Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if this has been done before, but maybe this can be turned into a sticky thread?

1. Never buy a snake on impulse! Read up about them and make sure you know whats involved before you get it or them.
2. Dont be tight when it comes to the caging and equipment needed to look after them properly.
3. People underestimate how important it is to read. Too many newbies believe everything they read on a forum. Do yourself a favour and spend a $100 on a good book, even before you buy the animal or its cage.

Hopefully others will add to this thread.

not just snakes but ALL reptiles,I am sick of reading PLEASE HELP threads from numbnuts who do no research BEFORE buying

"Believe nothing of what you hear, and half of what you see". On this forum
you'll come to realize who to listen to and who's racking up posts. Bottom line is...use common sense and filter out the bull *****... :)

I was thinking Eastern Small Blotched Python, Children's Python, or maybe a Pygmy Python.

I think you mean a spotted python :p and pretty sure you can't actually keep pygmy pythons - at least, I've never seen one in captivity.

Eastern Small Blotched is another name for Spotted Python. It's actually the name on the NSW species list. Plenty of people keep perthensis now. They are still rarer than other Antaresia but definitely not illegal to keep

Oh wow, that's great, I really love perthensis. Though it's definitely not on the ACT list. :(

And I do know that it's another name for a spotted, just wanted to make sure nebones did too :)

Spotted python enclosure.

Hello :)

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to snakes but I have been reading up a lot and am looking to get a 5 month spotted python from a nearby breeder. I haven't been to see the snake yet so I am not sure its what i will end up getting, but it's about the age I would like and I am defintely leaning towards a macca at the moment.

I have been reading a lot of information about different enclosures and sizes but I as wondering if anyone could give me some specifics about the size of tank I should be looking at for a 5monther? Is it considered a juvenile or a subadult and should I be looking at a lifetimer enclosure or something much smaller?

Any information about setting up heating and lighting would also be a lot of help. I have researched a lot about what you need to get the heat gradient ect right but I'm not sure how I'm going to get it to work in practise yet...

Thankyou :)

Don't settle for something that's okay, but doesn't really thrill you. Save the extra money or wait for the next season to get an animal you really want. Remember that snakes live 20 - 30 years and ugly ones cost just as much to feed and house.

VERY well said. SO SO true.
I was just typing that.. you beat me to it, not really ;)

I'm kinda wishing my baby WOULD bite so I could put a nice picture up on facebook :/
However she's the most placid little snake ever and the most she's ever done was headbutt me once when I poked her awake.
Although she's quite violent with her food....I don't know why she doesn't constrict, she prefers to bite the poor dead rat and bash its head in against the wall till she's sure it's "dead".

My Darwin used to do the same. Just warning shots, or as you said 'head buts!'

Last edited:
Hey Squidlinc,

I'd suggest looking at the how to make a click clack thread for your snake's enclosure. You're not going to need anything big for a while so you can do more research on the right vivarium and just use a click clack till your snake outgrows it. I have a 5 month old Stimson's python and he's quite content with his click clack and they're very easy to make.

So, your snake is spending lots and lots of time in its water. It isn't showing any signs of shedding and you're pretty sure it does not have mites. Why else would your snake spend lots of time in its water?

Are you sure there are no mites? Pop him in a white pillowcase overnight (advice by pythoninfinite) and see if you find any black specks on the pillowcase the next day. There are no black specks and nothing in the water when I soak him.

Does he have any retained skin on him that he is trying to get rid of? NO. Is your enclosure overheated? NO?

Check him thoroughly for ticks. Ticks can annoy them as much as mites can. I don't know that ticks are potentially dangerous to reptiles like they are to dogs and cats, but they are blood suckers and irritable. Your snake may be soaking, trying to relieve an irritation that you have not found. It pays to spend some closer attention to your snakes now and then, looking for raised scales, feeling for tiny bumps that shouldn't be there. Some ticks can be hard to see, and can be difficult to remove. As soon as you start harassing them the ticks may try to bury themselves deeper into the scales so have a pair of tweezers on hand so you can grasp those rotten suckers and get rid of them.

I've watched an intergrade of mine spend near two months in his water. I quarantined him, suspecting mites. Soaked him, sprayed him, fogged his tub and his enclosure. Are mites really that hard to see? They can be, especially on a dark snake but mites were not the problem. Today I took Jimmy out for some sunshine and after he warmed up I pulled him out to give him a really good close up going over. I was looking for mites, but pressing down on his skin as he slithered through my hands I felt some little bumps. The scales were raised at those bumps, and sure enough, tiny red looking ticks were there. I found three on him. He was very well behaved while I poked at him for so long but I couldn't feel or see anymore. So hopefully we found the reason why he was spending all his time in his water bowl. I never suspected ticks because he has not been anywhere to pick them up. So beats me how they found him, but they did.

Interested in buying a lizard or gecko, what is the easiest to look after?

Im from Adelaide, South Australia and this will be my first reptile. I am interested in a small reptile that will be easy for a beginner to care for. Furthermore, would preferably like a reptile (probably gecko) that doesnt require as much lighting as some reptiles.

Was considering leopard gecko but can find any (dont know if they are sold in Australia). Other gecko im considering is a barking gecko? An opinions or advice would be much apreciated.

Cheers

I have my new python since last Saturday and the breeder did advise to let her settle in for a week first before handling and then feeding so I was wondering is there signs when an animal has settled down?

HI every one.. I am completely new.... I have inherited a coastal python.. he is about 3 1/2 foot long.. yes I know he will end up about 25 ft Now.. general care.. I have basic ability.. yesterday I feed him for the first time.. now I was told not to feed for 3 weeks.. is this right.. what is the rule of thumb.. also.. Cleaning.. in enclosure.. every day or once every 3 days... also do they fart.. Yes I know these are and may a bit silly..

I have inherited a coastal python.. he is about 3 1/2 foot long.. yes I know he will end up about 25 ft

LOL no. A Coastal will not get anywhere near 25 ft. Try more like considerably less than half that !

yesterday I feed him for the first time.. now I was told not to feed for 3 weeks.. is this right..

You were probably given that advice to allow time for him to settle in. Or do you mean you were told to feed 3 weeks after the first feed ? Either way, 7-10 days is probably long enough between feeds, once per month for a 3.5' snake is probably a little less than what they are usually fed *in captivity*.

Cleaning.. in enclosure.. every day or once every 3 days...

I clean waste as soon as I see it, with a substrate change (a little bit of F10 disinfectant, etc.) every 4-6 weeks.

also do they fart.. Yes I know these are and may a bit silly..

Can't really help you with that one, sorry.

baby snakes do bite(as all snakes can, its what they do when scared- defend themselves) There is no such thing as a snake that doesnt bite..(i get asked alot..)
Obviously all snakes can bite, but I've had my MD since she was 2 months old & she's never even tried to bite anyone ever.

Help plz

:rolleyes:
THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY ALL ON ITS OWN .......the amount of people that query about their snakes being bitey, flighty and wonder if they should sell it on and get a placid quiet non biting snake ...if that is what you want and you want 100% NO BITE RISK ...BUY A RUBBER ONE!!!!!!!! ...if not ,accept it, before you buy a snake ..and with any luck ,as most find out ..their snakes do quieten down and become more easy to handle ..BUT some never do ..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back