The gloves are OFF!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest update/email from 2 days ago...

RE: CTS No. 03549/21 - Letter from the Director-General, Department of Environment and Science

Wildlife Management
to Marc, Kevin

Hello Marc, (and Kevin)

Thank you for your detailed communication on 09.04.2021 in regards the keeping and breeding of Purvis turtles in Queensland.

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. We have had a busy time here, and the department’s stance remains unchanged as per our email and telephone communications.

The legislation was changed in 2020 and with that the requirements of keeping certain animals has also changed. I do understand that change can be difficult, especially when the change is perceived as not being for the benefit of the animal and when it effects your plans. However, we must work within the law and currently a there are specific pathways for you to purse to be able to keep and breed Purvis turtles in Queensland.

The Department has a very strong commitment to helping people find options to comply with their legislative requirement, and that is our interest in discussing this matter with you. It is also our responsibility to ensure that we respond to non-compliance the legislation appropriately and proportionally.

It is not part of the role in my team to advocate on your behalf for a change in the current legislation in Queensland. But we are very committed to working with you and other purvis keepers to pursue a way to keep animals under the new legislation, including options to breed the animals so that animals can eventually be released to the wild in New South Wales and contribute to the conservation of the species in the wild.

I believe, as per my previous email, there are several options that would allow you to achieve this, specifically, either:
  1. Establishing an arrangement to keep and breed animals on a “permit to keep” based on the condition of transferring any newly bred animals to a captive breeding agreement in New South Wales, or
  2. Pursuing your own captive breeding agreement under Queensland legislation, with a view to eventually releasing the animals to the wild in New South Wales.
I think there is a great opportunity to work constructively to find a solution for continued keep of this animal in Queensland. However if those options aren’t something you would like to pursue I would suggest that you contact the Minister to advocate for a change to the relevant legislation.

Continued banter with QPWS&P about the merits of the current legislation, or your views on the department’s work more broadly are not likely to be very helpful at this point. The requirements of the legislation are very clear at this point, as are the options available to the keepers of this species. I understand that many keepers of this species are now moving closer to the end of their licences, and I would suggest now is an excellent time to take appropriate action to ensure you (and other keepers) are acting within the law and to secure a good outcome for your current turtles, any potential progeny, and the species as a whole.

Andrew Mullens
Manager, Operational Policy and Governance
Wildlife and Threatened Species Operations, Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of Environment and Science
sounds like more double speak from the ministry for communication. In other words we don't give a **** and you will have to destroy all your progeny even though they are destined for extinction. I wish you all the best in your endeavour Kevin

Last edited:
sounds like more double speak from the ministry for communication. In other words we don't give a **** and you will have to destroy all your progeny even though they are destined for extinction. I wish you all the best in endeavour Kevin
I have a couple of last resort aces up my sleeve yet mate.

Latest posts

Back