stimsons python stopped feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xuxu1

Reaction score
My two and a half year old stimsons python has stopped feeding. I usually feed every 2-3 weeks with 1-2 adult mice and he's always been a very good eater. After the last shed he stopped accepting mice though. It was a slightly longer gap between feeds as my usual supplier could not get any mice. As he never refused food and always seems hungry I thought he'd jump on the first mouse I offered (once I got a hold of some from a different supplier), the last feed had been 4 weeks by then. But he took a quick sniff and turned away.
At first I didn't think much about it as I've heard snakes can sometimes refuse food. However, it's almost 4 month now that he had anything to eat.
I've tried different mice from different suppliers (unfortunately the ones I used to get are no longer available), but so far all had to go to the bin.
The snake follows its usual activities (he's quite active starting in the early afternoon through the night) and seems OK otherwise (though a little thinner and I think a little less smooth/powerful in his movements).
It's my first snake, so not a lot of experience here. I know they can go a long time without eating, but I'm starting to get a little worried.
Any advice or ideas what I could do?

Thanks a lot!

There are issues that could be affecting your snake's eating habits.1. Cage temperature should be constant. If temperature is not warm enough this could affect yout snake's digestion. Your animal husbandry.May need to be reviewed.If your snake does not eat for five months or more a visit to your vet is recommended. May I recommend Following book:A Guide to Australian PYTHONS in Captivity By Adam Elliott - ISBN 978-0-9872447-7-2.
Regards
James

My two and a half year old stimsons python has stopped feeding. I usually feed every 2-3 weeks with 1-2 adult mice and he's always been a very good eater. After the last shed he stopped accepting mice though. It was a slightly longer gap between feeds as my usual supplier could not get any mice. As he never refused food and always seems hungry I thought he'd jump on the first mouse I offered (once I got a hold of some from a different supplier), the last feed had been 4 weeks by then. But he took a quick sniff and turned away.
At first I didn't think much about it as I've heard snakes can sometimes refuse food. However, it's almost 4 month now that he had anything to eat.
I've tried different mice from different suppliers (unfortunately the ones I used to get are no longer available), but so far all had to go to the bin.
The snake follows its usual activities (he's quite active starting in the early afternoon through the night) and seems OK otherwise (though a little thinner and I think a little less smooth/powerful in his movements).
It's my first snake, so not a lot of experience here. I know they can go a long time without eating, but I'm starting to get a little worried.
Any advice or ideas what I could do?

Thanks a lot!
Late reply.
temperature is the key my python would come close to the mouse but wouldn’t strike he knew 100% he would not be able to digest it it’s an inbuilt thing soon as i turned up the temp. Bang! He smashed the food instantly I have experimented on two occasions when he didn’t want the mouse and always I raised the temp. Every time it worked snakes are intelligent more than we know . And obviously know what’s not good for them and what’s safe in captivity Too They learn my Monty looks at the heat bulb when it switches off at night so I can turn it on lol they truly learn about their captivity surrounds it’s beautiful to watch totally love pythons.

Off course I don’t turn the light on just because he’s staring at it at night lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back