The (Sad) Tale of Gigantor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most CTS enthusiasts on this site would be aware of Gigantor, my particularly large Common Tree Snake. At ~1.8m long, I've been under the assumption that she may have been the largest CTS in captivity. Certainly, I've never been made aware of a bigger one.

You may have noticed that I used the past tense just then, and that's because I have the sad task of reporting that she has recently died, most likely due to post-surgery complications. But I promised you a story and, for the most part (chronologically), it's a happy one. Although it didn't start that way ...

I acquired Gigantor three years ago in poor condition from a friend who didn't have the time to put into to get her back to good health - he'd bought her sight-unseen. Like nearly all adult Common Tree Snakes she was originally wild-caught and had seemingly never adjusted well to captivity. She'd obviously had a problem shedding, with a retained eyecap and two dodgy patches of ventral scales. Unsurprisingly her first slough with me was predominantly unsuccessful.
TopPatch1.jpgBottomPatch2.jpgPatchySlough.jpg

I didn't hold out much up for her in the early days, but she's a tough nut (as she would later prove) and she not only recovered but prospered. Without wanting to get too anthropomorphic, she was absolutely the loveliest, placid, most gentle-natured snake that I have come across. She was tolerant of anyone handling her and was happy just to site on my shoulders whilst I watched tv without feeling the need to explore ... more so than any python. I wish I had more photos of her in her prime, but some of you will have seen her at Amazing Amazon display at the expo a couple of years ago. Here's a couple of photos showing her size compared to my largest Golden CTS ...
Gigantor+GoldFemale2b.jpgGigantor+GoldFemale2a.jpg

She was quite the voracious feeder and that didn't always end up so well for me ...
CTSbite2.jpgCTSbite4.jpgCTSbite2b.jpg

Fast forward to this year and I noticed that she was gravid. She dropped a couple of slugs but there still appeared to be eggs inside. After a while I became worried and, shortly after some manipulation, another couple of slugs appeared. But there were still more in there, so I took her to the vet. As it turned out, she was eggbound, but in only one oviduct. And because she was such a large snake, the eggs were probably there originally unnoticed for a long time. An xray revealed 5 eggs and they were surgically removed.
Xray.jpgOviduct.jpgPostSurgey.jpg

She seemed fine after surgery and began eating immediately. She went into slough mode a couple of weeks before her stitches were due to come out and when I went to assist her get past the incision I was shocked to find the following aggressive (wasn't evident a few days earlier) infection ...
Infection1.jpgInfection2.jpg

So back to vet we went and after making a 20cm incision what couldn't be seen on xray was a mass of liquid and solid pus - the result of a previous infection further up her body. In all likelihood, she had been carrying this around for years. The vets were shocked that she was still alive ... let alone prospering. They had no alternative but to remove all the pus they could, leave a drain in her and flush it out out daily.
Solid Pus.jpgSolid Pus Removed.jpgLiquid Pus.jpgPlacing the drain.jpgClosing the abdomen.jpg

Believe it or not, after all this, a week after surgery she was back home with a (typical CTS) smile on her face. She was kept in a newly F10-disinfected tub and regularly 'bathed' in a betadine solution. She was eating, though without her previous vigour. Once again she went into slough mode and this time the incision seemed fine, although I had to cut the skin away close to the actual stitches.

But unfortunately, the inevitable occurred and she died last weekend. Even in death she was still the epitome of placid ...
Death1.JPG

So it's sad end to a triumphant story. She lasted three years longer than I ever expected and enchanted all those who met her. RIP Gigantor.

What a beautiful tribute for such a beautiful snake. You gave her the best life she could have imagined after her rough start and I'm sure she was grateful for your wonderful persistence and care <3

RIP Gigantor, you will be forever remembered and forever missed.

RIP Beautiful Gigantor, I agree with sharky what a lovely tribute.

A great story and I'm sure you gave her the best life possible. I'm sorry for your loss.

This actually made me tear up. That's so sad. RIP gigantor you beautiful girl!

Wow if this isn't a testament to how tough reptiles are, I don't know what is. Great job nursing the snake back to health. To be honest my heart sank when I saw the pictures of the infection clean out. How a snake can bounce back to the point of eating on a regular basis from that infection is a strong indication of your exceptional reptile keeping abilities. Truly a unfortunate ending for a incredible snake. I wish you nothing but the best.

Regards, Patrick

That sucks man, as a child I was forever climbing trees in remote FNQ and often came across CTS and never had one be aggressive towards myself.
I've been sitting at my computer for about 40 mins with my bredli around my neck he/she is the calmest snake and doesn't run away like you said about yours.
I would be devastated if mine were to pass i feel for you.

Whats the status of the eggs?

Shane is an amazing vet, i'm sure you gave her the best chance possible for recovery.

Sad to hear she didn't make it...but haven't we all learned how amazing snakes are.
Thank you for sharing this story
Cheers
Sandee :)

How long was she carrying those eggs around for? Poor Gigantor, she was truly a magnificent snake. I am so sorry she did not recover.

I'm sorry to hear you lost her, but it's clear you cared for her very well and did everything you could. I'm glad to know that she spent her last days with someone who cared for her as well as you did.

shame you lost your friend, i know the feeling and it can be a difficult thing to come to grips with, unique animals like Gigantor are a rare pleasure to find and interact with - whether they are snakes , birds ,dogs, etc. my heartfelt condolences.

Thanks to everyone for your empathetic comments.

I'll start checking memory cards for some photos of her in happier times.

That's so sad... I cried when I read this. you did all you could NicG

Rest In Peace Ginantor...

Sad story NicG; your a true hero to animals. :)

Wish your story had a better ending. Now kind of embarrassed at work with a teary eye :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back