The whale wars.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With Sea Shepard heading back down to the Southern oceans once again to stop the Japs, Its a good time to help spread around some info that some might find interesting.

Greenpeace, after collecting millions of dollars in donations from people who are genuinly concerned about the welfare of these creatures, has pulled the plug and deem it unnecessary to go down there this year. :shock: I am glad I don't donate to them.

As well, the Aust Government has now pulled out completely from the situation, hand in hand with the New Zealand government, saying that they will not offer any assistance or help to any vessal or crew that opposes the slaughter (namely Sea Shepard) if they receive injury or damage that is deemed life threatening.
Even though a new Zealand emergency chopper was sent down in previous years when a jap crew member became sick and needed medical help.

This year the Japanese are heading back down with their full flotilla of mother ships and kill ships as well as under the protection of a naval japanese gun ship.

So Sea Shepard on board the Steve Irwin are going down in what will be a lonely and quite possibly deadly mission. This year could be the decider, it is make or break for the Japanese Yakusa if they lose money this year they could quite possibly have to abandon their illegal activity for ever. (How good would that be!)

Isn't it odd that on such a critical season, the Australian govt pull out along with Greenpeace, and the Japanese take along a warship?

Heres why lots of people voted Labour and Garrett.

Attachments

• Peter Garrett MP.doc
    25 KB · Views: 48
When Peter Garrett became a politician I never expected him to sell out :rolleyes:

I think you are right, it will be interesting to see what becomes of whaling this season.

What I want to know is how come Japan is able to provide a war ship, isn't the sanctuary in Australian waters?

Also, if whaling was done humanly at sustainable levels would it be ok?

Yes mate, its in a globally recognised whale sanctuary in Australian waters. Its like letting them raid our national parks for snakes.

Whale meat is full of mercury and not healthy to eat. There is now scientific proof that a particular Right Whale eating community is suffering from the poisoning and its being expressed in the younger generations. Their doctors are warning them not to eat the whale meat anymore.

Yep old Petes sold his bottom, and has lost face to many Aussies. Its really a shame he was like our guiding light. I still find it hard to beleive his actions.

I'm posting this for discussion, but please remember that at the end of the day whale meat is toxic. So all arguments for, are going to be flawed when we know this.

I would like more people to know whats going on, especially if lives are lost this year. (Human and whale).

also dolphins

Whale meat is full of mercury and not healthy to eat. There is now scientific proof that a particular Right Whale eating community is suffering from the poisoning and its being expressed in the younger generations. Their doctors are warning them not to eat the whale meat anymore.

You may find this link interesting as it is quite specific about the local Japanese catch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/world/asia/21dolphin.html?_r=1&fta=y

Ciao
David

I'm posting this for discussion, but please remember that at the end of the day whale meat is toxic. So all arguments for, are going to be flawed when we know this.
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here and say that if we are poisoning them through polluting the waters, which surely must eventually have ramifications on natural whale populations, does it really matter if we kill and eat them. Either way they will probably end up dead from human activities.

I don't think that your argument that the meat is toxic is as absolute asyou think it is. It is just another way in which human activity negatively impacts on whales.

There is be likely to be benifit to other endangered or vunerable whale species by managing the populations of abundant whales. Sadly both sides of this issue seem to be running on emotion, science seems to be thrown out. I think its good that the government doesnt support the illegal actions of sea shepard.

Sadly both sides of this issue seem to be running on emotion, science seems to be thrown out.

I'm so glad you brought this up. I have tried many times to rationally and logically justify my opposition to whaling and I simply can't. My reaction is purely emotionally and culturally driven, as I believe most people's responses are ("majestic, beautiful creatures" etc) Some people probably think that about cows or bunnies but millions of them are slaughtered every year.

I can't actually verbalise what makes whales any different which actually troubles me - I prefer to have a solid argument behind anything I stand up for and I honestly can't think of one.

NB. can everyone please stop using the term "Jap", it is racist and offensive, no different to using "niggers" which I'm sure would be edited by mods. It's not that difficult to add "anese" at the end to prevent you sounding like my racist Grandfather!

What gets me, is the fact that if we sent a fleet of boats and a gun ship, to illegally fish japanese waters, it would be on for young and old..
Yet we bend over and take it up the tailpipe??

They know our govt. are p u s s i e s, and wont do jack about it, so they do what they like.

I think some well places sea mines are in order...

thats out rageous! i donated many times to greenpeace! screw them! and screw the Aus/NZ government!

I like to think of myself as a conservationist and i think my actions show that i am. However i do not and have never had a problem with whaling for any purpose if it is done in a sustainable manner and nothing is wasted.

The argument that whale meat is toxic i think is flawed, it is not a staple diet for any of the cultures that consume it and many things we consume are toxic yet as nations we still consume them.

i dont agree with whaleing for 1 reason and one reason only at the current rate at which whales are taken its not sustainable. thats a fact any for of hunting and or fishing is okay by me aslong as it is sustainible. im a conservationist who thinks through the trigger finger save it now so we can sustainibly kill it later.

The Japanese are doing nothing LEGALLY wrong.
"As sanctuaries only apply to commercial whaling, Japan has continued to hunt whales inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary because its whaling is done in accordance with a provision in the IWC charter permitting whaling for the purposes of scientific research "

There is be likely to be benifit to other endangered or vunerable whale species by managing the populations of abundant whales. Sadly both sides of this issue seem to be running on emotion, science seems to be thrown out. I think its good that the government doesnt support the illegal actions of sea shepard.

Do you really beleive that science has been thrown out? Science hasn't been given a chance yet, Peter Garrett said they would invest in a huge non-lethal science study but it just hasn't happened.

You are correct Chris about this issue running on emotions but as Australians we have an obligation to look after the animals in our National parks and sanctuarys. The japanese whalers are illegal poachers mate, nothing more, nothing less.

Sea Shepard does not involve itself in illegal action or criminal activity. This is a major point that needs to be understood. If someone would just arrest them and take them to court PLEASE!! The whalers and the government recognise that they would not win a court case against Sea Shepard. Sea Shepard are hoping to be taken to court for opposing the whalers, this is the opportunity they pray for so that the truth can be told, in a bona fide court of law with all the trimmings. Its a hell of a lot easier than going down there.

NB. can everyone please stop using the term "Jap", it is racist and offensive,

Sorry Jessb, i dont mean to offend you, but through years of traing martial arts, I have quite a few good Jap friends who don't care. They call me "Gaijin" I call them Jap. We are good mates and in the past have stood up for each other like brothers.

I am definatly not racist, but sometimes I can be offensive! :p I try not to be but I think I was born that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back