Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krizzy31

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to start a turlte set up. One shop had advised me that you needed to heat the water, and another one said cold is fine?? Also is it safe to keep fish with the turtles, and possibly frogs? Any one have any pics of their set ups so i can get an idea.

Thanks

no heated water needed and i believe fish and frogs are fine to keep with them
any further help let me no

kara

Water should be around 26. I wouldnt advise keeping frogs with them (probably get eaten by the turts) fish are fine but dont get expensive ones just in case they decide to have a chomp. Is this an indoor or out door setup? I have pics in my album of my outdoor pond.

Depending on what species you get, most shortnecks and the long neck prefer around 25degrees. i know warrells turtles, northern yellow faced turtles and those tropical turtles like it around 28degrees. I would not advise frogs, as the turtles will just eat them if they can. You can have fish in with them succesfully, but something small like whiteclouds and blue eyes, something small enough not to annoy the turtles. Be aware though anything the turtles can catch they will eat, even large goldfish. They need a place to be able to come fully out the water to bask on like a turtle dock (built in, or a floating type). They also NEED UV light, either natural or artificial. Artificial is best i think due to real sunlight causes algae problems. A middle strength Uv tube/globe would suit well. They need a good filter to keep the water clean as remember they do all their business in it. Overall though, they are a cute, fascinating, generally easy to care for pet. Hope this helps!

Hi,
it will be an indoor setup, i have a 1400mm tank, so im getting a dock made to fit. im in melb, so will that be fine in cold water?
Thanks

I'd heat the water to about 25 degrees. Especially over winter because baby turts are too small to hibernate.

I'd heat the water to about 25 degrees. Especially over winter because baby turts are too small to hibernate.

Sorry I'm new to this, but in the wild baby turtles survive winter. So why do captive bred ones need heating to survive?

In the wild there is a huge mortality rate for young turtles, for whatever reason, does that also mean you would be happy to allow your young turtle to die...because that's how it is in the wild?

what size is a baby. In vic we have to get one with at least 10cm shellm circumfrence.

yup, heating in captivity for young herps is to keep them alive as naturally alot die in their first winter, i dont heat my turtles as they are all local, if they are local to your area i wouldnt bother heating but if they are a more tropical species such as chelodina rugosa, emydura australis, emydura subglobosa, emydura tanybaraga or emydura victoriae then in most cases heating would be required but seeing as the most commonly kept scpecies are the eastern long-neck and murray river turtle heating is normally not required, most fish are fine with turtles as long as they are not agressive but if they are to small they may become a meal

Hi,

I'm looking to start a turlte set up. One shop had advised me that you needed to heat the water, and another one said cold is fine?? Also is it safe to keep fish with the turtles, and possibly frogs? Any one have any pics of their set ups so i can get an idea.

Thanks

IMO you should heat their water and should also have a basking site with UVB lighting. As advised above read Craig's care sheet he knows what he is talking about and it is very detailed.

When they get bigger and are in their pond you shouldnt need to hewat if they get enough sun and occur naturally in the area.

It is possible to keep fish with turtles but you need to know what you are doing, i have already typed out about 1000 words or more about it in other threads but still you really need to understand the animals you are mixing together. Also avoid venomous fish.

It is also illegal in most states to feed turtles live feeder fish.

Frogs and turtles together is a bad idea, it would be possible but turtles do eat frogs and can tear up things that are to large to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back