UFO sightings & enthusiasts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slim6y, Open mindedness is the ability to entertain BOTH possibilities. I believe that we are not alone in the universe but I also know that what happened here was a 1 in a billion piece of good fortune that we struggle to re-create in a lab. My attitude would be open minded due to being open to the possibility we are alone.

Longirostris, Von Danikens theories have yet to be disproven. Others have counter theories but noone has absolutely dis proven his theories. Take the Piri Reis map of the land mass of Antarctica, found by Admiral Piri Reis in the 17 or 1800s, showing the actual land mass, under the ice, of Antarctica. It has never been free of ice since before the caveman but here is a map accurately showing the coastline that we, today, can only prove accurate with radar, depth sounding and satellite imaging. How, when and who debunked this theory from Chariots? I'd love to here that one. I have read about 20 out of 30 or so of his books and I don't agree with all his theories but most are almost impossible to disprove. I could give you 100 examples off the top of my head now that have yet to be disproved.

What makes you think they are von Danikens theories. The flying saucer connection with the pyramids and other unusual objects from antiquity was around long before von Daniken jumped on the bandwagon.There were many others before him talking about the possible connection between unexplained phenomena and extraterrestrial visitors. Thats one of the reasons he was discredited, he was plagiarisng and ripping off everybody else's work and thoughts on unexplained phenomena. Andrew Tomas is one I can think of whose book "We are not the first" was released before von Danikens efforts. No doubt then, you read about his discovery of hundreds of miles of underground caverns and tunnels in central and south america. Trouble is they don't exist and never did. Eric would have been a good sub editor for a British tabloid. Give them what they want who cares about the truth.

I am not trying to "debunk" the Piri Reis map collection. The maps you are referring to are actually copies of even older maps. There is a point of view from some authors that some of the great maritime explorers like Columbus, Magellen, de Gama and others from this period actually had access to some of the maps that are in the Piri Reis collection and that the maps they had and used were copies of even older maps. There is even a map in the Piri Reis collection showing the profile of the coastlines and seas around the Mediterranean that matches a map made by US cartographers. The interesting thing is that the only way the cartographers could produce the map was by using satellite technology to take a photo from a point 100 miles above Cairo.

Does that mean that Admiral Piri Reis or the original drafters of the maps had access to satellite technology? I think not. Do I have an explanation for it, no I don't. Thats why this sort of stuff gets lumped into unexplained phenomena. Unfortunately it then becomes cannon fodder for the "ET was here" lobby.

It's funny because I used to eat this stuff up (read everything I could get) myself 30 years ago. Loved it, believed it, was convinced life was everywhere in the universe and ET would be coming or had definately visited. It was whilst "eating this stuff up" that I gradually came around and formed a view that life even though it is abundant on this planet could very well be and is most likely very rare in the universe. Even simple life forms such as single cell animals are likely to be extremely rare, what then the chances that those rare life forms actually evolve or develope into sentient beings actually capable of searching out other life forms or travelling across the vast expanses of the universe for whatever their purpose? Even rarer still.

On this basis and following "the life in the universe will be rare rationale", the likelihood (probability) that "ET" visited the Earth in antiquity and produced maps (for whatever reason) that could one day turn up as oddities in a Turkish Admirals personal collection, I would say is very small indeed. Does not mean it did not happen but equally the existence of the maps does not mean it did happen.

People need to temper their enthusiasm for trying to explain artifacts and oddities that defy a rational expanation. The fervour and gusto that people exhibit sometimes when discussing their opinions on unexplained phenomena is almost akin to religious zeal. Look at you. I make a comment about Erik von Daniken and you are all over me wanting me to disprove his theories. What about I chuck that one right back at you and ask YOU to PROVE "his"(sic) theories.

PS. I am surprised he could find a publisher that would publish any thing he wrote after the garbage he produced about the elaborate tunnel system that he found in Latin America somewhere. He took and published photos and described the whole system in great detail. I think that rubbish was in book 5 or 6, so I am blown away that any body would read him let alone publish him after that little fiasco. I know that was the last time I ever picked up an Eric von Daniken book.

You see, I was one of the zealots and he destroyed my faith. Thanks be to Eric. For he madeth me walk down another path to enlightenment.

let a player play dude. I am personally thankful that Eric has been so passionate in getting his views out there. More than any of us have done so lets not hate.

No exceptions have been found to a law. Theories can be disproven.

My original hypothesis on "laws vs theories" has just been backed by your evidence and now their is no evidence to disprove me it is now Law.;)
ie: My word=law..........:)

I'm not putting to you that any laws have been disproven, or that theories haven't been disproven either.
Your original hypothesis that by hierarchy theories are theories because they don't have enough evidence to become laws is still flawed.
The theory of evolution is never going to "become" a law, it will always be the theory of evolution. This does not mean it hasn't enough evidence or that some laws wont be included within the theory in the future.

