Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had 2 different species of pythons (SW Carpet and Woma) and having trained both this way I would assume it may work with most. When I first bought both snakes I would do the wiggle thing with the mouse/rat to get their attention. After a couple of weeks they get to know the food and it's smell. From then on I place the food in the enclosure and leave it there. They will then learn to come out and look for it. There is no snapping at it or constriction. Both snakes at a very young age stopped snapping and have never bitten since. Woma's have a reputation for trying to eat anything that moves when they are hungry but I can handle mine at all times without being bitten as it now relys on its smell rather than movement to find its food. Hope this is of interest.

so. my darwin is stuck on quails. im gonna try him on a rabbit (i usually go a large quail followed by a jumbo rat) and i wanna see if he takes that, but has anybody got tips for getting him to make the switch to get off quails??

AArrrhhh.......
When getting a new python...leave it alone.........until it settles down. Cannot stress this enough..they are not toys..
NO handling.......especially hatchies.........handle them to clean only...they will naturally settle down when they realise there is nothing to hurt them...

You can always get your psycho one that will never be nice.

Just wanted to say thank you for everyones advice ! i am doing my research and decided on a diamond python for my first
i have bought all the books that you guys have reccomended THANKS it was a huge help.

p.s Fay- i agree i have a dane named slash and he is my pride and joy :)

I am a Newbee:
I have loved snakes/reptiles all my life and feel now is the right time for me.I have also done hours of research on internet.
Own and read: Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, Mike Swan..The guide to owning an Australian Python,John Coborn..Pythons A complete pet owners manual, Babbons..Keeping childrens pythons,Greg Fyle & Darren Green..
While searching the internet for info I came across Reptile Teritory in Darwin and looking at what snakes they had for sale fell inlove with the CCP I am now waiting for to come spend his life with me..Can't wait..
..Thanks Cloe..
P.S. If there are any other good books please let me know..
Espesially about Coastal Carpet Pythons..

Just some stuff I have done:
Been wanting a reptile for years, got books, read on the internet about my particular animal, volunteered in the zoological industry for a bit, handling their reptiles, getting to know what it was like owning, caring and managing reptiles. In the last 4 months, I have begun to look at certain species, worked out what I was planning to get, ringing around for who sells Mice/Rats also who is a good reptile vet. I set the tanks up first as I knew what I was looking for(1 Spotted Python, mature and easy to handle and 2 Central Beardie Hatchlings). I then went and looked at a few snakes/lizards and finally went to the reptile expo last Sunday and after talking with a few people there, was able to determine what I was looking for. Bought the Spotted on Monday afternoon and have just bought the 2 beardie hatchlings.

this thread is awesome. some awesome tips in here. within a week my black headed python will be coming home. should i feed it on the 2nd day then leave it a week before handing? she is a very easy going snake, i held her the day after she was fed and she was so placid :)

Please help, i need to know if this snake is poison

I found this snake on my outside window, i live in South of Texas at the border with Mexico, my little doughter got scared and i killed the snake, please help me, i want to know if it is something to be afraid of?

Thanks
Simone

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 246
I found this snake on my outside window, i live in South of Texas at the border with Mexico, my little doughter got scared and i killed the snake, please help me, i want to know if it is something to be afraid of?

Thanks
Simone

Not anymore, it's dead.

Thanks
Simone

If you don't bother it, it shouldn't bother you. your potentially putting yourself in danger, attempting to kill a snake, that could potentially be venomous and the next time, you may not be so lucky.

i got a question, ive got all the money i need to get my juvvie spotted python :D what kind of substrate do you guys recommend? and i want something that looks good too :D

Hey guys!

I've been obsessed with snakes and all things with scales since I can remember and after 21 years my parents are finally allowing one into their house. I'm heading to the Illawarra Annual Reptile show on Sunday and I'm wondering if it's a good place to buy a snake. I'm also curious if I should get my license before going there.

I also want it to be treated like royalty, so I'm wondering how much a nice set-up will cost? And since I really don't know, how much will a snake set me back?

Thanks for any advice!

Hey guys!

I've been obsessed with snakes and all things with scales since I can remember and after 21 years my parents are finally allowing one into their house. I'm heading to the Illawarra Annual Reptile show on Sunday and I'm wondering if it's a good place to buy a snake Yes . I'm also curious if I should get my license before going there. No one will sell you one on the spot without a license.

I also want it to be treated like royalty, so I'm wondering how much a nice set-up will cost How much money have you got?? And since I really don't know, how much will a snake set me back Between $100 and 5-8k?

Thanks for any advice!

You need to be more specific with your questions...

You need to be more specific with your questions...

I shall try!

I think I'll have about $800, do I need more? And I suppose that means I should get the license online before going to the show? And what prices will I be looking for, for a good beginner snake, that won't grow too large?

I shall try!

I think I'll have about $800, do I need more? And I suppose that means I should get the license online before going to the show? And what prices will I be looking for, for a good beginner snake, that won't grow too large?

First thing.... I think you need to figure out which snake you like the look of, what's "too large" by your standards as it varies with snake keepers.

First thing.... I think you need to figure out which snake you like the look of, what's "too large" by your standards as it varies with snake keepers.

I was thinking Eastern Small Blotched Python, Children's Python, or maybe a Pygmy Python.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, another Newbie here :)
Was wondering, is it better, when you get a hatchling, to put him/her into a click-clack or just put him straight into an enclosure?

The size of said enclosure will be 600mmx350mmx500mm... is that alright? with lots of hidey spaces and such?

Here's a tip: never ever put anything sticky in your cage. no sticky stape, duct tape etc etc. Also not sure if anyone has mentioned this so far, but make your enclosures escape proof! The amount of people that seem to lose snakes is unreal. Seems to me that if if you think your snake might have the slightest chance of getting through a small hole or gap, they probably can/will. And I would think an enclosure with sliding glass doors would not be a good idea for a snake any less than 12 months old (or atleast 6months if it was a larger than normal snake).

just my 2 cents

This is such a good point. I am a newbie and i didn't realise the previous owner had tape behind the thermometer as well as it screwed down. My poor baby python got stuck so badly i had to rush her straight to the after hours vet. after that and a follow up with a herp vet she recovered well. but i well and truly learnt my lesson. check everything and remove any stickies!!!

Latest posts

Back