Thermostat problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right category - no doubt one of the moderators will move it if so! :eek:

I checked my snakes this morning and discovered that the temp in my diamond's enclosure was hovering at around 40 degrees C! The thermostat failed and wouldn't turn off even when set to zero. Thank goodness I've got 3 of the Herpshop specials arriving today or tomorrow.

The thing is only about 9 months old, but do you think I can find the receipt? :cry:

Has anyone else experienced any problems with this model :

therm.jpg

bit disturbing that - i've heard a lot about the habistat thermostats, and for that price as well, you'd want them to work.

on a side note, when did you order the special 3? i put an order in with brian 2 weeks ago tuesday (tomorrow) and still hasn't come :? not sure if that's normal or i'm just getting antsy

We use that brand but not that model.
Next time you are in the market for a thermostat have a look at the "dimming"type.
Instead of switching on and off all the time they do as the name implies.In theory they should last longer as they are not switching on and off all the time..
cheers

Lutdz, I have those Habistats in my vivariums and have never had a problem with them. So it may be a defective one. I have one in a viv for a children's and its set to 30, and its spot on all the time. I have 3 digital thermometers monitoring the temperature and thermal gradient with great results.

Hey_Im_Sam if you have been waiting that long for Brian to send you something, I would write an email to him to see whats happening. When I order something from him it usually only takes a few days max. The order you have may be out of stock or something, so send him an email enquiring and I am sure he will fill you in on whats happening with your order.

i did email him a couple days ago - the tuesday i placed the order was before a long weekend... so understandable. he said it would be in the mail the tuesday following the long weekend. and was.. but maybe 4 or 5 buisness days isnt bad for the mail? we'll see.

:p i use hatistat & the black box probes,i find the habaistat to be much more acurate & not had any probs with yet i pay $99 for habistat.All the orders ive placed with brian always turn up real quick so must be the long weekend. :p

THANKS

Bloody caps lock.

Thanks for all the responses! Greatly appreciated.. :eek:

I've got three 'Habistats' out of four thermostats...
No problems yet.
Hope it's just a once off....

Also, they cost enough, I really hope you can get it replaced by the shop.

I use those Habistats as well, no problem so far ( I hope I am not jinksing myself). They must be alright as both of mine have a five year warranty.
The dimmer model type is the best I believe, but costs a hell of a lot more.
Cheers

What is the dimmer model?
Is it the sun moon one??
What exactly is it called? What does it do differently.

It is a rheostat Nic, it actually inserts a measured resistance in the line before the heating load therefore reducing the output of the heating device and limiting the temperature that it can reach. The heat load remains on and is not switched on and off like it would be if connected in line with a thermostat.

heh, got some good stuff fitz! that 3 thermostat special, couple ceramic holders (the type you screw onto the ceiling), couple ceramic heaters, and a couple little digital thermometers. today i get to install it all heh :)

oh and just to let you guys know - i seem to remember a little debate about whether a snake crawling on the thermostat would perhaps change the temperature. the one's i have, it is very difficult to turn the thing. not so difficult that a person can't do it, but i have to think it would be physically impossible for any snake to do it.

they're the ones that had the january special in herpshop - 3 for $80. basic bellows thermostat (BASIC WALL THERMOSTAT I.M.I.T TA.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back