SugarGlider out at Daytime?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella C

Reaction score
Hello! My family has woken up this morning to find a sugar glider clinging to our flyscreen door. The sun came up 2 hours ago and he refuses to move.
I'm not sure if he's sick or injured as I haven't looked at him closely, wishing to give him some space.
Just wondering,
- is this abnormal?
- should I contact a vet or wildlife rescue to see if he's ill (I'd probably wait a few hours to see if he moves on)

There are cats in my neighbourhood, so him being out like this is rather concerning

Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert but there are plenty of reasons an animal might be out and about outside it's normal hours.
Humans sleep at night and are awake during the day but there are plenty of reasons why a human might stay awake at night and illness is only one of them.
I wouldn't assume it is sick or injured. Just leave it along and it will move on.

I'm certainly no expert but there are plenty of reasons an animal might be out and about outside it's normal hours.
Humans sleep at night and are awake during the day but there are plenty of reasons why a human might stay awake at night and illness is only one of them.
I wouldn't assume it is sick or injured. Just leave it along and it will move on.
Ok will do
Thank you!

@Ella C
This is NOT normal behaviour for a wild sugar glider. These are social animals by nature, living together in well-established groups. Being small and inoffensive animals, their behaviour is geared to avoiding predators. They are entirely nocturnal, hence the particularly large eyes, coming out after dark to feed and returning before it starts to get light. They also nest high in the trees to avoid predators and feed at at or around this height. So sometime is definitely not right here. I’d contact wildlife rescue ASAP as it is a potential target for not only cats and dogs, but also raptors and other birds of prey.

Being out in daylight and clinging to a flyscreen door suggests to me that it might very likely be a captive animal that has gotten out of its owner’s residence and lost its way trying to get back. It would be worth speaking to the wildlife rescue person about the worth of door knocking or do a letter drop in the local neighbourhood to try and locate the owner and let then know where they can reclaim their pet.

Yes, I second that. Sugar gliders on their own during the day means there's something wrong. Please call your local wildlife rescue. I hope all is ok!

@Ella C
This is NOT normal behaviour for a wild sugar glider. These are social animals by nature, living together in well-established groups. Being small and inoffensive animals, their behaviour is geared to avoiding predators. They are entirely nocturnal, hence the particularly large eyes, coming out after dark to feed and returning before it starts to get light. They also nest high in the trees to avoid predators and feed at at or around this height. So sometime is definitely not right here. I’d contact wildlife rescue ASAP as it is a potential target for not only cats and dogs, but also raptors and other birds of prey.

Being out in daylight and clinging to a flyscreen door suggests to me that it might very likely be a captive animal that has gotten out of its owner’s residence and lost its way trying to get back. It would be worth speaking to the wildlife rescue person about the worth of door knocking or do a letter drop in the local neighbourhood to try and locate the owner and let then know where they can reclaim their pet.
Yes, I second that. Sugar gliders on their own during the day means there's something wrong. Please call your local wildlife rescue. I hope all is ok!
Ah ok. Will do that now, he's still there so that would make sense.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back