Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my parents refused to let me own a snake or a dog of my own.
As soon as I left home, I got my dog. But snake had to wait another 30 or so years because my husband totally refused.

My daughter had what she wanted provided that SHE care for her animal and SHE paid for food, etc.

Annoying your parents will only get them to dig their heels in - us parents can be stubborn like that at times.

Hi guys i really want to get a snake or python and have been reading up on a few im thinking either spotted or childrens, but i have a few questions first whats easier to keep? Which is better to keep? And whta will be better for a first time python keeper? And one finale question before anyone answers any of those is how do you convince youre parents to let you have a snake? I have lizards and used to have turtles they just seem not to like snakes is there any advice on convincing them to let you get one?
Anyway if you have this much thanks for letting me take youre time away to ask you these questions
And thanks in advance

Hi BDkeeper, you havent put how old you are (which would help) you have to understand that its not your house and if yourdad has a phobia it may never happen. Great ways to convince parents are by showing responsibility if you are over 14 sit down with both parents and discuss getting a part time job, then in return if you keep it for 3months they reconsider you getting the python. This shows commitment, allows you to put towards the pet financially and also looks great on a resume. If you already have a job then start saving and better to ask forgivness.

Hi BDkeeper, you havent put how old you are (which would help) you have to understand that its not your house and if yourdad has a phobia it may never happen. Great ways to convince parents are by showing responsibility if you are over 14 sit down with both parents and discuss getting a part time job, then in return if you keep it for 3months they reconsider you getting the python. This shows commitment, allows you to put towards the pet financially and also looks great on a resume. If you already have a job then start saving and better to ask forgivness.

Im 15 and have had a part time job for around 8 months now. I know it may never happen but i cant just give up now, not after all the research i have done. And yeah ill go with forgiveness if it comes dow to it in march ill go for forgiveness at the reptile expo

Don't know anyone with an adult diamond but when the pets shops get reptiles In I'll see if I can get my mum to handle one of the adult snakes just as long as it's not a jungle or something like that

Don't be so quick to stereotype jungles. My jungle has never ever bitten anyone. He's such a sweetie. Diamonds can be snappy as well but overall are some of the most docile.

Just give her a scrubby, they're pretty quiet.

thought you were, just wasnt sure, dont really know too much about scrubs. beautiful snakes but id never own one. id love to get an olive!

Scrubs are big, strong, fast, mean (the nice ones are the ones you really got to be careful of ;) ), they also enjoy peeing everywhere when you touch them.

just be happy with lizards while you are at home and when you move out you can buy a snake --"if you can still afford it now that you are paying for everything "!!!!

I waited until I was 40 and our daughter asked for a snake -- with the instant yes as long as you learn to READ and study the snake care books . we now have five snakes and our first stimsons are hatching as I type

I am happy with my lizards i just wish to expand my 'pet range' ( don't like calling it a collecting sounds like i keep them in really bad condition)

Hi mate, my daughter first bought her spotteds at the age of 14 and bred them 3 yrs later. She paid $450 for the pair, and 3 yrs later the female laid 9 eggs and all hatched and she sold them off for $100 ea. They breed every year and even though she now has moved out and I am looking after them and breeding them for her this year (due to lay tomorrow), they can be a good little money spinner for a young kid and teach them that a bit of hard work does pay off in time.

Forgot to mention maximum sizes... Spotted 105 cm;

Hmmm, someone should tell her pair that they are too long!

About convincing them:
When I was 6 I first asked for a snake, mum said no because she has a phobia (still does!). When i turned 11, i began to NAG LIKE HELL but that got me nowhere. Then, 7 years after the first time asking, we went to the pet shop and a baby Stimmie was for sale! I fell in love immediately, and while mum was looking at dog coats i got the manager to get the snake out and let me hold it... I walked up to mum, said hi. She turned around to say 'hi' back but squealed when she saw the snake (as mentioned, phobia 101). I begged her to let me buy it, and she said no, AGAIN! So, instead of pressuring it, we went home. Without mum knowing, I made a full blown brochure on stimmies. I found all the details about a Vic Reptile license, got my teacher to sign it, and 3 months later presented the whole lot to my parents. Mum came up with about 40 arguements against a snake, but i had a comeback for all of them. Mum reluctantly agreed and a few weeks later (once my license came back) we bought a tank online and visited the same shop to get a the stimmie, who was still there (a bit bigger tho :] ). I really love my stimmie, although my mum still has her phobia. He bit her 2 days after bringing him home, because mum held a mouse and then tried to pick him up with mouse scent on her (smart move :p ). I now have my snake and as long as he stays in my room, study or neck at all times he's fine. I will say though snakes are BAD if you want to go away and nobody has the guts to feed them :p

