To Breed or Not to Breed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Colbert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody, over the years I have kept a number of different pythons and from the age of 7 to now 47 enjoyed just keeping individual python's.

I've entertained the idea of breeding but now I am thinking seriously of going down that road.

Is there money in breeding pythons or is it for most a labour of love.

What are the pros and cons

I really would appreciate all your advice

Depends what you’re breeding.

Anyone who tells you there’s no money to be made is gatekeeping. If you’re breeding standard carpet pythons, you’re looking at anywhere from 75-300$ each for hatchlings.

I won’t say you should do it for money. That mentality will affect the care and quality of your animals, and you should do it because you enjoy it.

Pros:
- learning experience
- time flies when you’re looking after so many snakes
- it’s a good side hustle if your hearts in it

Cons:
- dealing with people
- it’s a harsh reality hit when a whole batch of babies died because nature willed it
- it can be expensive and a long wait to start breeding animals (incubator, rack, food, breeding pairs(if you’re smart you’ll buy proven breeders)
- it’s hard work

Similar to Herpetology, you should do it because you love it unless you have something spectacular. Personally I love the whole process, the mating ,the incubation, the hatching, the tiny little things meeting the earth. I just love the babies.Teaching them to eat etc.
One of the things I get off on is the smile on some kids face when they meet their new friend.
I don't do it for the money because I don't make money. If this was a business I would get a tax refund every year, I have spent way more money than I ever get back.
I have been breeding many species of dragon for years and this year is my first for pythons so I'm still learning

Depends what you’re breeding.

Anyone who tells you there’s no money to be made is gatekeeping. If you’re breeding standard carpet pythons, you’re looking at anywhere from 75-300$ each for hatchlings.

I won’t say you should do it for money. That mentality will affect the care and quality of your animals, and you should do it because you enjoy it.

Pros:
- learning experience
- time flies when you’re looking after so many snakes
- it’s a good side hustle if your hearts in it

Cons:
- dealing with people
- it’s a harsh reality hit when a whole batch of babies died because nature willed it
- it can be expensive and a long wait to start breeding animals (incubator, rack, food, breeding pairs(if you’re smart you’ll buy proven breeders)
- it’s hard work
Wow I really appreciate your reply and awesome knowledge base. I have alot to think about but thank you for your help and support

Similar to Herpetology, you should do it because you love it unless you have something spectacular. Personally I love the whole process, the mating ,the incubation, the hatching, the tiny little things meeting the earth. I just love the babies.Teaching them to eat etc.
One of the things I get off on is the smile on some kids face when they meet their new friend.
I don't do it for the money because I don't make money. If this was a business I would get a tax refund every year, I have spent way more money than I ever get back.
I have been breeding many species of dragon for years and this year is my first for pythons so I'm still learning
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and offer your wisdom. Your knowledge base has really helped me with making the right choices with breeding

Latest posts

Back