Stunning SA Tiger

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson2

Reaction score
Here is a stunner of a Tiger I managed to catch in Mt Barker last year . Released in suitable habitat close by.
I was unaware they were still locally present until then. Hopefully there are others still in the area?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-105637_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-105637_Gallery.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210904-124536_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210904-124536_Gallery.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210904_124108.jpg
    20210904_124108.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Someone with more experience may correct me, but as far as I knew ALL elapids can/do flatten/widen their necks in a threat display when scared. Obviously the degree to which they do this varies but I know that browns and red bellies do it all the time when cornered.

Someone with more experience may correct me, but as far as I knew ALL elapids can/do flatten/widen their necks in a threat display when scared. Obviously the degree to which they do this varies but I know that browns and red bellies do it all the time when cornered.

Not all do it, but it's common among a large number of them, particularly the larger species. Pseudonaja ('Browns') vary between species; Eastern Browns barely hood at all even when rearing up, but Pseudonaja aspidorhynca can do a brilliant Cobra hood for example, and many of them even have hood markings reminiscent of Asian Cobras. Red-bellieds and Tigers can certainly put on a great 'Cobra hood' display. Colubrids and even pythons sometimes hood, even species which are not sympatric with any hooding venomous snakes, such as North American Hognose Snakes, which are only sympatric with non-hooding Elapids (Coral Snakes). Years ago I was very surprised when I first saw an Australian Keelback hooding (it's not common with them and I saw hundreds before I saw it for the first time, which funnily was captive bred).

Hi Vixen.

As Sdaji has said not all elapids "hood" but quite a few do and in particular the larger elapids. Unlike Sdaji the many Common Browns (Pseudonaja textilis) I have encountered over the years, although not as spectacular as some others of the same genus or like Red Bellied Blacks or Tigers, have tended to "hood" either upright in a threat display or just generally when provoked.

Another species that doesn't get a lot of mention but also has an impressive hood display is the Spotted Black Snake (Pseudechis guttatus)

A couple of pics below. The pic of the Brown isn't that good but does show the snake "Hooding"

919187_4914186447616_867807659_o.jpg

Pseudechis guttatus - Spotted Black (Warrialda NSW)

1275895_10200811873074273_2043651413_o.jpg
Pseudonaja Textilis - Eastern Brown (Inverell NSW)

Last edited:
Hi Vixen.

As Sdaji has said not all elapids "hood" but quite a few do and in particular the larger elapids. Unlike Sdaji the many Common Browns (Pseudonaja textilis) I have encountered over the years, although not as spectacular as some others of the same genus or like Red Bellied Blacks or Tigers, have tended to "hood" either upright in a threat display or just generally when provoked.

Another species that doesn't get a lot of mention but also has an impressive hood display is the Spotted Black Snake (Pseudechis guttatus)

A couple of pics below. The pic of the Brown isn't that good but does show the snake "Hooding"

View attachment 333891

Pseudechis guttatus - Spotted Black (Warrialda NSW)

View attachment 333892
Pseudonaja Textilis - Eastern Brown (Inverell NSW)

I haven't seen textilis hood much more than that one. They certainly put on a great display including standing right up etc, but I haven't seen them hood to anywhere near the extent of other Pseudonaja or other large elapids. I'd be interested to see pictures of them doing it. Textilis from different areas certainly do have big differences in various aspects including behaviour, and other species of Pseuddonaja put on great hood displays, so I wouldn't be surprised if some populations do it. Where have you seen them hooding significantly? Have you seen it to the same extent as things like Pseudechis and Notechis?

Latest posts

Back