Thermostat/heat mat for hatchie Stimson Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meesh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m getting set up for a Stimsons Python hatchie and having fun comparing and weighing up all the different information. I’ve settled on the Reptile one starter kit, as I prefer it to the plastic lunchbox systema option and think I’ve heard enough good reports to be confident it’s not going to be a problem. I live in South East QLD, so it doesn’t get too cold here.
I’m at the stage where I’m looking at buying a thermostat for the heat mat. The pet shop assistant who said she didn’t own any snakes, only looked after the ones they sell there, talked me out of it saying they don’t need it, so I decided at the time I’d find out some more info about them and get one somewhere else.
She was saying that it’s difficult to drill a hole the right size to put the probe through without risking the snake escaping and that the snake will move to the cool side if it needs to cool down. But I’m also thinking it’s not just about controlling the air temperature, it’s about the temperature of the mat? The standard mat seems to be 5w, and I’ve heard 2-3w is enough? Which is what would be controlled by the thermostat? Or is it just the air temperature it’s controlling?!
Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts! :)

Hi there, first time commenting or posting here.
Also from SE QLD, you'll need a thermostat eventually so may as well start learning them now. PetCity Mt. Gravatt have a special on right now for the EcoTech Dual Dimming Thermostat. I'm currently waiting for mine to arrive as it's a really good deal.
Same boat, I've got a hatchy on its way but I'm not gonna waster money on a Reptile One Hatchling Kit.
I've got my Sistema tub, solder a few ventilation holes near the top of the tub and put your heat mat underneath with the probe on the actual mat. Measure your temps in the tub and adjust accordingly.
If you're deadset on getting the Hatchling Kit you'll definitely want the thermostat so it doesn't go anywhere higher than 34C Max. You can avoid a thermostat with Tubs by simply not putting the whole mat under the tub. 5w doesn't go too warm so it may actually not be enough for the hatchling kit and you may want the 7w or 10w with the thermostat to go over the temps. They grow pretty quick and will outgrow the kit within 6 months if you feed accordingly.
Pretty sure #Herpotology and #Sdaji would agree tubs with mats are the way to go. I browse the forum often to answer my own questions that other people have asked and saw these 2 guys get right into the conversation about heat mats and tubs.
The pet store employee was right in a sense if it's too hot they'll migrate to the cooler side but with no thermostat to actually monitor the temp you could end up creating one big hot box with almost no cooler side.
Hope this helps, still learning myself but thought I'd share my 2 cents. *expecting someone to disagree or correct me*

Hi StonedSquirtlee,

Thanks for your input, as I mentioned, I have been researching, so am aware of the arguments you raise and taking all into consideration have made up my mind about the hatchling kit (have purchased it) vs Systema tub and was asking for information about how to use the heatmat with the thermostat ;)

That's good to know about the probe, makes sense to put it under the mat and monitor the temperature. I can always buy a warmer heat mat if I need to.

Thanks again :)

That's good to know about the probe, makes sense to put it under the mat and monitor the temperature. I can always buy a warmer heat mat if I need to.
Hi Meesh, just wanted to clarify the probe goes on top of the mat, not below it so the probe would be inbetween the mat and enclosure.

Got a 15W heat mat for my Spotty. Under Enclosure, Sassy (spotty) moves to cooler side when too warm. Yes we got a Thermostat because its logical. I had similar xp with staff in a shop trying to talk me out of getting the Heat mat as she says lights are better for heat. But The lights weren't getting the temp up to the desired max. So got heat mat from another place and enclosure has perfect Gradients. Got Eco Tech Thermostats. Exo Terra Hygrometer (Digital) for humidity.

all so do note that in a year the stimson`s hachling will need a biger encloser when its 1 year old basicaly an encloshure for a adult stimson if its male it will only grow to 1 meater thats 3 feet if its female it will grow to ruffly 4 feet

Latest posts

Back