Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_Belle_X

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m a first time snake owner with a 7 month old Stimsons Python. He was feeding relatively well for the first 3-4 months. He’s shed twice (both clean full sheds) and the last shed was just before winter. Now I haven’t been able to get him to eat for almost 3 months. He shows interest in the food and sometimes gets as far as half eating it before spitting it back out. Other than his refusal to eat he seems fine, has spent all of winter in his hides, lively when handled (I try to handle him rarely so as not to stress him out). Temp is 32-35C on the warm side of the enclosure, about 15-17C (room temp) on the cool side of his enclosure. I’ve made sure his enclosure isn’t too big, that he has plenty of hides, water and I have a thermometer and a laser thermometer to double check temps. I try to only handle him very occasionally just to check on him (listen to his breathing etc.) and I’ve blacked out 3/4 sides of his enclosure to see if that helps. He’s also in a quiet part of the house.

should I be worried about him not eating? Or is it most likely because it’s winter and he’s just not in the mood? Should I take him to a vet?

how big is the enclosure?
the cool side i think should be about 26 degrees but not too sure.
and just out of curiosity how long is he? im having a similar problem - mine will strike it and wrap around it but just hold onto it for 20 minutes without attempting to swallow it? goodluck

how big is the enclosure?
the cool side i think should be about 26 degrees but not too sure.
and just out of curiosity how long is he? im having a similar problem - mine will strike it and wrap around it but just hold onto it for 20 minutes without attempting to swallow it? goodluck
The enclosure is about 30 x 20 cm it’s apart of the reptile one hatchling kit. It was recommended to me by the place I got him. He’s probably about 30cm or just under.
I’ll try and keep the cool side a bit warmer and see if that helps!
Thank you ?

The enclosure is about 30 x 20 cm it’s apart of the reptile one hatchling kit. It was recommended to me by the place I got him. He’s probably about 30cm or just under.
I’ll try and keep the cool side a bit warmer and see if that helps!
Thank you ?
got the same enclosure and i have the same problem - kinda worrying

got the same enclosure and i have the same problem - kinda worrying
He was feeding great up until his last shed which was just before winter and now he just refuses but still strikes the pinkies and grabs it. I’m going to try newborn quail instead of pinkies and see if that makes a difference!

I would guess the season is probably why they won't eat. I keep carpets myself, and they go off food in mid to late june. They normaly start feeding again in october. I have heard antaresia can be fussy eaters. I try to feed juveniles through their first winter though.

Snakes won't starve themselves on purpose. They're very good at conserving energy, so only take to the vet if you're really desperate to make sure he's okay. It'll be for your comfort, not his.

Antaresia are very much in the fussy eaters category. The lady I buy my mice from said her carpets will eat all though winter, but the antaresias don't . I still tend to offer food. Some times he'll take it, others he won't.
Feeding tips:
- Get the heating right. Have plenty of places to hide. One cool, one warm.
- Nice, warm food - stab the head so it will bleed a little. Hold with tongs right in front of his face and wiggle it just a tiny little bit until he strikes
- Offer at night time
- Cover the cage so it's dark and warm

Good luck! Don't panic!

I would guess the season is probably why they won't eat. I keep carpets myself, and they go off food in mid to late june. They normaly start feeding again in october. I have heard antaresia can be fussy eaters. I try to feed juveniles through their first winter though.
I was thinking that would be the reason as well as he was a really good eater up until winter and was even eating fuzzies. I’ve heard they’re super fussy as well

Snakes won't starve themselves on purpose. They're very good at conserving energy, so only take to the vet if you're really desperate to make sure he's okay. It'll be for your comfort, not his.

Antaresia are very much in the fussy eaters category. The lady I buy my mice from said her carpets will eat all though winter, but the antaresias don't . I still tend to offer food. Some times he'll take it, others he won't.
Feeding tips:
- Get the heating right. Have plenty of places to hide. One cool, one warm.
- Nice, warm food - stab the head so it will bleed a little. Hold with tongs right in front of his face and wiggle it just a tiny little bit until he strikes
- Offer at night time
- Cover the cage so it's dark and warm

Good luck! Don't panic!
He was a really good eater before winter so I’m hoping it’s just the season. He seems healthy and happy in every other way. I’ve heard they are super fussy eaters so I’ve been braining his pinkies since I got him which seemed to work. I still try and offer him food each couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice ?

You could try raising the hot end temp a bit more and see if that helps, but i wouldn't go over 38c.
If that makes no difference, go back to 35c and just be patient.

I have a stimmy the same age he is a pig eats anything instantly. I always heat his food up in warm water and make sure it's a little bit warm just before he eats it and dangle it in front of him, sometimes I even wiggle it so he thinks it's alive makes him strangle it a bit more :p . also I keep him in a 7L tub not sure how big your one is comparison though

He was feeding great up until his last shed which was just before winter and now he just refuses but still strikes the pinkies and grabs it. I’m going to try newborn quail instead of pinkies and see if that makes a difference!
let me know how quails work! they look a little bit too big for carlos tho...
[automerge]1627869788[/automerge]
I have a stimmy the same age he is a pig eats anything instantly. I always heat his food up in warm water and make sure it's a little bit warm just before he eats it and dangle it in front of him, sometimes I even wiggle it so he thinks it's alive makes him strangle it a bit more :p . also I keep him in a 7L tub not sure how big your one is comparison though
how long is he? and how old?

All newborn quails are sold out where I am so I’ve got some ordered in! Apparently they’re super popular ?
Hi
I have a Children's which is a cousin to the Stimson's I guess. Have you been able to weigh yours?
No weight loss = no problem usually (assuming no other issues like mouth or respiratory infections)
Temp drops = less feeding
Dirty enclosure = less appetite
Other things too

Cheers,
Jonesy

Hi
I have a Children's which is a cousin to the Stimson's I guess. Have you been able to weigh yours?
No weight loss = no problem usually (assuming no other issues like mouth or respiratory infections)
Temp drops = less feeding
Dirty enclosure = less appetite
Other things too

Cheers,
Jonesy
He finally fed a few weeks ago and again today. I’ve been feeding rat pinkies. I’ve never weighed him but when he wasn’t eating I looked out for signs he was losing weight/not well. It seems alls good now that the weathers warmed up 😊

Latest posts

Back