Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terminology

Anyone know a good book or website to clear up some of the breeding terminology? T+, 100% HET etc. and perhaps a description/explanation of some of the morphs?

Try this, I got it from a Facebook site but believe it came from designer serpents web page originally.

Attachments

• Genetic Glossary.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 150
Can anyone help me with winter temps for a young diamond.

Sent from my SM-G130H using Tapatalk

QUESTIONS- no question is a stupid question. If you are new to keeping Reptiles then one of the best ways to learn is to ask those with the experience. We all start somewhere and I’ve seen a lot of people just wing it because they didn’t want to sound dumb asking questions. I started on this page 10+ years ago and some of the advice and tips given to me back then was invaluable.

Hello guys and gals.
I have a young diamond got him around 2 months ago and was told he was 6 months old and the breeder told me to keep him on small pinky rats for a couple of months he is around 50cm give or take a little. Should I up the food size for him? He eats the small pinkies not a problem.

Hatchling carpet pythons can take pinkie rats, yours could be on weaner mice or bigger

I was thinking something like that due to the fact from the time he strikes at the food to the time he has fully swallowed it is only a few minutes.

I was thinking something like that due to the fact from the time he strikes at the food to the time he has fully swallowed it is only a few minutes.
A feed should last 5-10minutes or 15minutes if your giving a fairly large feed

No worries, I will up his feed right away. Thanks for your help.

Hey everyone,

Quick questions i have recently got a Darwin carpet about 5 - 6 foot long.

On the bottom of his tank i have artifcial turf and it is really starting to smell.. I clean the tank out a 3-4 time a week and change the turf and wash the old one.. Am i better buying some Aspen snake bedding?

Also i have been feeding him one large rat a week as told by the old owner.. is this too frequent for him to be eating?

Thanks in advance

Yep my son uses the artificial turf as well and his enclosure stinks too. IMO Kritter Crumble or something similar is the way go, especially if you want the natural look. When they 'mess up' I just grab a freezer bag and take a big handful, getting as much of the 'wet' substrate as you can, quick spray of F10, and couple of handfuls of fresh substrate over the top. I never get any smell, and I just do a total change every 6 months. As for the feeding i'm no expert but bigger feeds less often seems to be generally the way to go. I feed my 5yo Bredli a large rat about every three weeks and people still tell me i'm overfeeding him.

Are there key signs that your hatchie has settled in? Some people I have spoken to have talked about them not feeding while settleing in to their new home. Her last feed she had was 7 days ago according to the breeder. And I don’t want to force trying to feed her everyday and stress her out. Any tips about settling in or initial feeding would be great! Thanks in advance

Not really a newbie, my Spotted has been with me for 9 years now, but since I'm about to add a new animal (a Centralian) to my collection, as soon as my new license card arrives *grumbles and mutters and swears at Australia Post*, have a few things I'm not sure of and figure it can't hurt to ask of people with more experience.

In terms of lighting; Fluro tube, fluro bulb or LEDs?
Climbing; dowelling or branches? If the latter what's a good source?

When keeping snakes in tubs use a soldering iron to create your air holes, drilled holes work but leave sharp edges. Your snake will look for escape routes and it’s not uncommon for them to try corkscrewing themselves through small holes
[doublepost=1557531347,1557102174][/doublepost]Ryan I’d say feed ur snake now, it’ll probably settle faster if in knows the new place has food.i feed mine the same day or next day, some take it some don’t. If they don’t, give it a few days then try again
[doublepost=1557531772][/doublepost]
Not really a newbie, my Spotted has been with me for 9 years now, but since I'm about to add a new animal (a Centralian) to my collection, as soon as my new license card arrives *grumbles and mutters and swears at Australia Post*, have a few things I'm not sure of and figure it can't hurt to ask of people with more experience.

In terms of lighting; Fluro tube, fluro bulb or LEDs?
Climbing; dowelling or branches? If the latter what's a good source?
KnightMiner branches are readily available, but make sure it’s solid( no wood rot etc) I boil mine( to kill anything living in it) for a couple of hrs let it dry spray it down with F10, leave it for 5 or 10 minutes give it a rinse, let it dry again & ur good to go. Probably wouldn’t use anything sappy or strong smelling

Great thread with alot of good advice and experience. As a newbie i will be soaking all of this up before i get "Omen" a jungle being gifted to me and my partner

Hi,
definitely a newbie here. I'm looking at buying a Carpet jungle python. But obviously I want to do some research before I jump into anything. The thing is I hate researching online. Searching for information, verifying it, etc, etc.

Are there any good books that I can read that covers all the basics of raising and caring for pythons, enclosures, feeding, etc. I want to make sure I have a good basic understanding and be prepared but I don't want to troll through hundreds of forum posts or work may way through hundreds of websites which might not even be accurate.

I'd really appreciate the help.

Hi,
definitely a newbie here. I'm looking at buying a Carpet jungle python. But obviously I want to do some research before I jump into anything. The thing is I hate researching online. Searching for information, verifying it, etc, etc.

Are there any good books that I can read that covers all the basics of raising and caring for pythons, enclosures, feeding, etc. I want to make sure I have a good basic understanding and be prepared but I don't want to troll through hundreds of forum posts or work may way through hundreds of websites which might not even be accurate.

I'd really appreciate the help.
'Keeping and breeding Australian pythons edited by Mike Swan' is a great book as it covers the basic care of pretty much all Australian pythons. It's full of great info and I highly recommend it ;)

Latest posts

Back