Stimsons python juvenile not eating please give advice!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney1027

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m new on here! I’m just coming on to get a bit of advice. I have a juvenile Stimsons python, his about 35cms long. He is in a 60x40cm reptile one enclosure with the sides blacked out. He has a heat mat and 4 hides. Snake aspin for bedding. When I first got him he was in a plastic container about 40x30cm and I recently upgraded him into the enclosure his in now. He seems really happy in there. Comes out about the same time every day, cruises around and climbs on his log before going back to his favourite hide but he hasn’t eaten since he moved into the enclosure. He hasn’t shown any signs of stress, in the tub he was in before he would frantically rub his face up the top which is why I moved him, in this one he just cruises around the perimeter and climbs around. He was eating 2 pinkies then he ate 3 pinkies for 2 weeks then has stopped eating he hasn’t eaten for 3 weeks now. He hasn’t lost weight he looks healthy he doesn’t look overly dull, his not being snappy unless I try and get him to eat then he gets grumpy and hides. I have been struggling to keep the heat up on the hot side as the weather has cooled down here, I can’t get it warmer then 28 degrees at the moment and 25 at night. I am wondering what everyone thinks it is. Should I move him back to the original tub. Is he just off his food because it’s winter and he had eaten so much before. Do I need to get another heat source is he too cold. Please give me your advice I haven’t owned a snake before I got him and I want to make sure I am doing what’s best for him.

Hi Courtney1027
I keep carpets myself. It sounds as if your little one isn't getting enough heat. They need temps in the low to mid 30s in order to digest food , and will naturaly stop eating if its to cold (during winter) and can fast for months with no ill effects. 3 weeks isn't long. You may need a higher wattage heat mat or heat cord. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I’m new on here! I’m just coming on to get a bit of advice. I have a juvenile Stimsons python, his about 35cms long. He is in a 60x40cm reptile one enclosure with the sides blacked out. He has a heat mat and 4 hides. Snake aspin for bedding. When I first got him he was in a plastic container about 40x30cm and I recently upgraded him into the enclosure his in now. He seems really happy in there. Comes out about the same time every day, cruises around and climbs on his log before going back to his favourite hide but he hasn’t eaten since he moved into the enclosure. He hasn’t shown any signs of stress, in the tub he was in before he would frantically rub his face up the top which is why I moved him, in this one he just cruises around the perimeter and climbs around. He was eating 2 pinkies then he ate 3 pinkies for 2 weeks then has stopped eating he hasn’t eaten for 3 weeks now. He hasn’t lost weight he looks healthy he doesn’t look overly dull, his not being snappy unless I try and get him to eat then he gets grumpy and hides. I have been struggling to keep the heat up on the hot side as the weather has cooled down here, I can’t get it warmer then 28 degrees at the moment and 25 at night. I am wondering what everyone thinks it is. Should I move him back to the original tub. Is he just off his food because it’s winter and he had eaten so much before. Do I need to get another heat source is he too cold. Please give me your advice I haven’t owned a snake before I got him and I want to make sure I am doing what’s best for him.
I have a childrens and am gonna go with Temps as well mate. Get a heat mat under one corner of the tank, set a hide on top of the heat mat, and position the temp probe for the thermostat right inside it. Try create a warm spot 32 degrees +. Without temps above 30 they cant digest very effectively so their appetite drops off.

I wouldnt move him back to the small enclosure as that will disorient him even more. Just set this one up properly with a nice warm spot, give him a week to get used to his new furnishings, then try for a feed then. Even leaving the food in their overnight after an initial offer.

There's heaps of info in the stickies and archives to read up on as well

Thankyou both for your responses I thought it was the heat aswell I just needed some reassurance! I am going to go get a stronger heat mat and better thermostat today! His still looking in good condition which is good. Hopefully can get him warm happy and hungry again!

Hi Courtney1027
I keep carpets myself. It sounds as if your little one isn't getting enough heat. They need temps in the low to mid 30s in order to digest food , and will naturaly stop eating if its to cold (during winter) and can fast for months with no ill effects. 3 weeks isn't long. You may need a higher wattage heat mat or heat cord. Good luck.
I have a 8 almost 9 month old Stimpson's and she is a guts, she hasn't stopped eating yet. I got her as a hatchling and shes great !! Her enclosure is 26°on the cool side and 32° on the warm. I have had no trouble with her thank goodness!!
I suggest just work on the temps and see how it goes .

My Stimmies enclosure is within a couple of degrees of @Kaffys, and mine me eats like a champ too. Upping the heat sounds like a plan! 😁

Mines come good after a really long fast eats all the time on schedule! I think it got too cold but I upgraded the heat source and now it’s perfect! enclosure, and now she eats everything offered. Also we came into spring, so that may have helped.

Yes, I had the same, she wasn't eating, so I heated up her

Latest posts

Back