Stopping mouth infections

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Over the weekend i purchased 3 new water pythons (2 hatchies and 1 sub-adult). They are are very snappy and bite me all the time, and also bite the side of their enclosures... I havent noticed any teeth being broken yet...but I am still concerned that they could get mouth rot or a mouth infection of some kind.... Id rather prevent it then treat it of course...so is there anyway that i can clean out the snakes mouth to at least minimize the chance of infection?
THanks guys..
Brodie

Hi Brodie, i have heard that listerine(original one) kills the germs in snake mouths and helps stop canker.Betadine can also be used, i got told that straight undiluted is fine, but i diluted it one to one and used a cotton bud to apply.Aparrently using hydrogen peroxide and betadine together works even better, as the peroxide drives the betadine even deeper into the tissues, according to the WHATS WRONG WITH MY SNAKE book. honestly get this book, its a great read and also a great help in times of panic!

Ask your vet about a new product just for reptiles called ?Zylafen?
It is made specifically for mouth infections

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria

Hi Maria,
Is that for prevention or treatment?

Listerine? but how do you get the snake to gargle? :D

Hey guys,
Over the weekend i purchased 3 new water pythons (2 hatchies and 1 sub-adult).
congrats on the new purchases.
They are are very snappy and bite me all the time, and also bite the side of their enclosures...
might be beneficial covering the glass over so they feel a little more settled.
I havent noticed any teeth being broken yet...but I am still concerned that they could get mouth rot or a mouth infection of some kind....
if there's teeth loose, it's highly unlikely you'd see them in the hatchlings mouth, instant indications of a possible problem are, the tip of the snout bleeding from striking at the enclosure or glass, bloodied gums or the gumline appearing red.
Id rather prevent it then treat it of course...so is there anyway that i can clean out the snakes mouth to at least minimize the chance of infection?
intervening will just stress the snakes even more, if it aint broke, don't fix it

What i meant was I havent observed any teeth in my skin...when I have been bitten by carpets I normally get teeth in my skin............. thanks for the advice guys.... I think I will just wait until I see a problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back