Surgery tomorrow.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned_fisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys. Many of you may remember from last year when I broke my leg, on the Sunday of queens birthday long weekend.. I got the plate put in my leg and all that.. Now, this time I am getting it taken out.. So I go in for surgery tomorrow and will be in hospital over night.
Just thought i'd let everybody know whats going on:)

How I broke my leg:
Me and a heap of other family friends were camping down in Grevillia northern new south wales.. Me and my cousin were having a bit of fun, racing.. We got to one jump, which wasnt to wide, so I thought I might aswell let her go over it first, save ourselfs from getting hurt.. As she went over the jump, she started doing fishies.. As she landed, she was thrown off the bike and was lying in the middle of the track as I landed.. So I stopped to warn the other riders... But not always you get the best from doing a good thing, as i was standing on the jump, as it was a table top, 2 riders came over the jump at the same time, trying not to hit each other, while trying not to hit me.. In the end they clipped handle bars and one of the bikes hit me. Broke my femur clean just above the knee.. Was air lifted to Lismore base hospital.

If you'd like the full story, here you go. Its a long story..

This was on the sunday of Queens birthday long weekend, 2008.

There was 40 or so of us riding at a property in Grevillea, NSW. The guy that owns the property has a Motocross track. It was all for fun, racing mates, who can jump the highest ect ect.
There was one table top which was hectic. You cannot see a thing over it untill you are in the air.. We didnt have any marshalls or whatever to wave us down if there was a crash anywhere on the track.

I was riding my Crf230, while my cousin was riding my old 150. A few corners before the accident occured, I had past her. She then past me as I did a jump, she went the short cut round it. I thought it would be better if I let her go through as I landed so she doesnt come off.
Then the big Table top was up. She sped up trying to get away from me. But as the track was still wet from the not before, it wasn't exactly jumping conditions, especially for that jump. As she hit the jump, all I could see was the back wheel spining and her doing fish tails, she landed pretty darn hard, smashed into the ground. I land with the brakes on, and dropped the bike in a real hurry.

I got up on the table to to wave the riders down so she wouldnt get hit. Two riders came over at the same time, and as they landed, they clipped bikes. One went one way, and the other came straight to me. He hit just above my knee and I was sent flying about 5ft and rolled down the jump, which was about 7ft. I was knocked out for around two minutes.
I woke up, people standing around me.. The bloke who hit me was standing right next to me. He told me to get up, I told him that I wasnt getting up because my knee was broken, thats what I thought at the time. Then we started argueing wheather or no I should get up.
The only reason he didn't think I was serious, was because I wasnt crying (Apperently).
He then took my helmet off, and called for adults to come down. Luckly there was two ladies with Nurse training or whatever.

They called the Ambo's, they arrived within 30mins, felt like 2 hours! All I wanted to do was go to sleep! But they wouldn't let me go to sleep for obvious reasons.
The ambos cut my new fox jersey, new fox pants, new fox boots. That was one of the bad things.. I then go the drip and all the works.

As it was to remote of an area for me to be driven out, the Careflight chopper was called in. When they arrived, they gave me a Green stick straight up. BEST THING EVER!!!!!!:D
The next thing was them pulling my leg back into place.. that was really painful!

It was really confuseing.. They had gotten the stretcher under me, then I was lifted up, and put back onto flat surface. I could see the sky and all, people arouund me. But I thought I was in the Chopper, yet I kept on thinking I was in heaven.. That Green stick is good!
Started saying the stupidest things, asked if people were still there.. I even asked if my dad could bring the snakes over to me:)

I was then finally put on the chopper, my mum or dad couldnt get on the Chopper as there wasnt enough room. Finally got to Lismore base hospital, took my parents 2 hours to get there. So I was pretty much by myself for an hour and 45 mins. By the time my parents got there, I was asleep.
I was then woken up when they were putting a needle in my arm again. The doctors started washing my arms and face, hair.. Then my parents and the doctors were pulling peices of grass out from under me all over the place.
One of the nurses said to one of the Careflight dudes, "Ahh, thanks Rolly, you brang me Roses". I found this reaaaaallly funny as I was still drugged up on the green stick.