Well if there is ever a bullet proof snake species , it has to be the spotted. My daughters female just laid a perfect 12 eggs, all fertile. But this snake has NOT eaten since early dec last year. She is perfectly healthy!!

Hi guys i really want to get a snake or python and have been reading up on a few im thinking either spotted or childrens, but i have a few questions first whats easier to keep? Which is better to keep? And whta will be better for a first time python keeper? And one finale question before anyone answers any of those is how do you convince youre parents to let you have a snake? I have lizards and used to have turtles they just seem not to like snakes is there any advice on convincing them to let you get one?
Anyway if you have this much thanks for letting me take youre time away to ask you these questions
And thanks in advance

Ok, easiest way to get your parents to crack and give in is to work on the hardest parent, usually mum... Take her to a few reptile expos, she'll get to see a few of the cutest little, cuddly, non threatening little snakey snakes ever... Point out prices, clutch sizes etc and ask the right questions of the breeders in front of her, how easy they are to look after, cost to feed weekly etc... Adults understand $$$$... Then talk about the snakes you saw and ask her which one she liked the most out of all of them... She'll actually surprise herself when she recalls the pretty little spotted python, or that high yellow diamond etc... Point out that they don't grow too big, don't cost much to feed, and once they breed, you can make a little $$$ back... I did that with my mum and it worked a treat.... Once the hard parent is starting to crack, send in the soft parent to finish the job....

Ok, easiest way to get your parents to crack and give in is to work on the hardest parent, usually mum... Take her to a few reptile expos, she'll get to see a few of the cutest little, cuddly, non threatening little snakey snakes ever... Point out prices, clutch sizes etc and ask the right questions of the breeders in front of her, how easy they are to look after, cost to feed weekly etc... Adults understand $$$$... Then talk about the snakes you saw and ask her which one she liked the most out of all of them... She'll actually surprise herself when she recalls the pretty little spotted python, or that high yellow diamond etc... Point out that they don't grow too big, don't cost much to feed, and once they breed, you can make a little $$$ back... I did that with my mum and it worked a treat.... Once the hard parent is starting to crack, send in the soft parent to finish the job....

I think that you may not have read the whole thread... I don't blame you, it's fairly long, but if/when you do it should highlight why your suggestions wouldn't work in this particular situation.

I still think he should let his dad know he is being a wimp and making his child suffer because of his fears. The kid already said he keeps other animals and so I don't think they doubt if he is responisble enough. Its his dads fear and that alone that is holding this poor kid back.

Maybe sprinkle a tiny bit of cement in dads salad when he isn't looking.

I agree, Newhere. As stated previously I find my parents to be rational, logical people - except when it comes to snakes. They were happy for me to get a lace monitor for goodness sake! They just refuse to consider snakes, period.

My parents absolutely hated and were terrified of snakes. And they wouldn't come near mine for At least 8 months. Over time they became more interested and now to this day my dad will hold any one of my snakes and ask to feed them and my mum will only hold my 8 month old jungle python (only when she's feeling brave of course) but I think they became comfortable with them because I didn't push them to like them.

Maybe if you get your parents to go with you to a reptile park or introduce them to other people (over time of course) that have snakes their outlooks might slowly change.

If had it my way again I would have bought a diamond for my first python the best pythons I have in my collection, great temperament awesome colors. I find children's and spotteds snappy as they grow bigger

i still dont understand this need people have to 'force' others to accept their way of things? your parents have said NO and while under their roof you should respect their wishes and their rules, if you dont like it then move out and if your not old enough yet then wait till you are

how would you feel if your parents 'forced' you to do something against your wishes? be a totally different matter then i bet

and if you go ahead and get one against your parents wishes then it is very disrespectful to them, if you wanted to be treated with respect that has to be 'earnt' not just given

this 'me' attitude is annoying and i dont mean just you but others like you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back