Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
Hi, for those of you interested in turtles below is a photo of a few different species of turtle's eggs showing size comparison and also how a fertile egg 'bands' up starting with a small white spot in the middle of the egg which spreads outwards towards the sides and ends of the egg. This only happens in fertile, viable eggs.
The species from left to right are Broadshelled turtle (Macrochelodina expansa), Saw-shelled turtle (Elseya latisternum), Kreffts turtle (Emydura macquarii kreffti), Mary River turtle (Elusor macrurus), Eastern snake-neck (Chelodina longicollis), and Fitzroy river turtle or White-eyed river diver (Rheodytes leukops).

Expansa1

Thats awesome!! thanks for sharing the knowledge and the pic!!

How many of each have you got incubating?

Cheers, Alan.

Hi Alan,
So far I've got 81 Saw-shell eggs, 118 Kreffts eggs, 20 Rheodytes eggs, 10 Mary river turtle eggs, 15 Broadshelled turtle eggs, 16 Eastern snake-necks and they're still laying. Am expecting Murray river turtle eggs and more Eastern-snake necks, usually around 60 of each are laid each season.
expansa1

That's a great pic, thanks for that craig :) That's a huge stock for your incubators!!! I saw a large (25-30cm) female Murray river turtle the other day, basking on the lawn in a park in Wagga. perhaps she was gravid, if they haven't layed yet? Congrats on what looks like a great season :D

p.s. - my little guys are doing great, cheers :)

Likewise, mine are doin great too Craig, congrats on another bumper year. Thanks for egg pics, very cool. :lol:

Amazing photo! I didn't know turtle eggs did that crazy banding thing. The only turtle eggs I've incubated have been Chelodina longicollis, mine didn't do that, which seems strange. I notice that the one long neck egg in your photo is all white, are these any different? Or is it most likely that I just didn't pay enough attention to mine? I did notice really big differences in incubation time and hatchling colour depending on incubation temperatures, have you seen the same?

What a quantity of turtles you're producing!!! :shock: good work!!!

FWOARRRRRR, now thats alot of eggs!!! Good luck with them all mate!

Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

jimmy_the_kid said:
jesus h crist sum1s gunna have a bit of crissy money how many turtles besides ur hatchies do u have in total expansa1
G'day Jimmy,
We have 157 adult turtles, 11 species and 2 sub-species.
expansa1

RE: Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

jesus h crist again lol u really like ur turtles dont u how old is ur oldest turtle just wondering as i know turtles can get really old

hey_im_sam said:
That's a great pic, thanks for that craig :) That's a huge stock for your incubators!!! I saw a large (25-30cm) female Murray river turtle the other day, basking on the lawn in a park in Wagga. perhaps she was gravid, if they haven't layed yet? Congrats on what looks like a great season :D

p.s. - my little guys are doing great, cheers :)

Thanks Sam, glad to hear they're doing well! :D We really miss them!
expansa1

instar said:
Likewise, mine are doin great too Craig, congrats on another bumper year. Thanks for egg pics, very cool. :lol:

Hey Inny! What species do you have at the moment?
expansa1

Sdaji said:
Amazing photo! I didn't know turtle eggs did that crazy banding thing. The only turtle eggs I've incubated have been Chelodina longicollis, mine didn't do that, which seems strange. I notice that the one long neck egg in your photo is all white, are these any different? Or is it most likely that I just didn't pay enough attention to mine? I did notice really big differences in incubation time and hatchling colour depending on incubation temperatures, have you seen the same?

What a quantity of turtles you're producing!!! :shock: good work!!!

Hi Sdaji,
Even the Eastern snake-necks are laid a kind of opaque pinkish colour and go throught the whole banding process. It usually only takes a week or so once it starts. Incubation temps do play a part in incubation time. Eastern snake necks usually take around 120 days to incubate but one year we got them out in 63. We've hatched one colour morph Eastern snake neck over the years but there are colour variations in all clutches even at the same temperature. One year I experimented with temps and produced 3 sets of twins(2 turtles in the same egg).
Expansa1

Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

jimmy_the_kid said:
jesus h crist again lol u really like ur turtles dont u how old is ur oldest turtle just wondering as i know turtles can get really old

We've got one giant Northern snapping turtle estimated to be around the 80 - 90 years old. Most of them I've had since I was 8 -10 which would make them around 11-13. Only joking, I'm much older than that! Put it this way, if I was the 5th member of the Spice girls my name would be 'Old Spice' :lol:
Expansa1

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

Since you were 8 or 10, Jeez Craig, I didnt think anything much would live that long. :wink:
it must feel pretty good to have some of those reproducing. Must make the move worth while as well. How long before you start selling Rheodytes get to the open market?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

peterescue said:
How long before you start selling Rheodytes get to the open market?

He already does for $250 ea if I'm correct.

expansa1 said:
instar said:

Hey Inny! What species do you have at the moment?
expansa1

Hi Craig, Longicollis and maquarii maquarii, both your offspring! bought about 20mm carapace size from your old place in sydney. Now about 150mm carapace length, 2 years old. They each sat on a 10 ct peice when I bought them, with space around the edge! I hope they outlive me. :wink:

peterescue said:
Since you were 8 or 10, Jeez Craig, I didnt think anything much would live that long. :wink:
it must feel pretty good to have some of those reproducing. Must make the move worth while as well. How long before you start selling Rheodytes get to the open market?

As soon as some hatch! would be good for the species to be out there with dedicated owners but better in the hands of experienced turtle keepers as the hatchies will be a bit of a learning curve for me and those who buy them. Can't foresee any problem though as they are really hardy. They really thrive in Alkaline water between pH8.0 and pH9.1
Expansa1

Dicco said:
peterescue said:
How long before you start selling Rheodytes get to the open market?

He already does for $250 ea if I'm correct.

Hi Dicco,
I have never sold any Rheo's and I don't think I even mentioned a price. I could be wrong though, about the mentioning of the price, not the sale of the Rheo's.
Expansa1

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Turtle egg comparison

interesting thread expansa thanks for sharing that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back