I was put into a room where they started puting a brace on, which didnt hurt. But my dad got really pissed off when they tried to tie my leg up so it was hanging. My dad then got his duck tape out of his pocket and started tapeing the dodgy tie up job like crazy!
It was soooo hard to get to sleep as everytime I was just about asleep, my muscles would spasm and would wake me up. Jeeze that hurt!

They said that I would be in traction for 6 weeks, at Lismore Base hospital, then we told them that we live in Brisbane, and then they rang Brisbane Mater and I was transported in a Ambo car from Lismore to Tweed, then I was put on a QLD Ambo, then taken to the Mater.
It was good, as the NSW ambos gave me a green stick. I think they started to regret that after I started going on about how Qld was going to beat NSW in the SOO. And Qld did, 30-0:)

When I got into Brisbane Mater, I was put into a waiting room type thing. I finally go to sleep, and they had woken me up when they were pulling my leg back to place and putting it in a brace as Lismore didnt do a good job. When I woke up, my dad gave me happy gas straight away. No where near as good as the green stick:)

They got me into my own room. That night, at around 11, I was suppost to go into surgery. But it was called off. I was then suppost to be put into surgery the next day, which was the tuesday. But that was called off, I was then suppost to go in that after noon. But it was called off. Then I was suppost to go in 11 pm that night, but that was called off. I was crapping myself as I didnt want to wake up half way through surgery, as it was my first time in surgery.
I was then told that I would go into surgery on Wedensday morning. But that was called off.

Finally, 2pm the Wedensday arvo I was taken to the theatre. Put to sleep.... Ect ect. They did what they had to do, no problems. I woke up at 6pm, and was so pissy because I was woken up! It was a good sleep.
My mum was worrying as it took so long..

Me and my parents were argueing wheather or not I could stay up the whole way through the SOO. That 4 hour sleep helped me out, my mum fell asleep by the 30th minute, I was still awake till 12.

After that, it was good, no more muscle spasms as I hate a nice new Plate and 8 screws in my leg:)

The worst thing now, was getting upright after laying in bed for 5 days. Doesnt sound like much, but it hurts a lot!
With the brace on, that was 2 and a half kilos, and being upright on crutches, all the blood rushing to my leg again and the broken bone. It felt like I had a million kilos on my leg..
I absolutely kills!!

I finally go used to it and I was allowed back on on the Sunday afterwards. Exactly a week after I broke it. Getting back was great, seeing the dog again, eating really food and seeing my fish and Snakes again.. It was wonderful.

I got 2 and a half months of school, but I did get work sent to me and a mate came and helped me out with work, he is a Teacher.

I was on crutches for 5 months, a brace on for 4.

I am now running, decent agility for this early of my recovery, I can kick a footy well, do all my sports, except for motocross just yet.
It'll be September/November before i can get back on the bike:( But when I think about it, there is definately people worse off then me:(

I go back into surgery on the 27th of May to get the Plate out, yet that my change.

Many of you may have seen my story in the QT and people from the Lismore area may have seen my story in one of there papers, get remember which one.

Thanks guys:)

You write really well for such a young dude Trouser. All the very best for your upcoming surgery and I hope you have a hasty recovery and get spoilt rotten! Shell

sounds like a painful ordeal, good-luck tomorrow. Hope it goes well for ya.

Thanks a lot guys.
But, it didnt happen today. Theres the smallest little scratch on the scars, so the surgens were worried of infection if any bad things got from the scratch to the bone and all.
Will be done in a few weeks..

it really, really annoyed me and my mother.. We have been waiting in at the hospital since 6.30 this morning. One lady came out to check the scars, check my weight, age, ect ect.. She said that the scars might be a bit of a problem, and she said she'll check on it.. Now that was at 7.30 this morning.. The surgen didn't some out to check it out till 12! So we were sitting there, waiting, hoping to get operated on, just to be told after 6 hours to go home.. Come back another day.

How frustrating for you. Still, it is better to be cautious and wait, rather than end up with a staph infection in the bone. Hope it all goes well when ithe surgey does go ahead.

gee, that sucks,.. :(

but it does sound like a fair reason,... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back