This is the one I wait all year for

Help Support AUSSIE PYTHONS:

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
Here we go again, and sadly, for the final time in my captive breeding career.

Critically endangered Manning river turtle - now (Wollumbinia purvisi) laying her precious clutch of eggs for 2021.
Every single one of these ancient creatures that can be brought into the world is priceless.

To whoever earns the right to carry the torch from here on in and captive breed these turtles, the responsibility you have on your shoulders in huge as my experience and contributions are no longer required to preserve this species apparently as I'm not ZAA affiliated or qualified to do so.

Thanks all for your support over the past 18 months battling the nonsensical new QLD wildlife laws, it wasn't me that lost, it was the turtles.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. It will take many many months/years to put this project behind me after everything I've sacrificed and invested to unlock the secrets of Australia's oldest surviving most cryptic freshwater turtle.
20211027_173433.jpg
20211027_173448.jpg

The whole process was over in less than half an hour, she's back in her tank now having a feed and I excavated a total of 9 eggs, sadly, 1 was badly broken in the nest so I have 8 in the incubator. She's none the wiser and normally right now I'd be ecstatic but now that the clutch is in the incubator I think it's all hitting home, this is it, the last go round and it's a very somber mood here indeed.

Think I'm just gonna call it a night.

Cheers all.

20211027_180457.jpg20211027_180505.jpg20211027_180512.jpg

Pythonguy1

Reaction score
Here we go again, and sadly, for the final time in my captive breeding career.

Critically endangered Manning river turtle - now (Wollumbinia purvisi) laying her precious clutch of eggs for 2021.
Every single one of these ancient creatures that can be brought into the world is priceless.

To whoever earns the right to carry the torch from here on in and captive breed these turtles, the responsibility you have on your shoulders in huge as my experience and contributions are no longer required to preserve this species apparently as I'm not ZAA affiliated or qualified to do so.

Thanks all for your support over the past 18 months battling the nonsensical new QLD wildlife laws, it wasn't me that lost, it was the turtles.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. It will take many many months/years to put this project behind me after everything I've sacrificed and invested to unlock the secrets of Australia's oldest surviving most cryptic freshwater turtle.
View attachment 332051
View attachment 332052

The whole process was over in less than half an hour, she's back in her tank now having a feed and I excavated a total of 9 eggs, sadly, 1 was badly broken in the nest so I have 8 in the incubator. She's none the wiser and normally right now I'd be ecstatic but now that the clutch is in the incubator I think it's all hitting home, this is it, the last go round and it's a very somber mood here indeed.

Think I'm just gonna call it a night.

Cheers all.

View attachment 332053View attachment 332054View attachment 332055
I'll be honest, I definitely got a little teary reading that post. It just makes me want to toss the new laws, along with the people who created them, off a cliff all the more. Thanks for taking us on this incredible journey with you Kev. It's been a blessing to be able to watch your amazing work over the years :)

Friller2009

Reaction score
Will you still be able to keep them? Or have they been taken off the licence .
You’ve done lots for this species and it would be a shame to see them go.
Is there some sort of conservation permit you could apply for to continue to keep this species with us.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
Hi all, egg update - after just 22 hours of incubation at 26° the 8 purvis eggs have started banding, indicating that they're fertile. 👌

Incubation duration for purvisi is 50 days at 28° but this year I'm doing them 2 degrees cooler.
Now we wait.

20211028_162112.jpg20211028_162104.jpg

Herpetology

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
Will you still be able to keep them? Or have they been taken off the licence .
You’ve done lots for this species and it would be a shame to see them go.
Is there some sort of conservation permit you could apply for to continue to keep this species with us.
He’s only allowed to keep, not breed or sell

and *help* with breeding programs, I think he said in other thread

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
Basically I've been instructed that any further breeding of this species by myself will be an illegal activity and I'll face prosecution if I continue to breed purvisi. I've been instructed by QPWS that I need to destroy any future eggs by method of freezing.... this puts me in a bind as purvisi are an IUCN RED-LISTED species and interfering with a RED-LISTED species is illegal and punishable by huge fines and jail time... not to mention that doing so is just plain immoral to anyone with an iota of common sense and decency.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
AussiePythons Supporter
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
Basically I've been instructed that any further breeding of this species by myself will be an illegal activity and I'll face prosecution if I continue to breed purvisi. I've been instructed by QPWS that I need to destroy any future eggs by method of freezing.... this puts me in a bind as purvisi are an IUCN RED-LISTED species and interfering with a RED-LISTED species is illegal and punishable by huge fines and jail time... not to mention that doing so is just plain immoral to anyone with an iota of common sense and decency.
so the question is whether you follow the QLD rules or the international rules ???

"doing so is just plain immoral to anyone with an iota of common sense and decency."
We're talking about boofocrats here, they don't have either

Latest posts