"To powder or not to powder?"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar_Psycho

Reaction score
When I first got my 2 juvi Eastern Water Dragons a few months back, I was told by the breeder that calcium powder was not essential for them and that it sometimes causes problems (I was new with lizard information then, and you could have told me anything and I would have believed it). Can it do any harm to give them insects covered with powder? What type of powder and brand is good for Eastern Water Dragons? Normally I`d consult a reference text or ask my local group, but being in another country sort of prevents that from happening (lol), and I lost my patience a long time ago with Internet searches (its amazing what results youll get sometimes for the most presise searches).
Any info would be appreciated greatly.

Jay

Calcium powder is a must for hatchlings as they grow quicker in captivity than the wild, cuasing MBD metabolic bone desease causing weak bome structure and deformaties,dusting insect 3 times a week no more as large amounts of D3 can accumulate,which mis added to all calcium sold in pet shops to help break down the calcium,
if you can get pure calium this is advise then the sun or UV light will break it down.

i did have 2 bearded dragons, but i didnt think the calcium was important. i used to put it on their veggies and only the boy ate it. the girl died from calcium deficiency. i have start putting it on crickets for the male and hae is growing faster.

do you put both (calcium and phosphorus powders) in a bag with the insects together, or do you alternate between the two with feedings?

Jay

i use ultimate calcium ph free and ultimate multi vitamins from ultimate reptiles and use these products twice a week .....

i forgot to mention i use these for my shingles, blueys, central beardies,jacky dragons and eastern water dragons.....

Thanks for the help. Just wish I was in Australia to start them on the stuff myself. :cry: .Apparently my jungle pythons been through a huge growth spurt too, and about to shed again. I`m worried I won`t recognise her when I get back.lol.

Jay

I use the rep cal every second-third day and the vitamins once a week... I just dust the crickets and woodies cause I know they will get eaten straight away where it is a waste putting it on the veggies cause they dont eat all that much of them!!!

Another red wine africa............ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back