Stressed and frustrated

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No disrepect to anyone here and withholding the animals feelings here, I am getting anxiety reading this thread.
This is a lot to absorb.

Ok, that said.

A little tip for anyone having trouble with glass enclosures moving forward

I have one glass enclosure, I wasn't aware when I bought it how impossible it was to retain a good heat gradient so in my search for alternatives and cheap options, I found cheap interlocking foam tiles at bunnings.

A little trim here and there and some tape and away you go.
I'm sure if you were a little more interested in aesthetics rather than just function you could easily make it a little more pretty but for me, I was only interested in function.

Under 10 bucks and you can insulate any enclosure. Simple.

Looks good 👍 it's a good idea. Will remember it for another time.

Last edited:
Mack,

Having enlarged and had a good look at the pics you've provided of your snake there is nothing to worry about and as Sadji has indicated it looks quite ok.

I don't think it looks like shedding but rather, being ectothermic, snakes have a low metabolism as it is and during periods of fasting, especially during periods of cold weather they are capable of shutting down many of their body functions to conserve energy. So I think you might find that it looks the way it does at the moment because, as a survival technique, a snake's metabolism has the ability to reduce to as little as 20% of what it was when environmental conditions and food availability (both natural and caged) are more favourable and reducing it's metabolism gives that wrinkled appearance in some places. This happens because they take fats and nutrients stored in the body to use them for essential functions and is quite a common appearance for snakes that have not eaten for some time. Again it is nothing to worry about.

What you have done with the enclosure is fine but as suggested be patient, leave it alone and try not to disturb it for about a fortnight.

Last edited:
Mack,

Having enlarged and had a good look at the pics you've provided of your snake there is nothing to worry about and as Sadji has indicated it looks quite ok.

I don't think it looks like shedding but rather, being ectothermic, snakes have a low metabolism as it is and during periods of fasting, especially during periods of cold weather they are capable of shutting down many of their body functions to conserve energy. So I think you might find that it looks the way it does at the moment because, as a survival technique, a snake's metabolism has the ability to reduce to as little as 20% of what it was when environmental conditions and food availability (both natural and caged) are more favourable and reducing it's metabolism gives that wrinkled appearance in some places. This happens because they take fats and nutrients stored in the body to use them for essential functions and is quite a common appearance for snakes that have not eaten for some time. Again it is nothing to worry about.

What you have done with the enclosure is fine but as suggested be patient, leave it alone and try not to disturb it for about a fortnight.

Oh wow that is really helpful and informative, thanks so much

No disrepect to anyone here and withholding the animals feelings here, I am getting anxiety reading this thread.
This is a lot to absorb.

Ok, that said.

A little tip for anyone having trouble with glass enclosures moving forward

I have one glass enclosure, I wasn't aware when I bought it how impossible it was to retain a good heat gradient so in my search for alternatives and cheap options, I found cheap interlocking foam tiles at bunnings.

A little trim here and there and some tape and away you go.
I'm sure if you were a little more interested in aesthetics rather than just function you could easily make it a little more pretty but for me, I was only interested in function.

Under 10 bucks and you can insulate any enclosure. Simple.
This is a good solution but it can be done even cheaper if you are on a budget, cardboard or foam can do the same job. Wrap 3 sides and part of the top ( but don't cover all the vent )

This is a good solution but it can be done even cheaper if you are on a budget, cardboard or foam can do the same job. Wrap 3 sides and part of the top ( but don't cover all the vent )
I actually did the cardboard, as George suggested, you can see in the pics I've posted but have since taken it all off due to advice given to just leave him alone. So leave him alone I shall. I won't even look in his direction for at least two weeks 😁

Ok today marks 12 weeks since last feed. I have no mice left as the bin has eaten them all. I haven't bothered to go and get any more and try today like I usually would. Going to wait one more week (that will be two weeks since I last offered) and see how we go. Will keep updated for anyone playing along at home.

