feed.
Replace the water move the container to the enclosure. When it drops to 40°C try to feed..

Weather is cooling earlier this year and few of mine have gone into brumation early.
You can spike the brain or dip in egg yoke.

Latest posts

Back