Turtle ponds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwood

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new property with a nice pond that they used for frogs and was wondering if i would be able to put a turtle in it. It’s fairly big with already established pond plants and rock ledges. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on if i could do this. For weather reference it is in the rural melbourne (Mansfield).

Do you have any pictures of it?

The climate in that region looks like it would fit Eastern long neck turtles and probably murray river turtles. But I'm no expert, the turtle expert here is flaviemys purvisi :)

Hi there, would need some pics of the pond and its dimension details, especially depth.
Cheers.

I currently am not at the property but would be able to get pictures on the weekend. However from my memory it is around half a metre deep and 2ft wide. I’m happy to spend a while making modifications to better suit them as i do have the space to increase it’s size.

I currently am not at the property but would be able to get pictures on the weekend. However from my memory it is around half a metre deep and 2ft wide. I’m happy to spend a while making modifications to better suit them as i do have the space to increase it’s size.
OK cool. The absolute shallowest point should be no less than 0.9m (90cm), it should be at least 1.5m wide by 2.5m long.

Ok thank you! Do i need to provide a rock or something similar in the middle for it to rest on? And with feeding what works best for turtles in ponds!

Ok thank you! Do i need to provide a rock or something similar in the middle for it to rest on? And with feeding what works best for turtles in ponds!
A half submerged log will do nicely. Natural foods work best. Live crays, shrimps, fish and plants depending on species.

Thank you! What type of filter do you recommend for the pond? I’m aware the regular fish filters aren’t strong enough so would i just buy a regular pond filter or do they need something more specific. I was also wondering what substrate along the bottom and edges of the pond would be best for them and where to buy these!

Thank you! What type of filter do you recommend for the pond? I’m aware the regular fish filters aren’t strong enough so would i just buy a regular pond filter or do they need something more specific. I was also wondering what substrate along the bottom and edges of the pond would be best for them and where to buy these!
A planted bog filter would be best. Natural river sand mixed with calgrit 2:1 is the best substrate. Sand can be sourced from a local landscape supplier and the calgrit either online or local produce store.

Back