Hey everyone,

I have given my snake until mid October to start eating again before I threaten him with a visit to a vet, or someone who knows something (anything???) about snakes.

I would have to say this has been the most stressful pet I have ever owned (and Ive never had a pet stress me out). I just feel so out of my depth even after spending hours and hours reading, asking questions and doing my damn well best to figure this out.

I understand snakes are reptiles and can go a long time without eating I'm not disputing that but a BABY snake? I got him at 4 months old, he is now 8 months old and he has only eaten TWICE! and we are now at 11 weeks of no eating. I have tried everything and I mean everything and I'm just at a loss of what to do now and despite my best efforts at remaining calm about it all I am an anxious worried mess and somewhat regretful (despite how much I love him and just wanted him to be happy here 😞)

I guess I just needed to vent or be offered some encouragement but I often notice newbie posts can sometimes get ignored /forgotten about or dismissed because "she's just a silly newbie who knows nothing about anything "

Ugh...
Where in Qld are you located ? I’m south of Brisbane

Ok my phone is 0413810042 , send me some pics of your set up , hides , temp cool , temp warm , floor heating or bulb ? I’ll try and troubleshoot for you 👍

Hey Barry,
All that info (including pics) are in this thread. Appreciate your help, but just going to wait it out until it warms up a bit more.
Fingers crossed

out of my 4 Antaresia, my pygmy banded python still refuses to eat, ditto my childrens. My male striped blonde spotted has eaten 2 weeks in a row, while his girlfriend suspected gravid still refuses.

out of my 4 Antaresia, my pygmy banded python still refuses to eat, ditto my childrens. My male striped blonde spotted has eaten 2 weeks in a row, while his girlfriend suspected gravid still refuses.
When did your first two stop dragon? They certainly know what they need and when they need it don't they. Interesting creatures

The Children's stopped end of March, the other 3 stopped in May. BTW the Children's is the oldest, don't know if that makes any difference
Thanks for letting me know, it's starting to warm up nicely where I live so I don't think it will be long before mine starts showing interest. It's hard because I haven't had him through all the different seasons yet so I'm still getting to know his specific behaviours. Next year will be so different

Hi Mack86,

I wanted to say thanks for your post and detailed questions. Also for your patience in how to respond to people helping. I have been having aalll the same questions about my baby Stimmy and after my last experience have been turned off using the forum. I find it difficult to interpret some responses without feeling as though I'm being spoken to like an idiot. A lot of the time I think the responders with eager intentions skim read and assume you're an idiot so answer questions you've already clarified as understanding and don't listen to what you're asking. I don't have the patience to interact or deal with that difficulty to get the answers I need in what I feel is a respectful manner. It's hard not to feel like you're arguing to get through and I avoid it because I don't like things being heated.

It's a shame because it defeats the point of the forum and I feel as though there would be more productive posts on here if that wasn't the case. But then it has been a pleasure reading your questions and responses, so thank you for sticking it out. You're much stronger than me! It's been very helpful reading your post/responses and I appreciate your effort more than I can really know how to say.

Thank you also to everyone responding, I know you're all eager to help, and there are also lots of awesome and helpful responses that are invaluable, but from a learner’s experience reading some of the responses, it does help if you think about the questions from a novice perspective and not jump in guns blazing with information and assumptions and go gently.

Looking forward to things finally actually warming up and watching my Stimmy chow down on a mean Fuzzy rat! And maybe asking a question or 2 on here :)

Last edited:
Hi Mack86,

I wanted to say thanks for your post and detailed questions. Also for your patience in how to respond to people helping. I have been having aalll the same questions about my baby Stimmy and after my last experience have been turned off using the forum. I find it difficult to interpret some responses without feeling as though I'm being spoken to like an idiot. A lot of the time I think the responders with eager intentions skim read and assume you're an idiot so answer questions you've already clarified as understanding and don't listen to what you're asking. I don't have the patience to interact or deal with that difficulty to get the answers I need in what I feel is a respectful manner. It's hard not to feel like you're arguing to get through and I avoid it because I don't like things being heated.

