Two Stimson's in One enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenr1975

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have a 4 foot enclosure and was wondering if two adult Stimson's could live in it. It would be a male and a female.

I only have the one male at the moment and its a few months before I would be looking for a breeding partner for him.

I am using a the tile and heat cord system for heat. I have plenty of heat cord spare and could add a second tile and hide next to the first using the same cord. This would still be in on 1/3 of the enclosure.

Would it be too cramped for two?

No problem if it is, I will just look for another enclosure.

Cheers

Glen

Best not to house them together. One day you could end up with one snake down, also, quarantine is an issue, they need to be in separate rooms for atleast 6months. Feeding becomes hard too, food aggression will become a factor.

6 months quarantine i think is a bit over the top what would last 6 months with out being noticed in the first couple? with a 4 foot tank you could put them together but there is a TINY chance that ones eggs will become to big for their tummy and chop of their friend. also breeding isn't as good if they are together all year. (so I've read...)

It doesn't matter where you ask, you will have some saying don't do it and some that say it doesn't matter. I say it's up to you mate.

I plan to put 2 Stimsons together. Iv also got a 4ft enclosure with an 8 month old and currently looking for a lady for him.

It will be OK to keep them together if they are adults & very close in size, otherwise not. Many breeders keep stimson's paired all year with no problems and regular breeding success, but you will have to ensure that you feed them separately or you'll have a problem.

With regard to quarantine, the actual recommendation for snakes is at least 12 months if you want to reasonably sure there is no chance of one of the nasty viral diseases such as IBD or OPMV entering your collection. I would be obtaining a suitable partner for your snake asap and quarantine very carefully for at least 6 months.

Don't allow juvenules to share accommodation - they have bigger appetites than adults, and grow at different rates - cannibalism isn't uncommon with Antaresias...

Jamie

6 months may be over the top, but I remember when people used to say 12 months minimum. From past experiences, 6 months doesn't guarantee a healthy snake. You may see mites or other baddies, but it can take longer to get rid of them.

At 8 months old, your Stimmie won't be able to breed for atleast 1 more year. It's up to you whether or not house them together, but it can be a risk.

In the wild, most pythons will eat other pythons, and they are a solitary animal.

Though, people do keep pythons together, and to be honest, I keep a pair of pythons together, not my choice of housing, just that the breeder which I got them off was housing them together for years, and had no problems. I do plan to separate them soon though.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will get a separate enclosure just to be safe. :)

I keep a pair of adult stimi's together. Have for nearly 3 years. I separate for feeding, which is a must. Don't want them trying to eat the same mouse etc. I often find them in the same hides, despite haveing plenty of hides for them. I think they either like the heat from each other after basking or the tight fit they get from two of them in there.

What Pythoninfinite said except to add that you don't necessarily need to seperate them from the cage at feeding time provided you keep a close watch at chow time, feed in seperate corners of the cage and be prepared to pull them apart if they go for the same item etc. I house up to 6 Stimsons in one cage and do sometimes have to do quick unentanglements).

Oh ok, well that doesn't sound so bad. I might try them together but have a backup large tub setup just in case they have issues. Thanks for the advice all :)

I house a pair of diamonds together. They have lived together since I got them (they were only a few months old) they are always curled up together and I have never witnessed any signs of aggression.

Just make sure if you do house them together that you feed them separately. I feed mine in their own feeding tubs separate from each other and their enclosure.

we put our stimsons together in august sid -3 nancy 2, they became instant friends at first i removed both to feed in seperate tubs ,then just him but now i feed them in seperate corners . we have a 6ft enclosure to move up to but they seem to spend all the time within 6 inches of each other so it may not be necessary , but probably will any way . we quarantined for 6months then put nancy in the enclosure in her click clak for 1 month so they could smell and see each other . so far so good !!!

We keep a couple of Bredli's together, and they seem as happy as a pig in ****. Ren and Stympie are often huddled together in a corner of the enclosure or chasing each other at night. Feed them in seperate corner though as one is a bit slow at woofing its food down.
Caught them having a stareing contest the other day.
031.jpg

It's ultimately up to you but if you decide to put both in (I've know a few mates who have successfully house two of the following together: Stimmies, spotteds, Bredli, woma, waters and MDs). Just keep a very close eye on them and feed them separately, outside the enclosure. Hopefully no one will get territorial and no arguments will happen over food. But yeah, just be careful.

Last edited:
when i picked up my stimmie hatchie in May i met her parents, older sister and older brother...the guy i got Keiko off of housed the 4 of them beautifully in about a 4ft enclosure, none had injuries and Keiko was from a maternally incubated clutch.

i had a chance to handle her mother and Keiko has the same attitude, calm, relaxed, taking life in her stride...until food becomes invovled then shes unstoppable. so there may be a period of time where they just want to get away from each other and have their own space....you'll work it out..

so whats the chances of them eating 1 anther and how could you reduce it so like be for i do the same its ok to house them together all year round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back