Stressed and frustrated

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally get what you're saying, 100%

I would just add that if people have minimal patience that's their issue really. They needn't respond if it bothers them.

As mentioned before, the whole point of a forum is to discuss and ask questions and I have found it super helpful in that way. And I actually quite like a no nonsense, get to the point approach whether someone thinks I'm an idiot while they're delivering their response or not šŸ˜‰

Anyway things have gotten off topic here and I've gotten everything I needed out of this thread. Thanks to all you lovely people for your help!!

Great discussion - learned a lot from this ... tx all. Loved my Children's pythons too but always had eating issues with both... got a carpet now and it's a lot easier!

I'm starting to think that perhaps the people who are growing tired of answering all the same questions are becoming more reptilian šŸ˜… Yes, this has gone off on a tangent, but after all the forum is here to have a discussion, albeit one that sparked my need to express my experience on here and hope for change. I was also expressing my appreciation for being able to observe a person responding to the difficult responses in a productive way. Thanks again.

For what it's worth, this thread has inspired me lessen my inclination to responding to questions. I'm very happy to share information and help people, but I'm not being paid to coddle people or sugar coat things, I'm doing it on my time, not as a paid service, and if the response is negative and critical, I might as well step away.

For what it's worth, this thread has inspired me lessen my inclination to responding to questions. I'm very happy to share information and help people, but I'm not being paid to coddle people or sugar coat things, I'm doing it on my time, not as a paid service, and if the response is negative and critical, I might as well step away.
On a forum like this that would be a real shame Sdaji, as many of us really appreciate and value your knowledge.

the problem with that is that it reduces the info to newbies. This is what forums like ours are for. I understand that repetetive answers can be a pain, I have the same thing on my Beardie forum (ABDF) but if we experienced people don't answer questions then how will new people learn ?

the problem with that is that it reduces the info to newbies. This is what forums like ours are for. I understand that repetetive answers can be a pain, I have the same thing on my Beardie forum (ABDF) but if we experienced people don't answer questions then how will new people learn ?

I don't at all mind giving repetitive answers. I fully understand that newbies start out knowing nothing. I remember being a young kid with my first snakes hanging off the words of anyone who knew anything about snakes, I know that's like, back then I'd never used the internet, I'd only ever seen about four books about reptiles, and herpers were few, far between, and generally knew very little. That's why I have spend decades freely sharing information, writing articles for reptile magazines, etc etc.

When I was a newbie I was always very appreciative of anyone with more experience than I have who is willing to share information with me. I still am. I never, ever bitched and complained to or about people who were kind enough to give me their time to answer my questions. I prefer blunt, direct answers. I don't argue with people who clearly know their stuff, know more than I do and are willing to talk to me and answer my questions.

The cultural change from showing appreciation to people willing to help us out of the kindness of their heart to feeling it makes sense to complain and argue in response to it is abhorrent and absurd. It doesn't exist everywhere, and if this forum is a place where such absurdity is encouraged, I am inclined to spend my time elsewhere. I don't have a shortage of things to do or opportunities to help new reptile keepers - I spend many hours every week helping reptile enthusiasts, and have been doing so for decades. I support this forum because there are precious few online reptile discussion groups outside Facebook, and I think it is extremely valuable to have such groups, but if this one is going in the wrong direction I am inclined to support others.

I don't at all mind giving repetitive answers. I fully understand that newbies start out knowing nothing. I remember being a young kid with my first snakes hanging off the words of anyone who knew anything about snakes, I know that's like, back then I'd never used the internet, I'd only ever seen about four books about reptiles, and herpers were few, far between, and generally knew very little. That's why I have spend decades freely sharing information, writing articles for reptile magazines, etc etc.

When I was a newbie I was always very appreciative of anyone with more experience than I have who is willing to share information with me. I still am. I never, ever bitched and complained to or about people who were kind enough to give me their time to answer my questions. I prefer blunt, direct answers. I don't argue with people who clearly know their stuff, know more than I do and are willing to talk to me and answer my questions.

