Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herpkeeper

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all, went for a look last night around the Kennedy area just north of Cardwell and found this Taipan about seven and a half feet laying on the road at 8-38pm. :shock: the tempreture on the road was 30.1 degrees, it was very defensive :evil: as i tried to get close for a cpl of pics. this is the second one i have found in this area of a night time, the last one was a cpl of years ago and was around the eight foot mark & fully went me as i (silly:oops:) invaded it's comfort zone for a pic :shock:

Last edited:
Is this one definatly a taipan? cause i would have called that one as a brown if it wasn`t so long! I`m begining to think that any snake i see with brown colouration i should call it venemous and leave it at that! ;) Oh nice find by the way!:D

Is this one definatly a taipan? cause i would have called that one as a brown if it wasn`t so long! I`m begining to think that any snake i see with brown colouration i should call it venemous and leave it at that! ;) Oh nice find by the way!:D

100% on this one, absolutely a tai! Awesome find, i love seeing pics of these guys.

nice find herpkeeper. you're leaving it a bit late to head down for a bbq :)

Dave, can you post me up a snag sanga with extra onions and sweet chilli sauce ??? LOL
also came across a BIG scrub python about 15 foot, some brown tree snakes & some nice white lipped frogs( litoria infrafrenata) :lol:

Last edited:
I would SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hate to live up there.... Must be terrible

thats so cool,all the times i have been herping up that way the 2 things i have wanted to find most of all is a big scrubby and a taipan but have had no luck yet you go out and in one night find the 2 thing i want to find, NOT HAPPY.....LOL,LOL.now you have got me thinking of doing another trip up there just to see if i can find them.any tips on great spots would be handy.

thanks for the great pics.

cheers all, Ryan we found 9 snakes as well ! 1 x Taipan, 3 x scrubbies, 4 x brown tree snakes & 1x slatey on the highway which nearly become road kill, and so did I trying to move it !!!

By the look of the head mate, there is not much chance of that being a brown........

I'd love to see a wild tai nice pics well done

Fantastic find....

Do taipans move much at night and what sort of habitat was it in?

People might um and ah as to what it is when shown a photo of a Brown snake....but there's no doubting a Taipan when you see one!

Where's Carol when you need an ID???

Great find there mate and I can't believe you came across the taipan at that time of night seeing as they're mainly out and about around 9 in the morning and late afternoons which is the main times I've usually seen them and never ever at night.....very interesting indeed and I wonder if it was just on the move or looking for a feed?

Krusty, i only got two shots of the scrubbie, there wasa car comming so i chased it off the road
Saratoga, it was cane feild on one side and sub tropical scub the other. & yes i do believe they move around after dark but not usually that late !
Browns, it was just sitting there mate, i used my lazer thermo gun and checked the road temp and it was around 30 degrees at the time, maybe it was a female warming her eggs ??? i have seen another one some years back at Mt Morgan, that was around 8pm, & swampie & I a few years back seen one after dark on the malborough / Sarina rd

Can you tell us about your "laser thermo gun"......you just point and shoot?

What type of range does it have...couple metres?

You said the road temp was 30 degrees...is it also possible to hit the snake and get a reading off it?
Also does it include an air temp reading or do you need another thermometer for that?

thanks

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back