To all the Gecko keepers...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namn8r

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Do you actually ever see your geckoes during the day or are they always in their hides?

Wouldnt they be boring or do you view them with moonlights?

Cheers

nam

Im at work during the day while they are resting & enjoy watching them of an afternoon/evening / night - Far from boring ,.
(no more boring then watching a snake curled up on a stick :) )

Lol so do they still come out when the lights are still on or do you sit in the dark and watch them Kelly?

well I dont have lights in their enclosures, I just have the room light on which is enough to view them

As gecko said I'm at school during the day so it doesn't bother me:). Also you should see them hunt then you would understand why we keep them:)

I use a heating dome over my enclosure and have aboreal geckos, so they climb up walls and stuff to heat up. Sometimes they hide in a log so I don't see them, but I also use a gecko cave, so I can peak in on them. Most times I see them running round after the sun goes down. I still have some natural light in their room so I can just see in the enclosure, but not enough to scare then. But most times I can walk in after dark (when it's black) and they will be stuck to the front glass doors, I can turn on a small light and if I sit still enough they will stay out for me.

I also think that cos I don't see them as often as my beardies or frogs for example then it's more special when I do see them. I can also notice any changes that go on.

Depends on the species, My Dtellas, Bynoes and Leaf tails will all sleep in the open most of the time while my Thick tails and Oeduras dont ( iv seen a couple of my Oeduras do it once or twice)

Thanks for the replies guys, was looking into them but I think I prefer diuranal species that run around in the day light so I can watch them lol

My Clone Geckoes are quite diurnal, I assume it's the same with all of the Bynoe's group. If you want active diurnal lizards though, go for a small monitor or skink.

If I feed northern spiny tailed geckos during the day the mature ones are readily show off their hunting skills. It seems they "unlearn" the danger of being out during daylight.

When the are not being fed they will often bask directly under a spot light, particularly the female in the later stages of gravidity.

my spiny tails hide on the branches all day and my clone geckos are active 24/7, although my oeduras hide nearly all day

None of my geckos seem to hide much during the day. My Golden Tails and Spiny Tails usually sleep on the front glass of their enclosures and my Thick Tails are always in the open.

It probably wouldn't bother me much if they hid during the day as my other lizards are awake then and I am at work in the day time anyway.

my clone geckos are active during the day. i also use a small heat light, that way it's warmest on top of the hide, not in it. amazing hunters.

My geckoes are very interesting as they come out right on sundown and cruise around hunting for insects..the thickies hunt in packs and round up the insects ... they caudal lure and that's really cute
Geckoes ae never boring :)

i have thicktails i pretty much never see them unless i shine a light near the tank at night, the pair of hypos are always hidden till its dark but the other female will often come out just before the sun goes down she is the one that i usually see feed on the crickets.

All my Nephrurus hide all day but my Oedura and Strophurus species are usually out 24/7

if you still want heating but dont want to use a light then use a heat mat.

I sat out for ages last night watching my marbled velvets, was awesome!! They knew i was there, but the food was out, and so were they. I had a small light on and they didn't seem to worry too much, as long as I sat still they went about their business hunting crickets.

its strange watching them hunt some will wait for the food to get right to them befor lunging at it other will creep up whatch hoe the move there toes it odd thay like peel them of the sueface realslow when hunting as for them comming out during the day if i spray my enclosuer thay will come for a drink and i often see them on the wall or the roof sleeping some times if you lift there hides during the day you will see them all curled up together its odd as there not cold were i am it reaches well in to the 30s some will sit in there water dish if it to hot for them geckos are very intresting to watch wether it be during the day or at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back