Tails Turns 12

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have had my Coastal for 12 years this week. Back when I got him was advised that 10 to 12 years was normal life expectancy in captivity.

Just wondering on what current life expectancy is for pythons in captivity and who has or has had a long lived python.

Most sources I've seen today say 20 - 25 years for carpets (I haven't heard or read anything to suggest it varies between subspecies). Obviously wild specimens average significantly shorter than captive snakes.
I've worked with a darwin python that hit >30 years before she passed a few months ago (the sanctuary wasn't given an age when she was surrendered, 30 yrs is assuming she was only 1 year old when she first arrived).
There's constantly new studies being published on this kind of stuff, I'm sure the general consensus 12 years ago is very different than it is today.
He must be pretty big at 12 though! Nothing better than a big old carpet.

I will run him through HerpMeasure this week to find out his real length, but his shed skins are just over 4m

Latest posts

Back