It's a shame because it defeats the point of the forum and I feel as though there would be more productive posts on here if that wasn't the case. But then it has been a pleasure reading your questions and responses, so thank you for sticking it out. You're much stronger than me! It's been very helpful reading your post/responses and I appreciate your effort more than I can really know how to say.

Thank you also to everyone responding, I know you're all eager to help, and there are also lots of awesome and helpful responses that are invaluable, but from a learner’s experience reading some of the responses, it does help if you think about the questions from a novice perspective and not jump in guns blazing with information and assumptions and go gently.

Looking forward to things finally actually warming up and watching my Stimmy chow down on a mean Fuzzy rat! And maybe asking a question or 2 on here :)

Hi Meesh!

Thanks for commenting ☺️ I am so glad that you have found my questions helpful, I do ask them with intent to maybe help others because if you don't ask you don't know hey.

I do know what you mean about sometimes responses making it sound like you're being spoken to like an idiot. I guess.... I just don't care if people think I'm an idiot. I'm not an idiot, I'm actually quite intelligent but this is NEW to me and I'm LEARNING about it so gaining as much information as I possibly can.

And yes, I do feel that responses are skim read at times and people answer things that you are already all across.

I have really quite enjoyed this forum and have got soooo much help from a specific few people which I am so thankful for. Once again, I'm glad my posts have helped you!

Keep me posted on your snake, I am sure in a few weeks they will be eating as normal once again.

Thanks for your reply :) That's a good attitude to have and thanks for the insight! I can definitely take a leaf or 2 out of your book. Till next time :)

Hi Meesh!

I do know what you mean about sometimes responses making it sound like you're being spoken to like an idiot. I guess.... I just don't care if people think I'm an idiot. I'm not an idiot, I'm actually quite intelligent but this is NEW to me and I'm LEARNING about it so gaining as much information as I possibly can.

And yes, I do feel that responses are skim read at times and people answer things that you are already all across.
I guess it does come across that way sometimes although I'm sure most people want to help, that's what forums are for after all. This isn't FB where most people are just trying to score points.
Yes some people can be abrasive but if they have their medicine they can be quite helpful and informative .
I hope you found what you came looking for and will continue looking at our forum for any more info you may require.

Last edited:
I guess it does come across that way sometimes although I'm sure most people want to help, that's what forums are for after all. This isn't FB where most people are just trying to score points.
Yes some people can be abrasive but if they have their medicine they can be quite helpful and informative .
I hope you learnt what you came looking for and will continue looking at our forum for any more info you may require.
Definitley have gotten heaps out of it for sure, mostly peace of mind, which is always good !

I hope you found what you came looking for and will continue looking at our forum for any more info you may require.
It does unfortunately and yes all good intentions I'm sure. Thanks, yes, all is good for now :)

Hey @Mack86 and @Meesh

I understand where you may feel a little like you are being spoken down to, I have in the past felt a little that way myself.

The thing with this forum is you need to remember that every question we ask has most likely been asked many times before and some of the more experienced keepers while wanting to help or offer advice, may not have the same patience they did the first time the question was asked.

@Mack86 is 100% correct, you do need to ignore what you perceive as negative tone and filter for the advice, some members are like doctors, they're not interested in your emotion, they just need the facts in order to give a response as blunt as it may be.

Sometimes as newbies we ask really basic questions that seem really obvious to decade long keepers so as the question becomes more repetitive the patience to respond wears thin.

There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here who will genuinely help you through any situation you may be in, sometimes you just need to pull them aside and ask them for a little more help, as long as you are prepared to take on board the advice, they will happily provide it.

I've found the most difficult part of reptile ownership is to accept that reptiles are nothing like a conventional pet, their needs are very different and we need to let go of everything we think we know and reset our brains to adapt, but don't worry, the longer you keep reptiles, the more knowledgeable you will become.

For the record, welcome to the Aussiepythons family.

Latest posts

Back