By the same token there is no scientific evidence against evolution, and most people consider it the "fact of evolution", i respectfully mention (hi colin) even large religious groups like the Vatican have officially conceded the legitimacy of evolution as fact for over 100yrs (or there about).

Longi....If I could prove his theories, I would become the father of the new world as the religions of the world collapse one after the other. I actually think that some of Von Danikens ideas are slightly over the top, sometimes a plate is just a pretty plate. He wasn't the first, nor did he claim to be but he was the one to bring it to the world and popularise it. He also took a small idea at the time and travelled the world, measuring, photographing and cataloging the evidence for his theories. He opened both your and my minds to all sort of possibilities, so his job is done. I'm also not some Von Danikenist zealot or something, I don't agree with all his findings, I haven't seen about the tunnels but most that have tried to disprove his ideas to this day, come out looking like fools reaching for any other explanation.

Australis....Every day a new discovery is found to completely flip evolution on its head. Not disproving evolution but sending it in a new direction. This is why it is still a "theory" and not the "law of evolution". The last post I wrote was just having fun with words:)

let a player play dude. I am personally thankful that Eric has been so passionate in getting his views out there. More than any of us have done so lets not hate.

Anybody can play, dude, you just need to know the rules and more importantly how to play. Perhaps you need some help in this area as well.
I just told you they are not his views. He ripped most of them of people who peddled this stuff years before him. By the way I do not hate anybody, especially not Eric von Daniken whom I merely regard with complete contempt.

I dont need the help mate but thanks for the offer. :)
So he ripped them off? who cares? he is just spreading the word.
If you have a problem with others opinions then simply don't post on the thread.
Cheers

Longi....If I could prove his theories, I would become the father of the new world as the religions of the world collapse one after the other. I actually think that some of Von Danikens ideas are slightly over the top, sometimes a plate is just a pretty plate. He wasn't the first, nor did he claim to be but he was the one to bring it to the world and popularise it. He also took a small idea at the time and travelled the world, measuring, photographing and cataloging the evidence for his theories. He opened both your and my minds to all sort of possibilities, so his job is done. I'm also not some Von Danikenist zealot or something, I don't agree with all his findings, I haven't seen about the tunnels but most that have tried to disprove his ideas to this day, come out looking like fools reaching for any other explanation.

Australis....Every day a new discovery is found to completely flip evolution on its head. Not disproving evolution but sending it in a new direction. This is why it is still a "theory" and not the "law of evolution". The last post I wrote was just having fun with words:)

Fugawi,

That is why these type of phenomena are unexplained because noone can prove or disprove ANY suggestion some quack or rocket scientist wants to make about them. I'll give credit where credit is due Eric von Daniken did indeed popularise what was already a growing movement or undercurrent of thought that the Earth had been visited at some time in its History. The one thing he did that no one before him actually did was to use a religious word in the title of his first book. It became a best seller. Yes he did indeed travel the world cataloguing and photographing and measuring as you say, what he was doing was following up on leads from other authors who had already expressed their view about a particular oddity or phenomena and then he would take it to the next level and include it in his works as evidence of ET having visited. No problem with using other peoples work to build your own discussion to support your own conclusions, but you have to acknowledge that it is other peoples work. He did not do this on many occassions.

I must admit I have not heard of many sceptics trying to offer up any alternative suggestions for some of the "it must have been ET" conclusions offered up by the ET was here lobby, (but then as I said earlier I switched that off 30 odd years ago so I have not been listening) but they could not be any more foolish then some of the "theories" (sic) von Daniken dreamt up in some of his follow up offerings after Chariots of the Gods.

Thanks for making me think about it all again, I think I'll go back to concentrating on my dragons though, it is more fun and much more interesting.

Cheers

I dont need the help mate but thanks for the offer. :)
So he ripped them off? who cares? he is just spreading the word.
If you have a problem with others opinions then simply don't post on the thread.
Cheers

I have already signed off, thanks for your comments though, much appreciated. I am just trying to help by trying to correct information that was being posted that was not entirely correct or right. Sorry you got ticked off about it. The only time I have a problem with other peoples opinions is when they get belligerent expressing them.

Cheerio

Last edited:
I would like to think that aliens would be using other dimensions (string theory) and we can not even fathom how they move and experience life. If they were in the 6th dimension they could travel time and space we would travel to the video store yet still be able to communicate with their peers at the same time they do that.
Mind blowing.

I would like to think that aliens would be using other dimensions (string theory) and we can not even fathom how they move and experience life. If they were in the 6th dimension they could travel time and space we would travel to the video store yet still be able to communicate with their peers at the same time they do that.
Mind blowing.

I already do that... I text my missuses and say "What do you want to see, I am at the video shop...."

Haha but Paul, that text message would have to go forwards or backwards in time to a different place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back