Strikey boy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack86

Reaction score
My usually calm boy has on two occasions now struck at me from behind the glass. Both times were a couple of days after eating. He has recently shed with no issues, is feeding with no issues, and temperatures are good. To me, it would seem he is "acting hungry". As soon as I am near his enclosure he comes out of hiding doing the same behaviours he does when he is about to eat. He ate two days ago and consistently eats every week. Would it seem then, that perhaps he needs to go up in food size? He is eating weaner mice currently and is a year and 4 months old.

I also handle him maybe once a week/fortnight.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts !

Weigh him
Feed 20-30% of weight

Can’t imagine he weighs less than 100g

Swiss/ quackenbush super mice sizes
Pinky mice 1-2g
Fuzzy mice 3-5g
Hopper mice 6-15g
Weaner mice 15-24g~
Adult mice 25-40g

Wistar rats sizes
(Anything lower than weaner should be replaced with mice of equivalent size)
Weaner 75-90g
Small 100-175g
Medium 175-200g
Large 200-350g
Jumbo 350g+

Last edited:
Weigh him
Feed 20-30% of weight

Can’t imagine he weighs less than 100g

Swiss/ quackenbush super mice sizes
Pinky mice 1-2g
Fuzzy mice 3-5g
Hopper mice 6-15g
Weaner mice 15-24g~
Adult mice 25-40g

Wistar rats sizes
(Anything lower than weaner should be replaced with mice of equivalent size)
Weaner 75-90g
Small 100-175g
Medium 175-200g
Large 200-350g
Jumbo 350g+
This is really helpful thank you!

That's a massive variation in rat weights. My guy they are all much closer in size than that, you can't tell the difference by eye.

Weaners are within 5gms of 35 gms and large are within 10 gm's of 140 gms. That's all i have in the freezer @Mack86 sorry.

But he is really consistent. Depending on where you are in QLD it may make sense to drive down here to Woolgoolga and stock up. All bags are $12 this year i think, just depends on size as to how many you get. Weaners are 5 a bag, large are 2.

DSCF2327[1].jpg
DSCF2326[1].jpg

That's a massive variation in rat weights. My guy they are all much closer in size than that, you can't tell the difference by eye.

Weaners are within 5gms of 35 gms and large are within 10 gm's of 140 gms. That's all i have in the freezer @Mack86 sorry.

But he is really consistent. Depending on where you are in QLD it may make sense to drive down here to Woolgoolga and stock up. All bags are $12 this year i think, just depends on size as to how many you get. Weaners are 5 a bag, large are 2.

View attachment 335324
View attachment 335325

You’re getting ripped off if those are the size of rats you’re paying for. What do you mean “can’t tell their size by eye” I literally gave a weight graph, if they’re outside the ranges you round up or down.

I think you are just trying to justify a reason that makes you feel better that my small rats are larger than your large rats bwahaha

Doesn’t bother me, every 3 weeks I produce 20-100 rats of various sizes

Ps: note that I said WISTAR rat, 40g is a large fuzzy

Last edited:
You’re getting ripped off if those are the size of rats you’re paying for. What do you mean “can’t tell their size by eye” I literally gave a weight graph, if they’re outside the ranges you round up or down.

I think you are just trying to justify a reason that makes you feel better that my small rats are larger than your large rats bwahaha

Doesn’t bother me, every 3 weeks I produce 20-100 rats of various sizes

Ps: note that I said WISTAR rat, 40g is a large fuzzy
Bitter person much mate? Extrapolate others thoughts in your head a bit too often for sanity?

Comprehension also a problem?

I said "all much closer in size than that, you can't tell the difference by eye." It's in my words you quoted.

Then you asked me what i meant with a different sentence that you somehow came up with "“can’t tell their size by eye” and translated that as a sentence that i was using to criticize your graph, even though i explicitly wasn't talking about your graph, but the rats i buy.

I'm not justifying anything mate. i feed my snakes according to weight and size like every other person here. i don't give a rats **** (sic) what label is on the bag and what description they are. If i wanted bigger rats for my guys i would buy them, by size, not by description.

Seems you are going out of your way, like so many experts here do to just start an argument and discredit new members.

I don't care how many rats you grow, my only point was that the variation in size you list is much greater than the variation in size from the guy i get mine from.

Sheesh! Some people.

Why does this always seem to happen on my posts, this is why I hate posting. I appreciate the simple and concise answer I got initially and it probably didn't need to be extended upon further ?

I’ll admit I took your use of “my guy” as a form of attack towards me rather than “my breeder” which inevitably threw the rest of your post out of context for me.

IMG_4667.jpeg
How i read it as ^

You’re correct you should go off weight rather than label. as seen in this post, labels are useless, I only provided my sizes/ corresponding weights as I would hate for anyone to actually think 150g rats are “large” and fall to the pet shop scheme of paying 20-30$/rat.

When they see that the rats can reach 400g+ easy, suddenly their larges are not very large.

I.E they ask for help on forums, 9/10 people will say “feed large rats” the weight of their large rats amongst those 9 people could range from 150g to 600g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back