That's not food!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawra

Come here Squishy!
Reaction score
Ok so I just fed my woma (12 months old) his rat and straight after finishing he looked around and decided that a piece of paper towel wet from rat juice needed to be eaten.

*facepalm*

He should be fine, right?

It will pass, wouldn't be the first Woma pig to eat something foreign!

I had a Jungle eat its own heat cord >.< boy was that an awkward situation. But yes somethings will pass.. others; may be cause for worry.

I had a Jungle eat its own heat cord >.< boy was that an awkward situation. But yes somethings will pass.. others; may be cause for worry.

Oh wow! Please tell me more about that - sounds intense!

Update: he ate 4 pieces of paper towel in total then finally stopped. No idea why - needed roughage?

Why didn't you stop it from eating 4 pieces?

Because I'd left for work and found out from my partner when I got home... I told him about it before I left but he doesn't like snakes (understatement) so just sat and watched. Substrate is paper towel and I didn't think to change the whole thing before I left.

A friend of mine has a scrubby that ate its heat cord too. To everyone's surprise, it past through without any dramas. The cords plastic coating was mostly dissolved when it came out.

Ate the heat cord eh? Now that is what I call desperate for a hot meal!

I have a theory on the swallowing paper towelling... It simply wanted to wipe its bottom. Last in, last out, nice clean vent!

Blue

She ate her cord But she is no scrub python as she is not the length of the cord rather shorter.

With half of the heat cord inside her and me panicking bad. I gently massaged her belly to get her gag reflex to kick in, it took what felt like an hour before she regurgitated the whole thing and what I thought was a happy ending was really a stinky half digested rat was to follow at the end of the heat cord.

Then it was my turn to regurgitate ! =^.^=

One dislocatable hinge in her head never really looked normal afterward but she is still fit and healthy, laid 8 eggs in November just need to give her smaller meals.

Lesson : tape your heat cord down like so it can't be mistaken for food!

Could you not just pull the cord out without needing the gag reflex? I am not that sure on the anatomy of a snakes insides but can't see a reason why you couldn't just pull it out.

Possibly not. Glad it worked out ok and I think I would freak a little too.

Maybe [MENTION=1228]Pythoninfinite[/MENTION] would have a bit more of an idea.

She ate her cord But she is no scrub python as she is not the length of the cord rather shorter.

With half of the heat cord inside her and me panicking bad. I gently massaged her belly to get her gag reflex to kick in, it took what felt like an hour before she regurgitated the whole thing and what I thought was a happy ending was really a stinky half digested rat was to follow at the end of the heat cord.

Then it was my turn to regurgitate ! =^.^=

One dislocatable hinge in her head never really looked normal afterward but she is still fit and healthy, laid 8 eggs in November just need to give her smaller meals.

Lesson : tape your heat cord down like so it can't be mistaken for food!

Actualy, the lesson there should be to have your heat cord on the out side of the enclosure, or incased/underneath something the snake can't move.

You NEVER want to use tape inside a snakes enclosure. I have personally seen snakes half skin themselves from getting stuck to tape. So you'll find the tape will be a much more lethal problem then the heat cord.

After that moment I really dont use heat cords anymore >.<

Can snakes self harm with cloth tape ? as that was what was on it just it came loose.

Ate the heat cord eh? Now that is what I call desperate for a hot meal!

I have a theory on the swallowing paper towelling... It simply wanted to wipe its bottom. Last in, last out, nice clean vent!

Blue

Oh dear! I know you're joking but that's hilarious because he never poops in his enclosure and only when he's out so I always wipe his bum with paper towel so he doesn't trail it around.

Can snakes self harm with cloth tape ? as that was what was on it just it came loose.

Anything with a sticky surface can dislodge with heat and then stick to your snakes skin and potentially cause damage.

Its only one side of sticky tape that will hurt your snakes and I'm assuming its the same with any kind of tape you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back