The cultural change from showing appreciation to people willing to help us out of the kindness of their heart to feeling it makes sense to complain and argue in response to it is abhorrent and absurd. It doesn't exist everywhere, and if this forum is a place where such absurdity is encouraged, I am inclined to spend my time elsewhere. I don't have a shortage of things to do or opportunities to help new reptile keepers - I spend many hours every week helping reptile enthusiasts, and have been doing so for decades. I support this forum because there are precious few online reptile discussion groups outside Facebook, and I think it is extremely valuable to have such groups, but if this one is going in the wrong direction I am inclined to support others.
I appreciate you.

It saddens me to see this thread go in this direction. My original intent was to vent my situation to people who know and understand what I was/am going through.

I do want to make it clear that each and every response on this thread has been greatly appreciated. This does include yourself @Sdaji without a doubt.

I'm confused as to how it got to this point but I do hope you can continue to contribute to this forum, as we need the help from those more experienced.

Definitely appreciate all the help that is provided on here!!! I wasn't referring to that. I feel that anyone taking offence is missing the point. I'm inclined to say that it's all in the delivery, but alas my delivery has been lost also. Over and out.

Just an update, tried feeding before. Complete disinterest again & skin looking kinda saggy.
Will try again in 2 weeks.

Thanks @Herpetology , and to give air vents just drill holes in top? How many, what size and at what end, hot or cold?

Currently I use a 5w heat mat, would you say that's enough?

I am going to get what you have suggested tomorrow, then try feeding one week after putting him in (once settled)

Last edited:
Thanks @Herpetology , and to give air vents just drill holes in top? How many, what size and at what end, hot or cold?

Currently I use a 5w heat mat, would you say that's enough?

I am going to get what you have suggested tomorrow, then try feeding one week after putting him in (once settled)
I just use a tiny drill bit for smaller snakes, the plastics are a softer material so it shouldn't crack, just give it a good wipe over for any jagged edges after drilling.
I personally put holes on both ends, but it depends on how the humidity looks, When I did those tubs I did 3 holes on all sides
the 5w mat depends if it reaches sufficient temps or not, I live in a colder region so it wouldn't work. The plastic is thin and flat which works well

I just use a tiny drill bit for smaller snakes, the plastics are a softer material so it shouldn't crack, just give it a good wipe over for any jagged edges after drilling.
I personally put holes on both ends, but it depends on how the humidity looks, When I did those tubs I did 3 holes on all sides
the 5w mat depends if it reaches sufficient temps or not, I live in a colder region so it wouldn't work. The plastic is thin and flat which works well
I think I'll do as you suggested - tiny drill bit, 3 holes on each side (I assume you mean the top of the lid?) No holes on sides of tub then?
5w is definitely getting up to my desired temps so I think I'll stick with it to start with and see how I go.

I am so thankful for this šŸ™

Sometimes drills can crack the plastic. I prefer using a small soldering iron (type used for electronics) to melt holes. Cheap at the big green shed. If you go down this path, note the thickness of the heated-end spike - that will give you a guide on the size of holes you're going to make.

Just make sure you do it outside to minimise the inhalation of fumes šŸ™‚

If I said 3 holes on each side, how did you come to the assumption of lid and not the sides? šŸ˜¬

If I said 3 holes on each side, how did you come to the assumption of lid and not the sides? šŸ˜¬

I've no idea to be honest!!

Haha.

Thanks for all this, much appreciated

I wasn't able to get the quadrant tub as suggested which is annoying but got a 7L sistema tub instead. Hopefully this will work well. I'm about to start drilling holes etc. Wish me luck šŸ˜

All done šŸ˜
Thanks @Herpetology
Now to leave him alone and see how things go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-142114.png
    Screenshot_20221004-142114.png
    273.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back