Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjwooster

Reaction score
I am looking for the best substrate I should put in a black headed python enclosure? Some breeder said to use shredded paper, but I have heard that isn't the best nor the safest to use (no idea why though?).

Also what would the best substrate be for a click clack set up? I was going to use newspaper or papertowel but if you think I should use something else, let me know :)

It depends if you are looking to create a natural looking enclosure or not. For a more natural looking enclosure, try something like aspen bedding; for a cheaper substrate, you can't go past the recycled paper cat litter (Breeder's Choice or Woolworth's own brand).
Paper towel is your best option for a click clack.

When I was in Townsville, we used newspaper for substrate in all of our enclosures.

Now that I'm after a more natural look, I use euci mulch from Bunnings. It's cheap and one bag lets you do several medium sized enclosures.

Shredded paper is fine in my opinion. With BHP's it gives them the option to burrow so they feel quite secure.
I use shredded paper, newspaper or breeders choice. Cheap, easy, no fuss and certainly no qualms about throwing it away.

I just want what is best for the snake, not fussed on looks at the moment :)

Now that I'm after a more natural look, I use euci mulch from Bunnings. It's cheap and one bag lets you do several medium sized enclosures.
Is euci mulch safe? Like, no chemicals etc that could harm the snake?

Shredded paper is fine in my opinion. With BHP's it gives them the option to burrow so they feel quite secure.
I use shredded paper, newspaper or breeders choice. Cheap, easy, no fuss and certainly no qualms about throwing it away.
What is breeders choice? The only breeders choice I know of is recycled kitty litter.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

You got it. Recycled paper pellets. Common form of reptile substrate.
I'm not saying any of these are the best but cheap and easy. All really comes down to personal preference.

I've tried a few and I found newspaper to work best for me.
It's far more hygienic and easier to identify and clean up waste and completely remove from the enclosure.

I agree with the newspaper option as well. Ease of through cleaning should rate the highest on any keepers list when choosing substrate. I change the newspaper every time is see waste and it only takes a few seconds. I collect newspaper from local cafes so it doesn't cost me a cent either.

Haha I'll do the best I can, just started building my click clack tonight. Will post a photo when im done :)

I use the euci mulch for my lizards, paper towel/newspaper for hatchlings and shredded paper for my adult woma. I tried sand for her but I really didn't like it and she kept on ingesting it which wasn't overly good for her and had a lot more trouble shedding...

over all shredded would have to be my favourite

Is that why my little guy is always more interested in the paper and trying to turn it over:D

Never shred it or you'll end up with a cranky snake from them not being able to read any of it.

I just lay it flat in heaps of layers with the comics and horoscopes facing up and always try have a pretty girl under his hide.
Is that why my little guy is always more interested in the paper and trying to turn it over:p...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back